227.The unrestricted universe
第227课 漫无边际的宇宙
The universe is unmatched in its intricacies. Each planet, each star is unique.
宇宙的复杂难解无与伦比。每颗行星和恒星都与众不同。
Though our universe seems anything but unpredictable,
行星周期性地运转,彗星可以准确地加以预测,
with revolutions of planets and comets accurately predicted, there are still many secrets to unravel.
所以我们的宇宙似乎绝非不可预测,但仍然有许多秘密有待揭示。
Due to my love of astronomy and mathematics, I had a unity of purpose when I first went to college.
由于我喜爱天文学和数学,所以当我刚进入大学,我有个坚定不移的目标。
As soon as I had unpacked my bags at the dorm, my unrestricted freedom led me to the science library.
我在宿舍刚一打开行囊,我那不受限制的自由就促使我来到理科图书馆。
I immediately wanted to make an unprecedented discovery.
我立即想做出前所未有的发现。
I wanted to show that some concepts previously thought of as universally true were not in fact so universal.
我想证明有些先前认为普遍正确的概念实际上并非普遍。
To meet my end, I hardly slept and rarely ate. (The dorm food was unpalatable, anyway.)
为了达到目标,我废寝忘食。(反正,宿舍的饭菜不可口。)
The first thing I learned when classes began was that my unrestrained confidence was quite unsophisticated.
开课后我学到的第一件事就是,自己过度的自信其实是很幼稚的。
I suffered from making too many unsubstantiated claims.
我提出过多没有根据的说法,为此我没少吃苦头。
I had a lot to learn about my field and much of it was basic.
有关自己的领域,我有许多东西要学,而且大部分都是基本的。
My confidence was unshaken, but that didn't mean I hadn't learned a lesson or two.
我的信心没有动摇,但这并不意味着我没有吸取教训。
For example, I learned that being unselfish in the research field could unveil great opportunities.
比如,我认识到,在研究领域不谋私利会展现巨大的机会。
Being unruly about who discovered what first made for unstable relationships with fellow students.
在谁首先发现了什么的问题上不守规矩造成了同学关系的不稳定。
In order to best explore a previously untouched topic, rapport among colleagues was a must.
为了最好地探索前人没有接触过的课题,必须保持同事间的和睦。
To think that fighting and competition would get us anywhere was really untenable.
认为争斗和竞争会让我们有所作为的想法实在站不住脚。
Most of the fellow students and professors with whom I worked were quite good people.
和我一起工作的大多数同学和教授都是很不错的人。
However, there was one unscrupulous chap who unseemly decided to publish out findings and claim them as his own.
但是,有个无耻的家伙,不合时宜地决定出版我们的研究成果并宣布为已有。
We had some unwieldy arguments with him about this incident.
我们和他在这个事情上进行了艰苦的争论。
He later recanted his claims and included us under authorship. Otherwise, we would have had to sue him.
他后来撤回白己的说法,并把我们包括在作者之列。不然的话,我们早就把他告了。
And I'm an astronomy student, not a law student.
可我毕竟是个天文学学生,而非法律系的学生。