Narrator:Listen to a conversation between a student and a university employee.
独白:听下面一段学生和大学职员的对话。
Student:Hi, I need to pick up the gym pass.
学生:嗨,我来拿体育馆的通行证。
Employee:OK. I'll need your name, year, and university ID.
职员:好的。我需要你的姓名,年级及学生证。
Student:Here's my ID card. And my name is Gina Kent, and I'm first year.
学生:这是我的学生证。吉娜·肯特,大学一年级。
Employee:OK. Gina. I'll type up the pass for you right away.
职员:好的,吉娜。我现在就把你的通行证打出来。
Student:Great! This is exciting. I can't wait to get started.
学生:太好了!太令人兴奋了。我等不及要开始用了。
Employee:Oh, this is a wonderful gym.
职员:噢,这是一个非常好的体育馆。
Student:That's what everybody has been saying.
学生:每个人都这么说。
Everyone is talking about the new pool, the new indoor course.
大家都在谈论新泳池,新的室内体育课。
But what I love is all the classes.
但我喜欢所有的课。
Employee:The classes…?
职员:课程?
Student:Yes, like the swimming and tennis classes and everything.
学生:是啊,像游泳课,网球课,还有所有其他课。
Employee:Oh yeah, but this pass doesn't entitle you to those.
职员:噢,是的。但这张卡不能给你上这些课的权限。
Student:It doesn't?
学生:不行吗?
Employee:No, the classes fall into separate category.
职员:不行。这跟上课是两码事。
Student:But, that's my whole reason for getting a pass. I mean, I was planning to take a swimming class.
学生:但是,这是我办通行证的全部理由啊。我的意思是,我本来打算上个游泳课的。
Employee:But that's not how it works.
职员:但这是不行的。
This pass gives you access to the gym and to all the equipment, into the pool and so forth.
这张通行证允许你使用体育馆使用所有的器材,使用游泳池等等。
But not with team practicing, so you have to check the schedule.
但不包括参与团队运动,所以你得核实一下课程安排。
Student:But what do I have to do if I want to take a class?
学生:但如果我想上课,我该做些什么呢?
Employee:You have to:one, register; and two, pay the fee for the class.
职员:你需要注册;之后付上课的学费。
Student:But that's not fair.
学生:但这不公平。
Employee:Well, I think if you can think about it. You'll see that it's fair.
职员:嗯,我觉得如果你仔细想一想,你就会发现它其实挺公平的。
Student:But people who play sports in the gym… they don't have to pay anything.
学生:可是那些在体育馆里做运动的人...他们一分钱都不用付。
Employee:Yes, but they just come in, and play or swim on their own.
职员:是,但他们只是进来,然后自己运动,游泳。
But, taking a class---that is a different story, I mean, someone has to pay the instructor.
但是,上课就不一样了。我的意思是,总有人得付钱请老师。
Student:So, if I want to enroll in a class.
学生:那,如果我想注册一门课...
Employee:Then you have to pay extra.
职员:那你就得额外付钱。
The fee isn't very high, but there's a fee. So, what class did you say you want to take?
费用并不是很高,但终归是要付的。那你想要上什么课?
Student:Swimming…
学生:游泳课。
Employee:OK. Swimming classes are thirty dollars a semester.
职员:好的。游泳课是一学期30美元。
Student:I guess I could swing that.
学生:这我可以接受。
But I'm still not convinced it's fair. So, do I pay you?
但我还是不信服这是公平的。那,钱是付给你吗?
Employee:Well, first, you need to talk to the instructor.
职员:嗯,首先,你需要跟老师谈。
They have to assess your level and steer you into the right class, you know, beginner, intermediate…
他们需要评估你的水平,然后把你排进你适合的班,你知道,初级班,中级班等等。
Student:You mean, I have to swim for them? Show them what I can do?
学生:你的意思还是,我得先给他们游泳,让他们看看我游得怎么样?
Employee:No, no, you just tell them a little bit about your experiences and skills, so they know what level you should be in.
职员:不,你只告诉他们一点关于你的经验和技巧,这样他们好知道你是什么水平。
Student:Oh, OK. So, I guess I'll need an appointment.
学生:哦,好的。那,我猜我需要做个预约?
Employee:And I can make that for you right now.
职员:我现在就能帮你办。
And I'll tell up you about your gym ID card.
而且我得跟你讲讲体育馆通行证。
You'll need it to get into the building. Now about that appointment… how does Wednesday at three sounds?
你到时候得用它来进入楼里。现在,关于预约的事... 周三的三点如何?
Student:Fine…
学生:好的。
Employee:OK. Then you'll be meeting with Mark Guess.
职员:好的,那么你会跟马克·盖斯见面。
He's a swimming instructor. He also coaches the swim team. And here, I've jotted it all down for you.
他是游泳老师。还是游泳队的教练。这儿,我帮你都写下来了。
Student:Great! Thanks.
学生:太好了!非常感谢你。