Daughter: Something's driving me crazy, and I can't sleep. 有些事使我不安,我睡不着。
Mother: What's on your mind? 想些什么呢?
Daughter: Santa Claus. 圣诞老人。
Mother: Mr. Kringle? Why, what about him? 克林果先生?他怎么?
Daughter: He talked sign language with a kid today. 他今天与一个孩子打手语。
Mother: Well, that was considerate of him. 那是他体谅人。
Daughter: It's weird how he knows so much about toys and kids. He speaks Russian and Swahili. 真怪,他怎么非常了解玩具和孩子。他会说俄罗斯语和斯瓦希里语。
Mother: Well, he must be quite a learned man. 他一定是了不得的学者。
Daughter: He looks exactly like every picture of Santa Claus I ever saw. 他看起来完全象我见的每张圣诞老人像。
Mother: Yes, I know. That's why I chose him. 这也就是为什么我选择了他。
Daughter: You're positive he's not the real Santa Claus? 你确信他不是真实的圣诞老人?
Mother: I thought that we talked about this. You understand what he is. 我想我们谈过这个事儿。你明白他是什么。
Daughter: What if we're wrong? That would be extremely rude. 要是我们错了呢?那就太没礼貌了。
Mother: Well, we're not wrong sweetheart. 不会,宝贝。
Daughter: But all my friends believe in Santa Claus. 但我的朋友都相信圣诞老人。
Mother: Well, most children your age do. 多数你这种年龄的孩子都相信。
Daughter: How come I don't ? 我怎么不相信?
Mother: Because you know the truth, and truth is one of the most important things in the world. To know the truth and to always be truthful with others and, more importantly, with yourself. Believing in myths and fantasies just makes you unhappy. 因为你知道事实。事实是世界上最重要的。知道事实、待人诚实对自己都很重要。相信童话和幻想,只会使自己不开心。
Daughter: Did you believe in Santa Claus when you were my age? 你是我这么大的时候相信圣诞老人?
Mother: Yes. 嗯。
Daughter: Were you unhappy? 你不开心吗?
Mother: Well, when all the things that I believed in turned out not to be true, yes, I was unhappy. 当我相信的事情变得不是真实的时候我是有些不开心。
Daughter: Would it be OK if I thought about this more? Do I have to not believe in Santa Claus right away? 是否我不想这个问题就会没事呢?我必须马上不相信圣诞老人吗?
Mother: Come here. You have the right to believe whatever you want to believe. Now, I've told you the truth, but if I'm wrong, I will be glad to admit it. I'll tell you what. You ask Mr. Kringle for something that you would never ask me for. And if on Christmas morning you don't get it, you will know once and for all the honest truth about Santa Claus. 过来。你有权相信你想要相信的。我告诉了你事实,我若错了,我会很乐意承认。你可以去问克林果先生一些你没问过我的话。圣诞早上你就能得到答案。你最终会知道圣诞老人的事实。
Daughter: That's a very clever idea. 这是一个很好的主意!
Mother: Thank you. Think you can get some sleep? 你能睡觉了吗?
Daughter: Yep. 好的。
Mother: Yeah? Give me a kiss. 吻我。
Daughter: Good night.I love you. 晚安,我爱你。
Mother: I love you. 我爱你。