Ron cast a curious look back at Dumbledore and Harry as he closed the door.
洛哈特迈着轻快的步子走了出去。罗恩关门的时候,回头好奇地看了邓布利多和哈利一眼。
Dumbledore crossed to one of the chairs by the fire.
邓布利多走向火边的一把椅子。“坐下吧,哈利。”他说。
'Sit down, Harry,' he said, and Harry sat, feeling unaccountably nervous.
哈利坐了下来,心里感到紧张得难以形容。
'First of all, Harry, I want to thank you,' said Dumbledore, eyes twinkling again.
“首先,哈利,我要谢谢你,”邓布利多说,眼睛里又闪烁着光芒,
'You must have shown me real loyalty down in the Chamber.
“你在下面的密室里一定对我表现出了绝对的忠诚。
Nothing but that could have called Fawkes to you.'
只有这种忠诚,才能把福克斯召唤到你的身边。”
He stroked the phoenix, which had fluttered down onto his knee.
那只凤凰已经扑棱棱地飞到了邓布利多的膝头,他轻轻地抚摸着它。
Harry grinned awkwardly as Dumbledore watched him.
哈利在邓布利多的注视下,不自然地笑了笑。
'And so you met Tom Riddle,' said Dumbledore thoughtfully.
“这么说你遇见了汤姆里德尔,”邓布利多若有所思地说,
'I imagine he was most interested in you...'
“我可以想象,他最感兴趣的就是你……”
Suddenly, something that was nagging at Harry came tumbling out of his mouth.
突然,一件一直困扰着哈利的事从他嘴里脱口而出。
'Professor Dumbledore...Riddle said I'm like him. Strange likenesses, he said...'
“邓布利多教授……里德尔说我很像他。有一些奇特的相似之处,他说……”
'Did he, now?' said Dumbledore, looking thoughtfully under his thick silver eyebrows at Harry.
“他是这么说的?”邓布利多说,浓密银眉下的眼睛沉思地望着哈利,
'And what do you think, Harry?'
“你是怎么想的呢,哈利?”
'I don't think I'm like him!' said Harry, more loudly than he'd intended.
“我才不像他呢!”哈利说,本来不想用这么大的声音说话的,
'I mean, I'm — I'm in Gryffindor, I'm...'
“我的意思是说,我……我在格兰芬多,我是……”
But he fell silent, a lurking doubt resurfacing in his mind.
可是他沉默了,一丝疑虑又在他脑海里重新冒了出来。
'Professor,' he started again after a moment, 'the Sorting Hat told me I'd, I'd have done well in Slytherin.
“教授,”过了片刻,他又说道,“分院帽对我说——我在斯莱特林会很优秀。
Everyone thought I was Slytherin's heir for a while...because I can speak Parseltongue...'
有一段时间,大家都以为我是斯莱特林的继承人……因为我会说蛇佬腔——”