Such is the life or death of an infantry soldier in France in the summer of 1944.
这就是1944年夏天一个步兵在法国经历的生和死的考验。
These actions will be repeated many times...
这些行动会不断重复多次……
the scenery will change, from small fields separated by hedgerows to a flat landscape with windmills to a forest covered with snow.
只是周遭景物不同,从灌木树篱分隔开的小块农田到遍布风车的辽阔平原,再到白雪皑皑的森林地带。
The soldiers will pass through villages.
士兵们穿过座座村庄,
Now they are on the banks of a river, and rowing across in rubber boats.
此时来到河畔,划着橡皮艇渡河。
Finally they are among mountains.
他们最终又挺进到崇山峻岭之间。
I was discharged from the US Army in 1945 and went home.
1945年,我从美国陆军复员回家乡,
I returned to the university.
重返大学读书。
I have a vague recollection of sitting with other students in a room—only a few around a long table.
我还模糊地记得,我和其他学生一起坐在一间教室里——其实只是几个学生围坐在一张长桌子旁边,正在讨论着某部名著。
Some great book was being discussed; it was the course for upper division students known as the Colloquium.
这门课是高年级学生上的,被称作“学术研讨会”。
I was reading furiously about... everything.
我在如饥似渴地阅读着各类书籍。
When I was not reading I was writing stories, essays, poems...
我不看书时便写小说、散文、诗歌……