The other waved his hand airily.
对方得意地挥了挥手:
"There are other ways, simpler ways."
“用其他的方法,更简单的方法。”
"I should like to know them," said Mr Harraby-Ribston.
“我很想知道是什么方法,”哈利比-里伯斯顿先生说。
"I don't think," said Mr Crowther, "that my particular method would be quite in your line."
克劳瑟先生回答说:“我认为我的那种特殊的方法不适合你。”
"But why not?"
“但是为什么不适合我呢?”
Mr Harraby-Ribston was simply bubbling with curiosity.
哈利比-里伯斯顿先生简直抑制不住内心的好奇。
"Why not? Well, my method requires...
“为什么不?噢,我的方法需要……
what shall I say? ...reticence, tact, and a lot of very careful planning."
我该怎么说呢?……缄默、老练,还要有许多周密的计划。”
"And you think I'm incapable of that?"
“你认为我做不到吗?”
"Well," said Mr Crowther, "I should have said that reticence was not your strong point;
“好吧!”克劳瑟先生说,“我应该说缄默不是你的强项,
and your evident desire to arouse surprise in others—that, if you were to adopt my method, might land you in a very uncomfortable position."
显然你有很强的欲望去使别人惊奇——如果你采用我的方法的话,会把自己置于一个很不利的境地。”
"You interest me enormously," said Mr Harraby-Ribston.
“你激起了我的强烈兴趣,”哈利比-里伯斯顿先生说,
"Now do, please, just tell me what you did."
“现在就说出来吧,拜托,只告诉我 你做了什么。”