62 The Church of Dentistry 牙科教会
“The letters ‘CD'denote Church of Dentistry,” the man with a mask said, pointing to the door.
“字母‘CD'表示Church of Dentistry,即牙科教会,”戴口罩的男人指着门说,
“It is a fact a denomination of the New Wave Church.
“事实上它是新浪潮教会的一个宗派组织。
Have you studied demography?
你研究过人口学吗?
A demographic analysis indicates that most of our members are dental assistants.”
一份人口统计分析表明我们的大多数成员都是牙科助手。”
“The church bishop wants to demolish all of the candy stores in the neighborhood,” he continued.
“教会主教要拆除周围居民区的所有糖果商店,”他继续说,
“But many of the church elders have objected to the proposal.
“但很多教会长老反对这个提议。
Let us enter and listen.”
让我们进去听听吧。”
“I demur to the demolition idea,” said one elder.
“我反对这项拆除计划,”一个长老说,
“It will cause outsiders to denigrate our church.”
“它会引起外界诋毁我们的教会的。”
“I must also denounce your plan,” said the senior minister.
“我也必须谴责这个计划,”一个高级牧师说,
“The candy stores are located in a dense neighborhood.
“糖果商店都位于人口稠密的居民区。
You can't deny that the density of the area would make a demolition too risky.”
不可否认这个地区的人口密度过大使得拆除工作风险很大。”
“I think your denunciation of my plan demonstrates your ignorance of the problem,” said the church bishop.
“我认为你谴责我的计划证明了你对问题的无知。”主教说,
“Candy is the root of all evil.
“糖果是万恶之源。
I should demote you from senior minister to elder.
我要把你从高级牧师降级为长老。
Do you think I'm running this church like a democracy?
你真以为我在以民主国家的方式管理教会吗?
I make the decisions here.”
这里我说了算。”
Just then, a demure female entered the room.
正在这时,一个端庄的女子走进来。
“Daddy, what are you doing?” she said to the church bishop.
“爸爸,你在干什么?”她对主教说。
She proceeded to denude the statue, fronting the church bishop's podium.
接着她掀去面对主教讲台的那座雕像的外套。
It was a sculpture of a dentist.
原来是个牙医的雕像。
Using a hammer, she put a big dent in it.
她拿起锤子砸下去,雕像被砸了一个大缺口,
It caused the statue to crack.
这就导致了雕像的破裂。
“You're the worst hypocrite in the world,” she said, shaking her head back and forth.
“你是世界上最虚伪的人。”她说着,一边不停的来回摇着头。
My jaw dropped as I saw the pieces of candy flowing from the crack.
当我看到一块块糖果从裂缝里滚落出来时,令人张口结舌、不胜惊讶。
“What's going on?” I asked the man with the mask.
“怎么回事?”我问戴口罩的人。
“I don't know,” he replied.
“我不知道,”他回答,
“But like the denouement of a complex plot, the final resolution of this scandal will take time to discover.”
“但就像一个情节复杂的小说的结尾一样,这件丑闻的最终解决办法要花很长时间才能找到。”