But at this moment Charles Darnay was trying very hard
但在此刻,查尔斯·代尔那正竭力
to persuade his old friend Mr Lorry not to go to France.
说服他的老朋友劳里先生不要去法国 。
'It's too dangerous. The weather is not good,
"那太危险了,天气也不好,
the roads are bad, think of your age, ' he said.
路也难走,还有您的年纪 。"他说 。
'My dear Charles, ' said the banker.
“我亲爱的查尔斯,"银行家说 。
'You think that, at nearly eighty years of age,
"你认为我快80岁了,
I'm too old. But that's exactly why I must go.
所以太老了,但这正是我必须去的原因 。
I have the experience, I know the business.
我有经验,也懂业务 。
My work is to find and hide papers that might be dangerous to our customers.
我的工作是去找到并收藏有可能对我们的客户有危险的文件 。
And anyway, Jerry Cruncher goes with me.
况且还有杰里·克拉彻和我一起去,
He'll take good care of my old bones.'
他会照顾好我这把老骨头的 。”
'I wish I could go, ' said Charles restlessly.'
"我希望我能去 。”查尔斯不安地说 。
I feel sorry for the people in France, and perhaps I could help them.
"我为法国人民难过,也许我能帮助他们 。
Only last night, when I was talking to Lucie'
只是昨天夜里,我和路茜谈起的时候”
'Talking to Lucie, ' repeated Mr Lorry.
"和路茜谈,”劳里先生重复道 。
'You talk about your lovely wife at the same time as you talk about going to France.
"你谈起去法国一事的同时还谈起你可爱的妻子 。
You must not go. Your life is here, with your family.'
你不能去,你的生活在这儿,和你的家人在一起 。"
人物形象分析:
他们生活腐化、治理国家无能,残害百姓却是无以复加 。资产阶级人道主义的精髓就是在于肯定人与生俱来的权利与价值 。正是从这个基点出发,狄更斯对厄弗瑞蒙德兄弟进行了最充分的揭露和最无情的批判 。达尔奈与厄弗瑞蒙德侯爵兄弟是两种截然对立的形象,其用意何在呢?显然,作者是要树立两种不同的典型,展示两种相反的前景 。