When I Grow up
当我长大的时候
In kindergarten, my class was asked,
在幼儿园时,老师问我们:
“What do you want to be when you grow up?”
“你们长大了想干什么?”
Crayons danced across sheets of paper to illustrate our dream jobs.
彩色蜡笔在纸上飞舞,描绘着我们梦想的工作。
Our drawings were hung in the hallway for our parents to see at Back to School Night.
我们的画被挂在走廊里,好让我们的父母在“返校之夜”可以看到。
I remember looking down the line
我记得放眼望去,
and seeing pictures of ballet dancers dancing,
有的画上是正在跳舞的芭蕾舞演员,
firefighters putting out a big fire,
有的是正在扑灭大火的消防员,
and spacemen leaping across the moon—
有的是正在月球上跳跃行走的宇航员,
jobs that were seen as typical dreams of five-year-olds.
这些工作都是五岁孩子梦想中的工作。
My picture showed a stick figure with brown hair holding a bottle of orange juice over something like a counter.
我画的是一个留着棕色头发的人物线条,她站在柜台前,手里拿着一瓶橙汁。
Underneath was my hardly readable handwriting:
画的下面是我那难以辨认的字:
When I grow up, I want to work at the Market Basket
长大后,我想在“购物篮”杂货店工作,
because it would be fun to swipe orange juice across the scanner at the checkout counter.
因为在收银台旁边用扫描仪扫橙汁的条形码会很有趣。
To this day, my parents won’t let me forget
至今,我的父母都没有让我忘记:
that out of everything I could have wished to be,
在所有我可以希望拥有的工作当中,
my five-year-old self wished to work at the local grocery store.
五岁的我只是想在当地的食品杂货店工作。