职场社交英语 Lesson 51:你得要沉得住气
SCENE① C 文斯与艾文在男洗手间里
【你得要沉得住气】
Vince: That's right. Once the contract with Stars.com is final, we'll 1) deal with Zina.
文斯: 没错。只要跟Stars.com的合约一签下来,我们就来对付吉娜。
Elvin: I can't wait to see the 2) expression on her face when we 3) dump her.
艾文: 我等不及要看她被我们甩掉时,脸上的表情了。
Vince: Don't jump the gun. She's in the driver's seat right now. You have to be patient.
文斯: 别高兴得太早。现在还是她在作主。你得要沉得住气。
Elvin: Don't worry. I'm patient, but 4) vengeance will be mine.
艾文: 别担心。我很沉得住气,不过此仇不报非君子。
Vince: Settle down, Elvin. If you're not careful, you'll 5) give our plan away. Zina's smart, you know.
文斯: 稳住,艾文。你要是不小心,就会泄露我们的计划。吉娜可是很聪明的。
Elvin: OK. A couple of deep breaths. OK. I'v fine.
艾文: 好。深呼吸几口气。好了。我没事了。
语言详解:
A: How do you know he was lying?
你怎么知道他在说谎?
B: I could tell from the expression on his face.
我看他脸上的表情就能分辨。
【jump the gun 如意算盘打太早】
jump the gun 的原意,是指在赛跑的时候,在鸣枪之前就偷跑了出去,而在使用上,就是指事情尚未有定论,就信心满满而沾沾自喜地妄下断语,犹如中文“高兴得太早,如意算盘打得太早”的意思。
A: So, when are we going to get married?
那我们何时要结婚啊?
B: Whoa! Let's not jump the gun. This is only our first date.
哇!我们别这么早就打如意算盘。这才是我们第一次约会而已。
【be in the driver's seat 控制全局】
be in the driver's seat 意指“坐在驾驶座上”,坐在这个位置的人,理当是在“控制全局,掌控一切”。
A: Chris is happy as long as he can be in the driver's seat.
只要让克里斯掌控一切,他就高兴得要死。
B: All men are like that.
男人都是那样。
1) deal with 处理
2) expression (n.) 表情
3) dump (v.) 抛弃,倾到(垃圾)
4) vengeance (n.) 报复,复仇
5) give...away 泄露(秘密)