迷你对话:
A: Please tell us the exact time when the big fire broke out.
请告诉我们大火发生的确切时间。
B: The exact time? Let me think. You know, it happened at night.
确切时间?让我想一想。你知道,火灾是晚上发生的。
A: But we need the exact time. What time?
但我们需要具体时间,那是几点钟。
B: Oh, I remember. It was about 10 o'clock. When I was about to go to bed, suddenly I heard "help" outside.
噢,我想起来了。那时大约10点钟。当我正准备上床睡觉时,突然听到门外有人喊“救命”。
地道表达:
break out
小编讲解:
突发的事件常令人措手不及,而突然出现在脸上,身上的东西也会叫人不知如何是好,出现在脸上的一般是指青春痘或是红疹之类的,它们通常是生活失常或紧张的情绪下产生的。短语break out包括的范围有两种:一种是指“突发的战争,争论,打架等”,另一种则是指“突然出现的青春痘等”。
支持范例:
Eg. He predicted that war would break out in the next few years.
他预言战争将在下几年中爆发。
Eg. A huge forest fire broke out after the lightning struck.
闪电打下来之后,突然引起一场森林大火。
Eg. I break out in a rash if I eat chocolate.
我一吃巧克力, 就出皮疹。
Eg. The thought made him break out in a cold sweat.
这么一想,他轰的一下冒了汗!
Eg. This made me break out in a cold sweat.
这吓得我出了一身冷汗。
词海拾贝:
1. be about to do something:正准备去做某事
Eg. She was about to dish up when some guests came.
她刚要上菜开饭,这时来了一些客人。
Eg. As she was about to speak, I frowned her down.
她刚要开口,我就皱皱眉示意她别出声。
2. at night:在深夜
Eg. He warned me against going there at night.
他警告我晚上不要到那去。
Eg. They decided to attack at night.
他们决定夜晚进攻。
Eg. It is a bad habit to sit up late at night.
熬夜是个坏习惯。
3. go to bed:去睡觉,就寝
Eg. I shall have a hot bath and go to bed.
我要去洗个热水澡,然后睡觉。
Eg. There is nothing to do, so I may as well go to bed.
没什么事可做,我还是上床睡觉好了。
4. exact time:确切时间
5. big fire:大火