1. Expression:have a wolf in the stomach
Explanation:To be hungry to death. (饿极了)
Example:My boy, I think that you have a wolf in the stomach. Breakfast will be ready as soon as the sun's up and we'll have a piping hot one. Make yourself easy about that!
好家伙,我想你一定饿极了。 太阳一出来,早饭就好了。咱们就可以吃上一顿热气腾腾的饭,你尽管放心吧!(汤姆历险记)
They have a wolf in the stomach after a day's walk that they made very short work of their supper.
他们走了一天路,饿极了,因此他们很快就把晚餐吃完了。
2. Expression:keep on the down-low
Explanation:To keep something secret; not tell other people about something. (保密)
Example:Her parents wouldn’t approve of our relationship so we keep it on the down-low.
她的父母不会赞成我们之间的关系,所以我们不告诉他们。
Keep this on the down-low, Janet is planning to break up with Kevin next week.
不要告诉别人——Janet准备下周和Kevin分手。
This meeting and the entire arrangement are supposed to be kept on the down-low.
这次会议以及整个的安排应该都是保密的。
3. Expression:keep one’s ear close to the ground
Explanation:To listen for any indication of what is happening or will happen. (对一事态极其关注,密切留意)
Example:I know Kim is keeping her ear close to the ground in case word gets out about the promotion.
我知道金姆一直在密切注意事态的发展,以防有关晋升的消息传出去。
A: I'm not sure what's going to happen with this merger, so I'm keeping an ear close to the ground.
我不知道这次合并会有什么结果,所以我会密切留意。
B: Please let me know if you hear anything.
如果你听到什么,请告诉我。
A:I really want to be a succesful reporter, but I don’t know what to do. Can you give me some advice?
我真的想成为一名成功的记者,可是不知从何做起,你可以给我一些建议吗?
B:Well, to succeed as a reporter, you should first of all keep your ear close to the ground.
嗯,要想成为一名成功的记者,你首先要做到的就是对某些事态保持高度的关注。