44 Geometry Class
几何课
“You have to conceal your boredom,” John whispered to me, waking me from my nap.
“你得掩饰一下你的厌倦情绪,”约翰低声对我说道,一面把我从瞌睡中唤醒。
“I can't conceive of a way to hide it,” I replied with a yawn.
“我想不出掩饰的法子,”我打着哈欠回答道。
I had been sitting in geometry class for two hours, waiting for the professor to conclude his lecture about concentric circles and concaved figures.
我已经上了两个小时的几何课,一直等着教授结束这个关于同心圆和凹面图的讲座。
I understand the concept of geometry but how often am I really going to use it in everyday life?
我理解几何的概念,但日常生活中我哪里用的着那玩意?
When would I ever need to compute the circumference of a circle?
我几时曾需要计算圆周长了?
I'm not very interested in conceptual thinking.
我对概念思考不甚感兴趣。
I'm more interested in studying about how to maintain concord between neighboring third-world countries.
我更有兴趣了解相邻的第三世界国家间是如何维持和睦关系的。
“Are you going to the concert tonight?” John whispered again.
“你晚上去听音乐会吗?”约翰又低声说道,
“They're playing a wonderful new concerto.
“今晚会演奏一出新的协奏曲,特棒。
You make a conciliatory gesture towards Jane by inviting her to come with you.”
你可以邀请简跟你一块来,就算是和解的表示。”
“Sorry John, I have basketball practice,” I replied.
“对不起,约翰,我得练篮球,”我回答道,
“My foolish conceit and male pride won't allow me to contact Jane.
“我愚蠢的自负和男人的骄傲不允许我跟简联系,
She slapped my face last time.
要知道她上次打了我一计耳光。
That's a pretty conclusive statement, wouldn't you agree?
那算是一切结束的表示吧,你觉得呢?
Anyway, I'm not ready for a relationship and all the concomitant pain that comes with it.”
不管怎样,我不准备恋爱了,也受不了一切随之而来的痛苦。”
“Your conception of a relationship is a bit warped.” John whispered back.
“你对恋爱的认识有点偏激。”约翰低声回答道,
“All that's required is a concerted effort between two people.
“只要两个人共同努力就行了。
Perhaps you should be more concise when you talk to Jane about your feelings.”
也许你跟简倾诉感情时应该更简明扼要些。”
“Enough! I concede!” I replied with a grin.
“够了!我让步!我笑着回答,
“I'll invite your sister to the concert.
“我将邀请你妹妹去听音乐会。
But I'm going to need your help to concoct a story that will help me save face!”
但你得帮我编造个故事,好给我留点脸面!”