A part of her hollered with laughter, sang: "You stupid boy, you stupid boy, I can see that, can't I?
她内心深处大笑地喊着:“你这个傻子,你这个傻子,难道我看不见吗?”
She said, "It looks nice." She said the wrong thing and her face felt hot and she made herself look away so that she would not know his reaction. It was true though, he did look nice; he looked decent now.
她说:“这样很好。”她又说错话了,脸上感觉很烫,她把脸转过去,这样就不会看到他的反应。但是他真的看起来很好;他看起来很得体。
She should have said to Bryan, when they first held their coffee mugs in their hands and were searching for an empty table, "Let's sit with Asafa and the others." Mistakes follow mistakes. Across the cafeteria, the Turkish girl saw them together and raised her perfect eyebrows. Badr met Shadia's eyes and quickly looked away. Shadia looked at Bryan and he was different, different without the earring and the ponytail, transformed in some way. Maybe the boys who smashed Badr's windows looked like Bryan, but with fiercer eyes, no glasses. She must push him away her. She must make him dislike her.
当他们拿着咖啡杯找空位子的时候,她本可以对莱恩说,“我们和阿萨法还有其他人坐在一起吧。”一个错误接着一个错误。经过咖啡厅时,那个土耳其女孩看到他们在一起,扬了扬她那漂亮的眉毛。巴德尔与莎迪雅眼神接触,很快就转移了目光。迪雅看着布莱恩,没有了耳环和马尾辫,他变得很不一样。可能那些打碎巴德尔玻璃的男孩就像布莱恩一样,但是他们有凶狠的眼神,不戴眼镜。她必须要把他从她身边赶走,她要让他不喜欢她。
He asked her where she came from and when she replied, he said, "Where's that?"
他问她从哪里来,她回答以后,他说,“那又是在哪里?”
Africa, with sarcasm. "Do you know where that is?"
“非洲,”她带着讽刺说。“你知道它在哪吗?”
His nose and cheeks under the rims of his glasses went red. Good, she thought, good. He will leave me now in peace.
他的鼻子和眼镜下面的面颊变红了。很好,她想,太好了,他很快就会让我清净了。
He said, "Ah know Sudan is in Africa I meant where exactly in Africa."
他说:“我知道苏丹在非洲,我的意思是非洲的具体位置。”
Northeast, south of Egypt Where are you from?
“东北部,在埃及的南部,你来自于哪?”
Peterhead. it's north of here. By the sea.
“彼得黑德,爱丁堡的北部,靠近海边。”
"your father works in Peterhead?"
“你爸爸在彼得黑德工作吗?”
"Aye, he does."
“是的。”
She had grown up listening to the proper English of the BBC World Service only to come to Britain and find people saying "yes" like it was said back home in Arabic: "aye."
她从小是听英国广播公司国际频道的标准英语长大的,不料到了英国却发现人们说“yes”时跟家乡人用阿拉伯语说“aye”的发音很相似。
"What does he do, your father?"
“你爸爸是做什么的?”
He looked surprised. "Ma dad's a joiner."
他看起来很惊讶。“我爸爸是一名工匠。”
Fareed hired people like that to work on the house. Ordered them about.
法瑞德就是雇佣像他爸爸这样的人在家里干活。对他们下命令。
"And your mother?" she asked.
“那你妈妈呢?”她又问。
He paused a little, stirred sugar in his coffee with a plastic spoon. "She's a lollipop lady."
他停了一会,用塑料勺搅拌咖啡里面的糖。“她是卖棒棒糖的。”
Shadia smirked into her coffee, took a sip.
莎迪雅得意地笑了,然后了一口咖啡。
My father, she said proudly, "is doctor, a specialist." Her father was a gynaecologist. The woman who was now his wife had been one of his patients.
“我父亲,”她骄傲地说,“是一名医生,一名专家。”她爸爸是一名妇科专家。他现在的妻子就曾经是他的病人。