1. Expression:in the hole
Explanation:Lacking money or some other resource; in debt. (负债,亏空,遇到经济困难)
Example:I'm really in the hole after that night at the casino.
在赌场的那晚之后,我就真的身无分文了。
I went into the hole on that deal and now I'm $200 in the hole.
我在那笔生意上亏了,现在负债200美元。
A:I have not seen Jane for ages, how is she going now?
我很久没有见到Jane了,她现在怎么样呢?
B: You don’t know? She has been in the hole since two years ago.
你不知道吗?他从两年前就开始负债累累了。
A: Really? Then I must go to see her.
真的吗?那我得去看看她。
2. Expression:burn a hole in the pocket
Explanation:It is usually applied to money, suggesting that the person with the money feels the need to spend it quickly. (把钱花光)
Example:I bet John will spend all his money in a few days because the money is burning a hole in his pocket.
我敢说不出几天约翰便会把钱花光,因为他是个有钱便要花光的人。
Don't let that bonus burn a hole in your pocket—save it up for something you really want.
别花光那笔将近,把它存起来去买你真正需要的东西。
I knew that he would go out and buy everything he saw because the money was burning a hole in his pocket.
我知道他会出去使见到什么买什么,因为他钱不花光就不痛快。
My allowance is burning a hole in my pocket! I can't wait until school is over, so I can go buy some baseball cards!
我的零花钱花光了——我等不到期末到来了,所以我去买了一些棒球卡。
3. Expression:in the red
Explanation:In debt. (负债,亏损,赤字)
Example:Sales began to drop and the company was soon in the red. They had to sell the building.
销售开始下跌,公司财务不久便亏损,他们只得把那幢大楼卖掉。
The annual budget of that company continues to show a deficit this year. It will go out of business because it is always in the red.
那家公司的今年年度预算继续出现亏损。因为公司时常出现赤字,不久将会关闭。
Now your company will end up financially in the red.
现在你们公司将在财政上以赤字告终。
I have so many outstanding parking tickets that I'll be in the red if I pay them all off at once!
我有这么多未付清的违章停车罚单,如果我马上把它们全部付清,我的财政就会出现赤字。
A: Jane has to sell her car, because her company has been in the red for years.
Jane不得不卖掉她的车,因为她的公司已经亏损很多年了。
B: What a pity! I hope that I can help her.
真可怜!希望我能帮上忙。
A: Don’t worry about her. She will manage to pull through the terrible periond of time in the end.
别担心她,她最终会度过这一难关的。