OK. And...and that's probably the primary reason for functional organization right there—is that we want some engineering consistency.
好了。那可能是功能性组织存在的首要原因——我们需要一些工程一致性。
We want the same kind of technology used in all four cars.
我们想要四款车里都有同样的科技。
If we disperse those four engineers into four parts of the organization and they work by themselves,
如果我们把四个工程师分散到该公司的四个部分,让他们独自工作,
there's a lot less chance that the technology's gonna be the same from car to car.
车与车之间技术一样的可能性就小多了。
So instead we maintain the functional organization—that means the engineers work together in one part of the building.
所以我们保持着功能性组织——那意味着工程师们在大楼的一个部分一起工作。
And their offices are next to each other because we want them to talk to each other.
而且他们的办公室彼此比邻,因为我们希望他们能与彼此交谈。
When an engineer works on a project, they bring the expertise of their whole functional group with them.
当一个工程师致力于一个项目时,他们有着整个功能性组织的专长。
But there's a downside of that though, isn't there? I mean, organizing a company into functional groups is not all positive.
但是也有不利的一面,不是吗?我是说把公司组织成功能性群组并不是没有负面影响的。
Where's the allegiance of those engineers? It's to their coordinator, right?
那些工程师的忠诚在哪里?他们忠诚于其协调者,对吗?
It's to that chief engineer. But we really want our one engineer, the engineer that's working on car number one,
是对总工程师的忠诚。但是我们真的很希望工程师一,致力于新车一号的工程师,
we want that person's loyalty to be to that project as well as to the head of the engineering group.
希望那个人忠诚于工程部门的头儿时也能忠诚于那个项目。
We...we really want both, don't we?
我们两样都想要,不是吗?
We want to maintain the functional organization, so we can maintain uniformity and technology transfer, and expertise.
我们想要保持功能性组织,才能保持一致性以及科技和专长的传播。
We want the cutting edge expertise in every group.
我们希望每个组里都有尖端专长。
But at the same time we also want the engineer to be totally dedicated to the needs of the project.
但同时,我们也希望工程师能完全致力于其项目的需要。
Ideally, we have a...a hybrid, a combination of both functional and project organization.
理论上,我们有一个合成物,一个功能性和项目组合的组织。
But there's a problem with this kind of hybrid structure.
但是这种混合的结构有一个问题。
When you have both functional and project organization, well, what does that violate in terms of basic management principles?
当你功能性和项目性组织都有的时候,涉及到基本管理原则的时候,会违背什么?
Unity of command.
指挥统一原则。
Unity of command. That's exactly right. So this...this is a vicious violation of unity of command, isn't it?
指挥统一原则。非常正确。这严重地违反了指挥统一原则,不是吗?
It says that this engineer working on a project seems to have two bosses.
就像这个工程师致力于一个项目却有两个老板。
We...we got the engineering boss, and we got the project manager boss.
我们有工程头儿,也有项目经理头儿。
But the project manager is responsible for the project, and is not the official manager of the engineer who works on the project.
但是项目经理对项目负责,而且他不是致力于这个项目的工程师的正式经理。
And we try to maintain peace in the organizations and sometimes it's disrupted and we have conflicts, don't we?
我们努力保持组织内的和平,但是有时候和平瓦解我们会有冲突,不是吗?
The project manager for car one wants a car part to fit in a particular way, for a specific situation, a specialized case.
车一号的项目经理因为一个特定的情况,特殊案例,想要一个车部件以特殊的方式嵌入。
Well, the, uh, engineering director says no, we gotta have standardization.
而工程总监说,不行,我们要标准化。
We gotta have all the cars done this way.
我们所有的车都要这样完成。
We can't make a special mold for that particular part for that particular car.
不能为那个特定车的特殊部分做一个专门的磨具。我们不会那样做。
We're not gonna do that. So we got a conflict.
所以我们就有了冲突。