William: Hello, you're listening to Authentic Real English, I'm William and today I'm joined by Jean. 大家好,你们在收听的节目是地道美语。我是威廉,今天我的搭档是珍。
Jean: Hi everyone. 大家好。
William: Now today, I want to share something with you. I'm just so shocked. I have to tell someone. 今天,我想和大家分享一些东西。我刚刚被震惊到了。我不得不告诉其他人。
Jean: Oh what's up William? 威廉,怎么了?
William: My parents have suggested that I should move back home. I think they've gone doolally. D.O.O.L.A.L.L.Y. 我父母建议我搬回家。我想他们疯了。
Jean: They have gone doolally? 你是说你的父母去了一个叫做 doolally 的地方吗?
William: No, the word doolally is an adjective that can be used to describe someone who is insane.
Jean: Ah, doolally 是一个形容词,表示某人是 insane, crazy, mad. 精神不正常,发疯的、疯掉了。
William: We can say that someone has gone doolally. 我们可以说一些人疯掉了。
Jean: Meaning they used to be sane but now they are insane. Sane, 精神健全的, insane 精神不正常的。
William: Yeah, that's my parents. 是的,就是我的父母。
Jean: 所以你刚才说你觉得你的父母 have gone doolally 是因为他们最近提出让你搬回家里住。
William: Yep, they must have gone crazy. I moved out over ten years ago. Why would I move back in with them now? 是的,他们一定是疯了。我不在家里住已经有十年了。我为什么要搬回去和他们一起住?
Jean: Well, they just miss you, that's all William. Maybe you should think about it. 嗯,他们只是想你了,这就是全部的原因,威廉。也许你应该考虑一下。
William: Now, I think you're going doolally Jean. 现在我觉得你也疯了,珍。
Jean: Why don't we listen to some other people using the word doolally? 为什么我们不听听别人是怎么用这个词的呢?
Examples
A: Our boss wants this project finished by the end of today. 我的老板希望今天结束前完成这个项目。
B: She's gone doolally! 她疯了!
A: Have you heard that Tracy is doing a sponsored parachute jump next week? 你听说了特雷西下周要进行赞助跳伞吗?
B: Yes, I heard. She must have gone doolally. There is no way I'd ever jump out of a plane. 是的,我听说了。她一定是疯了。让我从飞机上跳伞是不可能的事。
Jean: So they are using the word doolally 作为一个形容词使用,来表示某人是 insane, crazy, mad. 精神不正常,发疯的、疯掉了。
William: Exactly. 确实是。
Jean: So are you going to move back in with your parents now William? 所以说你现在打算和你父母一起住了吗?
William: No Jean I'm not. I would have to be doolally to do that. 不,珍,我没有打算。如果这么做了我就真的疯了。
Jean: Very good. Now, if anyone would like to hear more Authentic Real English programmes, they can visit www.bbcchina.com.cn. 好吧。现在,听众朋友们想收听地道英语节目的话,可以登录下面这个网站。
William: Yes and be sure to join us next time. Bye. 好,确定你下次继续收听。再见。
Jean: Bye. 拜拜。