Do You Know My Work
你知道我是干什么的吗
One night a hotel caught fire, and the people who were staying in it ran out in their night clothes.
一天晚上,一家旅馆失火,住在这家旅馆里的人穿着睡衣就跑了出来。
Two men stood outside and looked at the fire.
两个人站在外面,看着大火。
"Before I came out," said one, "I ran into some of the rooms and found a lot of money. People don't think of money when they're afraid. When anyone leaves paper money in a fire, the fire burns it. So I took all the bills that I could find. No one will be poorer because I took them."
“在我出来之前,”其中一个说,“我跑进一些房间,找到了很多钱。人在恐惧时是不会想到钱的。如果有人把纸币留在火里,火就会把它烧成灰烬。所以我把我所能找到的钞票都拿走了。没人会因为我拿走这些钱就变穷了。”
"You don't know my work," said the other.
“你不知道我是干什么的。”另一个说。
"What is your work?"
“你是什么的?”
"I'm a policeman."
“我是警察。”
"Oh!" cried the first man. He thought quickly and said, "And do you know my work?"
“噢!”第一个人大叫一声。他灵机一动,说:“那你知道我是干什么的?”
"No," said the policeman.
“不知道。”警察说。
"I'm a writer. I'm always telling stories about things that never happened."
“我是个作家。我总是爱编一些子虚乌有的故事。”