We do. In the Newport house.
我们有,在新港屋子里
But it’s small. Tiny.
只要一幅小的,很小
They can paint their own. Van Gogh in a box, ladies.
女士们,你们自己也可以画,盒子里的梵高
The newest form of mass-distributed art:
大众传播的新形式:
Paint by numbers.
分解绘画
"Now everyone can be van Gogh. It’s so easy.
"现在每个人都可以成为梵高,很容易
Just follow the simple instructions...
只要按照说明...
and in minutes, you’re on your way to being an artist." ...
只要几分钟,你就可以成为一个艺术家"
Van Gogh by numbers?
按照步骤成为梵高?
Ironic, isn’t it? Look at what we have done to the man...
很有讽刺意味,是吗? 看看我们都对他做了什么...
who refused to conform his ideals to popular taste. ..
他拒绝为了大众品位改变他的理想
Who refused to compromise his integrity.
为了保持人格完整,拒绝妥协
We have put him in a tiny box and asked you to copy him.
我们把他放在小盒子里面,复制他
So the choice is yours, ladies.
所以,选择权在你们自己
You can conform to what other people expect or you can—
你们可以按照别人的期望去做,也可以--
I know. Be ourselves.
我知道,做你们自己
You’re a sight for sore eyes.
你真让我们望眼欲穿
I would’ve been on time but, silly me, I thought class was in the classroom.
我本可以不迟到的,我真笨 还以为课在教室里上呢
Glad you could join us, Mrs. Jones. We thought we’d lost you.
很高兴你能加入我们,琼斯夫人 我还以为你不会来了
There’s an unwritten rule for marr-- -Don’t bother.
有个不成文的规定-- -别麻烦了
Since your wedding, you’ve missed six classes, a paper and your midterm.
你结婚以后,已经缺了6节课 一次论文写作,和一次期中测验
Well, thank God I didn’t miss the paint-by-numbers lecture.
感谢上帝,我赶上了这堂分解作画的课
I was on my honeymoon and then I had to set up house.
我刚渡完蜜月,还得收拾屋子