Dialogue:
A: You are sure to be lagged behind if you rest on your laurels.
如果你满足于现有成绩的话,很快就会被甩在后面了。
B: I know what I should do in the future. I'll continue my effort.
我知道该怎么办,我会继续努力的。
一, 词海拾贝
rest on one’s laurels
exp. To stop trying because one is satisfied with one's past achievements. (安于现状,吃老本,故步自封)
e.g. I know your first novel was a smash success, but if you just rest on your laurels, you're going to fade into obscurity.
我知道你的第一部小说非常成功,但是如果你还固步自封,你就会默默无闻。
e.g. We rested on our laurels too long and our competitors took away a lot of our business.
我们安于现状太久了,所以我们的竞争对手抢走了我们很多生意。
二, 语汇积累
1. in the future:从今以后
e.g. You should devote yourself to mathematics in the future.
将来你应该献身于数学。
e.g. One does not know how many such balls there will be in the future.
很难说以后还能举行多少这样的舞会了。
2. lag behind:落后
e.g. If we walk slower than the others we shall lag behind them.
如果我们比其他人走得慢,我们就会落在他们后面。
e.g. Modesty helps one to make progress, conceit makes one lag behind.
虚心使人进步,骄傲使人落后。