So what other things do you do in your country that are different from other countries, Waled?
还有什么其他的事情你们国家做的和别的国家不一样吗,瓦利德?
Well, you know in many countries people point with their first finger.
嗯,要知道在很多国家,人们都是伸出食指来指东西的。
However, in Brunei that can cause offence, so we use our thumb to point.
在文莱,这会造成冒犯,所以我们都用大拇指来指东西。
It's quite funny watching the new foreign teachers trying to adjust to doing that.
看着新来的外国老师努力适应这一点真是很有趣。
Another thing is, if you came to Brunei, you would have to take off your shoes before going into someone's house.
另一件事就是如果你到了文莱,在进去别人的屋子前要脱下鞋子。
Many foreigners have trouble getting accustomed to it.
许多外国人都很难适应这一点。
But what is really interesting is that there are sometimes great cultural differences even between native English speakers.
但真正有趣的是,有时候在以英语为母语的人之间还有很大的文化差别。
I am always amazed at how Americans are so different from us Brits.
我经常感到奇怪为什么美国人和我们英国人那么不同。
Even though we share the same language—with different accents, of course—our customs are not always alike.
即使我们拥有同样的语言—不同的口音,当然,我们的文化习俗也不总是一样的。
Really?
真的吗?
Yes, for example, I have fond childhood memories of Bonfire Night, but my American friends are not familiar with that particular festival
是的,比如,我有关于篝火夜晚的美好的童年记忆,但我的美国朋友并不熟悉这个特别的节日。
Well, I'm not familiar with it either.
嗯,我也不熟悉。
Oh, it's a celebration that takes place on November 5th every year.
噢,这是场在每年11月5日举行的庆典。
People light large fires outside, and everyone gathers around and has a party.
人们在室外燃起火焰,每个人都聚在一起举行晚会。
There are plenty of fireworks, and everyone eats hot dogs and other food that can be cooked over the fire. It's great fun.
那时会燃放许多烟花,每个人都吃热狗和其他可以在火上烤的食物。十分有趣。
Well, it's time for me to go.
好了,时间到了我该走了。
This has been a really interesting chat.
这真是个有趣的谈话。
I think now I understand a lot more about different cultures and what is appropriate behaviour.
我想我现在了解了更多文化差异和哪些是适当的行为了。
It's really helped me with my homework!
这真的为我的作业帮了很大的忙!
I hope we can talk again soon.
我希望我们可以很快再次聊天。
After all, learning about cultural differences is a good way to understand more about each other.
总之,学习文化差异是能够更深入了解彼此的好方法。
See you later!
再见!
See you!
再见!
Right, later!
好的,再见!