(Foresail rises and discovers the watch standing, lounging, leaning, and lying in various attitudes, all singing in chorus.)
(前帆扬起,值夜班的人以各种姿势站着,逛着,倚着,躺着,大家齐声合唱。)
Farewell and adieu to you, Spanish ladies! Farewell and adieu to you, ladies of Spain! Our captain's commanded.
别了,西班牙小姐们,再会,别了,西班牙的小姐们,再会,我们的船长已经下了命令。
1ST NANTUCKET SAILOR
南塔开特水手甲:
Oh, boys, don't be sentimental. it's bad for the digestion! Take a tonic, follow me!
伙伴们呀,别多情啦;这是有碍消化的!唱一只吧,跟我唱!
(Sings, and all follow)
(他唱,大家都跟着唱起来。)
Our captain stood upon the deck, A spy-glass in his hand, A viewing of those gallant whales That blew at every strand.
我们船长站在甲板上,手里拿着小望远镜,瞄瞄那些勇猛的大鲸,到处在喷水。
Oh, your tubs in your boats, my boys, And by your braces stand, And we'll have one of those fine whales, Hand, boys, over hand!
伙伴们呀,桶子在你们小艇里,准备你们的转帆索。我们就要捉到呱呱叫的大鲸,伙伴们,左手右手替换拉!
So, be cheery, my lads! may your hearts never fail! While the bold harpooneer is striking the whale!
所以呀,要高高兴兴,我的伙伴们,你们永远别灰心!勇敢的标枪手正在打大鲸!
MATE'S VOICE FROM THE QUARTER-DECK
后甲板传来大副的声音:
Eight bells there, forward!
敲八击钟啦,喂,前边的!
2ND NANTUCKET SAILOR
南塔开特水手乙:
Avast the chorus! Eight bells there! d'ye hear, bell-boy?
别唱啦!敲八击钟啦!你听到吗,钟僮?
Strike the bell eight, thou Pip! thou blackling! and let me call the watch.
敲八下钟呀,你这比普,你这小黑炭!让我叫一声换班。
I've the sort of mouth for that--the hogshead mouth.
我有一张专喊换班的嘴。
So, so, (thrusts his head down the scuttle,) Star-bo-l-e-e-n-s, a-h-o-y! Eight bells there below! Tumble up!
大桶似的嘴。喂,喂,(把头探进小舱口)右舷的值班的,喂!下边的,敲八击钟啦,滚上来呀!