157.Bad Neighbors
157.坏邻居
No matter what people tell you, you will have problems with your next door neighbor nine times out of ten!
无论别人告诉你什么,你几乎总是和你的隔壁邻居有问题!
It happened to me, I should know!
我就发生过这样的事,我应该知道!
No sooner had we moved into our new house than our neighbors started to bug us!
我们一搬进新家邻居就开始烦我们!
First they played loud music, night and day! Then they never mowed their lawn! No kidding!
首先他们把音乐弄得很大,而且是日夜不停!然后他们从来不剪草坪!我是说真的!
You should have seen how tall their grass grew!
你应该见过他们家的草长得有多高!
And then, to top it all off, they cut down our apple tree which was just next to their property line!
接下来最绝的是,他们把我们的苹果树砍了,这棵树就靠近他们家的地界线!
They said they needed room to play ball! Well that was it for me!
他们说他们需要有地方打球!我实在忍无可忍!
I said no dice to their nonesense and demanded that they change their ways, turn down the music, mow their lawn and buy us a new apple tree!
对他们的鬼话我说不行,我要求他们改一改,把音乐弄小一点儿,把草坪剪一剪,完了还要给我们买一棵新的苹果树!
They said, "No way!" There was no doubt in my mind that they wouldn't listen!
他们说:"不可能!"我心想他们毫无疑问不会听!
So I did it myself. I mowed their lawn!
所以我就自己动手!我把他家的草坪剪了!
"No problem!" they replied, not humiliated that their neighbor was mowing their lawn!
"没问題!"他们回答道,邻居替他家剪草坪他们一点儿也不觉得不光彩!
No matter how much it bothered me, I still finished the job!
不管有多烦,我还是把这件工作做完了!
Then I called the police!
然后我把警察叫来了!
When they complained that they had next to nothing to help pay for the new apple tree, the police said they could spend a couple nights in jail! They found the money!
他们抱怨说他们几乎没有钱帮着买新苹果树,警察就告诉他们可以在监狱里呆一两个晚上!他们最后搞到了钱!
They also no longer played loud music!
他们也不再大声放音乐了!
City regulations stipulated loud noise as a disturbance of the peace! The police said this to their faces!
城市守则规定声音太大是扰民行为!警察当面对他们说。
I won! After that, no matter where I went in town, people patted me on the back!
我赢了!从那以后,无论我到城里哪个地方,人们都要表扬我!
Everyone hates a bad neighbor!
大家都讨厌坏邻居!