片段精选:
台词欣赏:
Jane : What a handsome place!
太壮观了!
Mrs. Fairfax : I have the windows open to let in a little air. Everything gets so damp in rooms that are seldom entered.
我开着窗户通通风。由于少用,家具都变潮了。
Now let me show you the rest of the house. Here are the master's rooms.
我再带你走走其他房间。这就是主人间了。
Jane : Is that Mr. Rochester?
那是Rochester吗?
Mrs. Fairfax : Oh, no.His father. And why Mr. Rochester keeps it here, despite everything, I do not know, one of his strange ways.
不,是他父亲。我搞不懂为什么Rochester先生非要把它留着。这是我搞不懂,是他一种奇怪的习惯吧。
He's father and his brother... they were very unfair to him. Some would say barbarous. He was the younger son, You see.
他父兄对他很不公,有些人说是粗暴。你瞧,他是末子。
And he was expected to sacrifice everything for family. He only inherited Thornfield, nine years ago.
他理所当然为家业牺牲一切。9年前他才继承了Thornfield。
When he was a child, he was such a gentle boy.
还小的时候,那男孩是多么温顺啊。
Jane : He's clearly not barbarous himself, if he's taking care of Adele's upbringing.
显然他本性并不粗野,不然他不可能抚养Adele。
Mrs. Fairfax : Oh no, oh no, Mr. Rochesterdoes accept his responsibilities.
不,不,Rochester先生承担起这份义务的。
And he's a generous and liberal landlord to his tenants.
对于下人,他也总是那么慷慨开明。
He's well traveled, very intelligent.
他周游各地,见多识广。
But when he talks to you, you cannot always be sure whether he's in jest or in earnest. Whether he is pleased or to the contrary, he is not a happy man.
但当他与你谈话时,你总不能确定他是发自肺腑,还是说着玩而已。不知道他是高兴还是恼怒。反正,他过得并不开心。
Oh my goodness! Those flowers! Oh, I do keep telling them the rooms must be kept in readiness!
天啊,这些花儿。我告诉过他们房间总得随时准备好。
Mr. Rochester visits may be rare, but we are never warned.
Rochester先生的客人很少,来时从来就不会先通知我们。
Jane : What was that?
什么声音?
Mrs. Fairfax : One of the servants most likely. Perhaps, Grace Poole.
像是其中一个仆人,可能是Grace Poole。
Jane : But did you hear it?
你听到吗?
Mrs. Fairfax : Oh, yes. I often hear it. She does sewing in one of these rooms.
听到了。我时常听得见。她在这排房间里缝纫。
Grace! Too much noise, Grace. Remember instructions.
Grace,太吵了,Grace,记住主人的命令。
We can go back this way.
我们从这边回去吧。