'Yes.'
“是的。”
She shook her head in bewilderment as she tried to stuff a new tape into her video camera.
她一面试着把一卷新胶片塞进摄影机里,一面大惑不解似的摇了摇头。
'Some of your people,' said one of her visitors, hesitantly, 'think that Elvis has been kidnapped by space aliens.'
“你们中的好些人,”她的一位客人吞吞吐吐地说,“认为埃尔维斯是被外星人劫持了。”
'What?' said Tricia. 'Has he?'
“什么?”崔茜卡道,“是这样吗?”
'It is possible.'
“有这个可能。”
'Are you telling me that you have kidnapped Elvis?' gasped Tricia. She was trying to keep cool enough not to foul up her equipment, but this was all almost too much for her.
“你是说你们劫持了埃尔维斯?”崔茜卡倒抽一口凉气。她一直在努力保持镇静,免得把设备搞的乱七八糟,可这一手实在让她有些没法接受。
'No. Not us,' said her guests. 'Aliens. It is a very interesting possibility. We talk of it often.'
“不,不是我们。”她的客人说,“外星人。这是种非常有趣的可能性。我们常常谈起它。”
'I must get this down,' Tricia muttered to herself. She checked her video was properly loaded and working now. She pointed the camera at them. She didn't put it up to her eye because she didn't want to freak them out. But she was sufficiently experienced to be able to shoot accurately from the hip. 'OK,' she said. 'Now tell me slowly and carefully who you are. You first,' she said to the one on the left. 'What's your name?'
“我一定得把这录下来。”崔茜卡小声嘀咕。她检查了一遍,胶片已经装好,运转正常。她把摄像机对准他们,但并没有举到自己眼睛上,怕会吓到人家。反正她经验够老道,机器放在大腿上一样能拍的很清楚。“好了。”她说,“现在告诉我你们是谁?说话慢些,仔细些。你先来。”她对左边的那个说,“你叫什么名字?”
'I don't know.'
“我不知道。”
'You don't know?'
“你不知道?”
'No.'
“不知道。”
'I see,' said Tricia. 'And what about you other two?'
“恩。”崔茜卡道,“那么你们俩呢?”
'We don't know.'
“我们不知道。”
'Good. OK. Perhaps you can tell me where you are from?'
“好吧,行。或许你们能讲讲你们从哪儿来?”
They shook their heads.
他们摇摇头。
'So,' said Tricia. 'What are you… er…'
“那么,”崔茜卡说,“你们是……呃……”
She was floundering but, being a professional, kept the camera steady while she did it.
她在发慌,可由于具备了专业水准,发慌的时候摄影机依然不颤不抖。