Read a letter that a student has written to the campus newspaper.
请阅读这封学生写给校报的信。
You have 50 seconds to read the letter. Begin reading now.
你有50秒的时间阅读这封信。现在开始计时。
Now listen to two students discussing the letter.
两个学生正在讨论这封信,请听他们的对话。
W: Hey, Ted, you're a runner. Did you see this letter in the paper?
女:Ted,你是个跑步运动员。你看过报纸上的这封信了吗?
M: Yeah, I did, and I use those.
男:看过了。而且我也用这些。
W: And?
女:怎么样?
M: I think it's a terrible idea.
男:我觉得这个主意糟透了。
W: How come?
女:怎么会呢?
M: Well, she really hasn't thought it through.
男:她实在是没有从头到尾好好想过。
Like, the thing about making them safer, what's she's not thinking about is the long-term consequence of running on a hard surface.
就拿把它们变得更安全这件事来说吧。她没有仔细想过在坚硬的地面跑步的长期后果。
W: What do you mean?
女:什么意思?
M: I mean, it's not good for you. It's too hard on your bones and joints.
男:我的意思是这样对身体不好。太损伤骨头和关节了。
If you run repeatedly on hard surface, it can lead to injuries or, that's what I've been taught anyway, it's better to run on a soft surface. It does less damage to your body.
如果经常在坚硬的地面上跑步的话,可能会受伤的,反正我们老师是这么教的,在柔软的地面上跑步比较好。对身体的伤害要小一些。
W: Oh, I wasn't aware of that.
女:哦,原来是这样。
M: Yeah, so actually it wouldn't be safer. And her second point...
男:对,所以事实上按照她的建议反而不会变得更安全。还有她的第二个观点......
W: About changing the way they look?
女:关于改变它们的外观?
M: Yeah, I don't think people will like it.
男:是的,我觉得大家不会喜欢那个样子的。
W: So they'd use them less?
女:这样的话他们就不会经常使用这些了?
M: Yeah, I mean, one of the main reasons people enjoy them now was it's a way of taking a break from the rest of the campus, from buildings and streets and stuff.
男:没错。大家现在喜欢它们的一个主要原因就是,这里让他们有种离开了学校其他地方比如教学楼和街道的感觉。
It's, you know, a chance like you're out in the nature.
这是一个让你感觉自己身在大自然中的机会。
W: Oh, so you wouldn't get that effect anymore.
女:哦,所以按照她的想法来的话,就再也没有那种效果了。
M: Right! It'd be just like you're on a regular street or sidewalk. It wouldn't be as relaxing.
男:对!如果那样的话,跟在寻常街道上没什么两样。就没那么放松了。