William: Watch out, he is going to jump the gun again…
看,他又要抢跑了。
Yang Li: You don't know that yet, so don't you jump the gun.
你还不知道他是否抢跑,别着急。
William: Look, what did I say? He did jump the gun. It will have to start all over again now.
看,我说什么来着?他确实抢跑了。必须还得重新开始。
Yang Li: Yes, you are right. But could you just switch off the TV for two minutes please? It's time for Authentic Real English.
你说得对。但是你能将电视关掉一会儿吗?到地道英语节目了。
William: Oh yes. Authentic Real English from bbcukchina.com. Hi, I am William Kremer.
Yang Li: 大家好我是杨莉。今天我们要学的短语是 to jump the gun, 最初来自体育比赛,意思是抢跑,抢跳。
William: Yes. It's a phrase that people might use when they are talking about a race, like a swimming race.
当人们谈论比赛时会用到的短语,比如游泳比赛。
----------------
Example
Woman 1: The 100-metre freestyle was exciting. However, nearly every time someone jumped the gun.
一百米自由泳很令人激动,尽管如此,几乎每次都有人抢跳。
Woman 2: Oh, that's a bit disappointing. But you enjoyed it, did you?
那有点令人失望。但是你很喜欢看游泳比赛,不是吗?
Woman 1: Oh yes, it's my favourite sport.
是的,那是我最喜欢得运动。
William: If someone jumps the gun, it means that they start too soon, before the starting signal.
如果有人抢跳,那意思就是他们开始得太快了,比赛信号没给就已经开始了。
Yang Li: Which can be quite frustrating for everyone including the audience.
那对于每个人来说包括观众都是很烦人的事。
William: More often nowadays, people use this phrase when someone says something or does something too soon, especially without thinking carefully about it.
如今更多的是,这个短语用来形容某人说东西或做事很匆忙,尤其是不加思考地做。
Yang Li: 你的意思是说,在没有弄清情况之前就抢先说话或行动,是吗?
William: Kind of. Let's hear some more examples.