The university informed me that before I could return I had to be cleared by their doctor.
大学通知我,我返校前需经校医批准。
He picked up a folder and said, "You aren't going to be so taken up with your music, are you?"
校医拿起一个文件夹,说道:“你不会忙着搞音乐,是吧?”
The question was probably one of their tricks, to test my sanity.
这个问题大概是他们的第一个把戏,是要考察我的精神是否正常。
He spoke again, saying that I ought to go out in the world and "meet the common man."
他又说,我应该到外面的世界走一走,“见一见普通人”。
I was silent.
我没有吭声,
I had seen the common man...
心想,我可见过普通人……
his guts spilled in a road, his limbs strewn in a field.
他的肠子流到了路上,肢体被抛撒到田地里。
The doctor told me that he could not recommend my returning to the college.
校医告诉我,他不会推荐我回到大学学习。
It was only on the way home that I realized that he had been looking at the wrong folder.
在我回家的途中,我才意识到,他一直在看着别人的病例,不是我的。
So I looked for work and found it as a copyboy on a newspaper.
于是,我便开始寻找工作,在一家报社找到一份抄抄写写的工作。
If I stayed with it, I might someday be a reporter.
如果我干下去,也许有一天会成为一名记者。
But this didn't appeal to me.
但是我对这种工作不感兴趣。
I didn't have the fascination with gossip that a reporter needs to have—
我并不热衷于社会花边新闻,而这是作为一名记者所必须具备的条件——
whether it is about a quarrel between nations or about a politician and his mistress.
不管是有关国家之间的争端,还是关于某个政客和他的情妇的花边新闻,记者都要感兴趣。
Then I worked for an import-export firm.
随后,我为一家进出口公司工作,
But this too did not appeal to me;
可这份工作也吸引不了我;
to succeed in this kind of business you have to think about the money you can make, and I preferred to think about other things.
要是想在这种事业上取得成功,你要会算计能赚多少钱,我宁愿想些其他的事情。