第十二课 我是一个父亲
I had just parked my antique show when I saw an old flame of mine.
我刚把我的古董车在古玩展厅了下来就看见了我的旧情人。
She was just standing there, more beautiful than ever.
她就站在那儿,比过去任何时候都漂亮。
Hoping that she would be amenable to me, I quickly brushed my hair, answered the call of nature and then looked for her again.
怀着她会对我做出响应的希望,我很快拂了一下头发,上了趟洗手间,然后又来找寻她。
She was walking away, so I chased after her.
她正要离开,所以我赶紧追了上去。
As I pretended to walk along with her as if I hadn't noticed her, she saw me.
我假装和她一起走,好像根本没有注意到她,这时她发现了我。
I didn't know how to react when she was suddenly antagonistic to me.
她突然对我敌对起来,我不知道该如何反应。
Apparently she had just had her annual checkup, and the doctor had told her she was pregnant.
很显然,她刚做过年度体检,医生告诉她怀孕了。
I answered back that the child couldn't be mine!
我回嘴说孩子不可能是我的!
We hadn't been together for more than four months!
我们没在一起已经四个多月。
That's how pregnant she was! She replied among other things.
可她正好怀孕四个月!除了别的意外,她还回答道。
She also said I wouldn't amount to any kind of man if I didn't accept my responsibility and help her raise the child.
她还说如果我不承担责任,帮她抚养孩子,我就不算是个男人。
It was quite a shock.
这个打击太大啦!
I was terrified, and yet, somehow excited.
我很害怕,可是不知道为什么还有些激动。
I experienced an array of emotions.
我经历了一系列的感情变化。
Here was the woman that I still loved.
这是一个我仍然爱着的女人。
She and her like had always run from me before.
她以及她那样的人以前总是从我身边跑掉了。
Now she was telling me that we were going to have a child together.
现在她却告诉我,我们将共同拥有一个孩子。
And that was how we got back together.
就这样我们又和好了。
I could tell you about all the stuggles we later went through and so forth(and so on).
我可以告诉你我们后来经历的种种挣扎等等事情。
But we're happy!
可是我们很幸福!
I 'm happy.
我觉得幸福。