One day, King Hui of Liang met Mencius and said:
一天,梁惠王见到孟子,说:
"What a mess the political state of our neighbouring countries is in!
“你看看邻国的政治多么糟糕!
When they govern their states, they never think of the people.
他们治国不为老百姓着想!
But when there is a flood in Henei, I move the victims of the calamity to Hedong.
而我每当河西闹了灾,就把灾民迁到河东;
When there is a calamity in Hedong, I move the people there to Henei.
河东遭了难,我又把灾民迁到河西来。
I also allocate them food for calamity relief.
还调拨粮食救济他们。对于治理国家。
I have really done my best to govern my country."
我是尽了自己最大的努力了。”
As Mencius heard this, he nodded in agreement.
孟子听了惠王的话,点头表示赞同。
King Hui of Liang went on to say:
梁惠王接着说:
"Yet my population has not increased and our neighbouring countries' population has not decreased.
“可是,我的百姓人数却没有增加,而邻国的百姓人数也不见得减少呀!
Tell me, what exactly is the reason?"
你说,这究竟是什么原因?”
Mencius thought this over and replied:
孟子想了想回答说:
"Your Majesty likes wars.
“大王喜欢打仗。
Please allow me to use war as an analogy.
请允许我用打仗来打个比方吧!
On the battlefield, the sound of fighting shakes the heavens.
战场上,杀声震天。
The two armies are locked in a stalemate, but there is surely to be either victory or defeat.
两军对峙,相持不下,但是一定会有胜负。
The defeated soldiers, throwing away their helmets and armour, flee for their lives.
被打败的士兵丢盔弃甲,抱头逃命。其中,有的人逃了五十步就停下来。
Some of them flee 50 steps and then stop, while others flee 100 steps and stop.
有的人逃了一百步也停了下来。
Then, those who flee 50 steps laugh at those who flee 100 steps for their cowardice.
这时候,逃了五十步的人,嘲笑逃了一百步的人胆小怕死。
Your Majesty, do you think it is right to laugh?"
大王,您说这种嘲笑对不对?”
Upon hearing this, King Hui struck the table and said:
惠王听了,拍着桌子,说:
"Of course not. No matter whether they flee 50 steps or 100 steps, they are deserters just the same."
“当然不对,不管逃五十步,还是逃一百步,一样是逃兵啊!”
Mencius smiled and said:
孟子笑着说道:
"Your Majesty, since you understand this truth, you can notexpect your population to be larger than that of your neighbouring countries."
“大王,既然您明白这个道理,那么您也就不要希望您的百姓会比邻国多了。”