But Mr Harraby-Ribston had reached a point at which he must either speak or burst and, preferring the former alternative,
但是,哈利比-里怕斯顿先生却已到了不说出来就要爆发的地步,因此,他还是发话了。
he said: "Excuse me, sir, but I must say, you surprise me."
他说:“打扰了,先生,但是我不得不说,你使我感到惊奇。”
Mr Crowther raised a languid eye from his book.
克劳瑟先生从他的书上抬起了倦怠的眼睛。
"Surprise you?" he said.
“让你惊奇? ”他说,
"Does reading in the train surprise you?"
“在火车上读书让你感到惊奇?”
"No, no!" said Mr Harraby-Ribston.
“不,不! ”哈利比-里伯斯顿回答道,
"I wasn't referring to that.
“我不是指那个,
What surprises me is that you weren't surprised when I threw my suitcase out of the window."
让我惊奇的是当我把手提箱扔出窗外时,你却没有感到惊奇。”
"Indeed? That surprised you? You're very easily surprised."
“真的吗?让你感到吃惊了?你也太容易吃惊了。”
"I don't know about that.
“这我倒没有意识到。
Surely, surely, my dear sir, it was, to say the least of it, an unusual sight.
不过,我敢肯定,亲爱的先生,这至少可以说是不寻常的一幕吧。
I dare bet you've never before seen a man throw a suitcase from the window of a moving train."
我敢打赌你以前从未见过一个人在行驶的火车上往窗外扔手提箱吧。”