Mr Crowther reflected.
克劳瑟先生想了一想说:
"I don't know that I have; but then, to the best of my recollection, I've never seen a man eat a raw turnip in the train or dance a Highland Fling during family prayers for that matter.
“我没见过;但是据我回忆,我也从未看见过一个人在火车上吃生萝卜,或者在家人祷告时跳苏格兰高地舞。
But what of it?
但是,那又怎样?
If one allowed oneself to be surprised at anything, however insignificant, one's whole life would consist of a series of trivial astonishments."
如果一个人允许自己对任何无关紧要的事都惊奇的话,那么他的整个生命都将由一系列微不足道的惊奇构成。”
"And you think it an insignificant act to throw one's suitcase out of a railway-carriage window?"
“那你认为把手提箱扔出火车窗外是一件微不足道的事情吗?”
"Totally!" said Mr Crowther, and his eyes again sought his book.
“完全正确! ”克劳瑟先生回答道,接着他的目光又投向了书本。
"Then what, if I may ask," said the other, evidently somewhat nettled, "would you consider a significant act?"
“那么,我是否可以问一下,”对方说道,明显有点儿被激怒了,“你认为什么是重要的事?”
Mr Crowther shrugged his shoulders wearily.
克劳瑟先生厌倦地耸了耸肩:
"Perhaps I would have thought it significant if the suitcase had been mine."
“如果那个手提箱是我的,我可能会认为它很重要。”
"I see.
“我明白了。
You think yourself more important than me."
你认为你自己比我重要。”