A: I have never heard you mentioned this friend. Are you on very good terms with him or her?
我从没听你提过这个朋友,你和他/她关系很好吗?
B: We have been on good terms. She's a very nice girl, but she got in Dutch with her boss. I don't have the heart to see her pounding the pavements.
我们关系很好。她是一个非常好的女孩,但是她总是跟她的老板过不去,我不忍心看她自毁前程。
A: You must be stuck on her, or you would not use your elbow grease.
你一定是迷恋着她,否则不会这么费力。
B: Well, we hit it off with each other.
我们相处的很好。
01
on good terms with...
与某人关系好
I'm not on good terms with my boss.
我和我老板不大合得来。
Bill is on good terms with his coworkers.
比尔和他的同事关系很好。
Despite the divorce, the couple remains on good terms.
尽管离婚了,这对夫妻仍然相处融洽。
02
get in Dutch with
得罪某人
I don't want to get in Dutch with my boss.
我不想得罪我的老板。
offend
得罪;冒犯
I didn't mean to offend you.
我不是故意冒犯你的。
03
have the heart to do
有勇气做某事;忍心做某事
I didn't have the heart to break the news to her.
我不忍心把这个坏消息告诉她。
He didn't have the heart to turn down their request.
他不忍心拒绝他们的要求。
I didn't have the heart to break up with her.
我不忍心和她分手。
04
pound the pavement
为了找工作,促销产品或进行调查而在城市街上走来走去
After graduation, she spent days pounding the pavement, looking for her job.
毕业后,她花了很多天在街上走来走去,寻找工作。
The salesman pounded the pavement all morning, trying to sell his products.
销售员整个上午都在街上奔波,试图卖自己的产品。
05
be stuck on sb
迷恋某人
She is stuck on you and can't seem to move on.
她对你还有迷恋,似乎无法放下你。
06
elbow grease
刻苦努力;费力的工作
Success in this business requires a lot of elbow grease.
在这个行业取得成功需要付出大量的刻苦努力。
It took a lot of elbow grease to clean the oven.
清洁烤箱需要很多辛苦的劳动。
07
hit it off
合得来
We hit it off straight away.
我们一见如故。
I really didn't hit it off with his friends.
我和他的朋友处不来。
Do you hit it off with your husband's mother?
你和你婆婆处得来吗?