Instead, though, he set the suitcase down and came to the raft.
然而,他却放下手提箱,走向木筏。
He stepped onto it and sat down, as if we'd just launched the raft and were sailing down Kings River.
他迈进去坐了下来,似乎我们已经把木筏放入水里正在金斯河上漂流一样。
He put his hand over the side, as if into the cold water of Kings River,
他的手放在一边,就像是放在冰冷的金斯河水中一样,
and he looked around, as if the raft were passing between vineyards and orchards.
然后他环顾四周,就像木筏从葡萄园和果树园之间经过。
After a moment he got up, stepped out of the raft, and picked up the suitcase.
过了一会儿,他站起身来,走下木枝,提起了箱子。
There were no tears in his eyes now, but he just couldn't say good-bye.
现在,虽然他的眼里没有泪水,但他还是没有说出“再见”。
For a moment I thought he was going to give up the idea of leaving home and go back to bed.
有那么一刻,我觉得他要放弃离家出走的念头,会再回到床上去睡觉。
Instead, he said, "I'll never go into that house again."
但是,他却说:“我再也不会踏进家门一步了。”
"Do you hate them? Is that why?"
“你恨他们吗?是这个原因吗?”
"No," he said, but now he began to cry, as if he were eight or nine years old, not almost seventeen.
“不,”他说,可是此刻他开始哭泣,就像是八九岁的孩子,不像是快满17岁的人。
I picked up the raft, tipped it over, and jumped on it until some of the boards we had so carefully nailed together broke.
我抬起木筏,把它翻了过来,在上面使劲地跳着,一直跳到被我们小心钉上去的木板都开始断裂了为止。
Then I began to run. I didn't turn around to look at him again.
然后我跑开了,再也没有回头看他一眼。
I ran and walked all the way to where we had planned to launch the raft, about six miles.
一路上我连走带跑,一直走了大概6英里,来到我们计划放木筏下水的地方才停下来。
I sat on the riverbank and tried to think.
我坐在河边开始沉思。
It didn't do any good, though. I just didn't understand, that's all.
但是没起任何作用,我就是不能理解,就是这样。