We were ten miles up the highway when I happened to see this classified ad in the paper.
卡车在公路上开出了十英里的时候我才看到报上的分类广告。
(He hands the paper to Harry and sits down in the chair.)
(他把报纸递给哈里自己坐进了理发椅。)
I'm going out to the house, after all. Just for the weekend of course, then back to work in Salinas again.
我这就回家过周末,然后回萨利纳斯干两三个月的活,
Two or three months, I think I'll have enough to come back for a long time. Clay come by?
我想那会儿挣下的钱够在家里过上一阵子。克莱来过吗?
No, I've got the money here.
没有,钱还在我这儿。
OK, I'll take it out myself, but first let me have the works—shave, haircut, shampoo, massage.
那我就自己带回家,不过先给我来个全套服务——刮胡子、剪发、洗头、按摩。
Sure thing, Clark.
没问题,克拉克。
(He bends the chair back, and begins to lather Clark's face. Miss McCutcheon, dressed neatly, looking like another person almost, comes in.)
(他把理发椅往后倒下,开始给克拉克刮脸。麦卡琴小姐走了进来,她着装整齐,好像换了个人似的。)
Well?
怎么样?
You look fine, Miss McCutcheon.
你现在的样子很好,麦卡琴小姐。
I don't mean that. I mean the oyster.
我不是问你这件事。我问的是牡蛎。
Oh, that! There was a pearl in it.
哦,那件事,里面有颗珍珠。
I don't believe it.
我不信。
A big pearl.
一颗大珍珠。
You might have done me the courtesy of waiting until I had come back before opening it.
出于礼貌,你应该等我回来以后再打开牡蛎的。
Couldn't wait.
等不及了。
Well, I don't believe you, but I've come for my haircut. I'll sit down and wait my turn.
我不相信你的话。不过我是来剪发的,我就坐在这里等。