An irreverent attitude
不敬的态度
Smithers, don't you think it's ironic that your irregular night-time activities are in inverse proportion to your reputation as an expert in the area of invertebrate research?
斯密德斯,难道你不认为自己无规律的夜生活与你作为无脊椎动物研究领域的专家的声望成反比是具有讽刺意味的吗?
The director of the academy demanded to know.
研究院的主任要求知道答案。
I should like to invoke my right to remain silent, sir, Smithers defiantly replied.
我希望援用我保持沉默的权利,先生,斯米德斯反驳道。
Your invocation of some right or other will do you no good at all.
你援用这样或那样权利对你一点好处都没有。
I find your irresponsible behaviour, coupled with your irreverent attitude, quite irreconcilable with your position.
我认为你不负责的行为,加上你不敬的态度与你的地位非常不能协调。
Unless you come clean, Smithers, we shall have to investigate those allegations against you very seriously, indeed.
斯米德斯,除非你坦白交代,否则我们真的必须对反对你的主张进行严肃调查。
That's not an inviting prospect, neither for you, nor for the academy.
这个前景对你和研究院来说都不诱人。
Pending the outcome of the investigation, you will be put on involuntary leave.
在等待调查结果的时候,你必须强制离开。
Sir, my behaviour both in and out of work has been irreproachable, apart only from the fact that I have found the odd glass or two of gin and tonic irresistible.
先生,我除了觉得古怪的玻璃杯和两杯松子酒和滋补品无法抗拒之外,在工作中和工作以外的行为都是无可指责的。
Listen, man, the damage you have done to the reputation of this institution of learning and research is probably already quite irreparable,and I find your answers so far have been quite irrelevant.
听着,老兄,你对这所学术研究机构的声誉造成的破坏可能已经无法挽回了,我发现你到目前为止的回答都与此无关。
Your irresolute attitude, coupled with your irrepressible sense of nonchalance simply is inappropriate to the seriousness of the situation.
你犹豫不决的态度以及抑制不住的冷淡与事态的严重性完全不相称。
You simply leave me no choice.
你让我没有选择的余地。
My decision is irreversible:
我的决定是不可更改的:
You are on indefinite leave pending the investigation.
在进行调查期间,你必须无限制地离岗。
The irony of it is, of course, Smithers, that you were such an outstanding member of our team when you first got here.
当然,斯密斯德,有讽刺意味的是你刚来这儿的时候,使我们团队里那么出色的成员。
Tell me, what's got into you lately?
告诉我,你最近中了什么邪了?
Smithers stood in silence.
斯密斯德站着,缄默不语。