41 Decision
决定
“What's the commotion?” I asked.
“乱哄哄的吵什么呀?”我问道。
In the commodity business, it's commonplace for people to be shouting and running around.
在商品买卖这一行,人们喊叫着跑来跑去是很平常的事。
But this was different.
但今天不一样。
“Is there some kind of incredible Christmas sale?” I muttered to myself.
“是不是又有什么让人傻眼的圣诞节特大甩卖呀?”我嘟囔着。
Personally, I'm not fond of the way merchants commercialize every holiday. It gets worse every year.
就我而言,我很讨厌每次过节时商人们搞的这些商业化的炒作,这些玩艺儿一年不如一年。
Suddenly, my sectary blasted through my office door.
突然,我得秘书咣的一声撞进办公室。
“The President called. He wants to commission you to advise the committee on farm commerce.
“总统打过来电话,他想委任您作农业贸易委员会的顾问。
He says that the local commissioner recommended you for the job because you're the most committed commercial lawyer in the farming community.
他说当地专员推荐您担任这一职务,因为您是农业社区中最忠诚的商业律师。
What shall I tell him?
我应该怎样答复总统?
The commonsense answer would be yes, wouldn't it?”
按常识来讲,应该回答Yes,对吧?”
I took three deep breaths.
我做了第三次深呼吸。
Of course the answer should be yes.
回答当然应该是Yes。
Who wouldn't want a job with a food salary and commodious living quarters?
谁会不要一个薪水高、住房宽敞的工作呢?
I could give up being a commuter and trade in my compact car.
我可以不用再做个上下班做公车的乘客,也可以把我的小型汽车折价换新车。
No more using communal toilets.
不用再去公共厕所。
I suppose my status would never leave me short of female companions.
我想凭我的地位身边的女性伴侣应该不会少。
On the other hand, advising the committee is a twenty-four-hour-a-day commitment.
再者,给委员会做顾问可是一天24小时的义务。
When would I find time for my hobbies?
我什么时候会有时间搞我的业余爱好呢?
I don't think my dog will like it if I turn our daily one-hour walk into a five-minute compaction.
我想我的狗会很不高兴,它每天1小时的散步被我压缩成5分钟的溜达了。
Then again, he's only a dog.
可他不过是条狗嘛。
It's not like I'm committing a crime.
我又不是在犯罪。
In fact, with the extra money I earn, I can hire someone to walk him for two hours every day.
实际上,等我挣了更多的钱,就能雇人每天陪他走上两个小时了。
Smiling, I looked up at my secretary.
我微笑着抬起头对秘书说:
“Suzette, call the President and tell him I'm in my way.”
“苏泽特,给总统打电话,告诉他我已经能动身了。”