Denise Pitino matter is set for trial? Tomorrow.
这是什么?皮蒂诺一案又将开庭审理?就在明天
Didn't I tell you to get rid of this case two years ago?
两年前我不是和你说过不要再理会这个案子了吗?
Three, actually.I'm meeting with opposing counsel at 10.
事实上,是三年。我会在明天早上十点会晤对方律师
I'll settle it.Paul, problem.What's this?
我会搞定的。保罗出事了。什么事?
Lori Colson's filed an internal complaint against us.
洛丽·科尔森准备在内部起诉我们
A complaint about what? Sexual harassment,more specifically Denny.
控告我们什么? 性骚扰准确地说,起诉丹尼
I heard my name.Denny, Paul and I need to talk to you.
你们在说我吗? 丹尼我和保罗有话要对你说
Whatever it is, I'm innocent. Yes, Paul's office at 11, please.
无论你们要说什么,我是清白的。好吧,11点在保罗的办公室见
In the meantime, could you please reposition your hand?
还有,你能不能把你的手拿开?
Catherine, so nice to see you at large.
凯瑟琳真高兴见到你
Well, that's so sweet of you.
你真好
It would warm the cockles of my heart.
你的话使我感到好像胸口有小鹿在乱撞
If I had a cockle, of course.
当然,如果那里有小鹿的话
There's a rumor that you've got one.
不过传闻你有哦
How do I put this?
那我要放哪呢?
You're fired.What? I'm terribly sorry.But why?
你被解雇了。什么?我真的非常地抱歉。但是为什么?
However willing we are to relax the rules around here,we simply cannot have administrative staff killing clients.
虽然我们很想在这里营造一个宽松的环境但是我们还是不能够聘请会杀死顾客的员工
Does Alan know about this?
这事艾伦知道吗?
It is not Alan's decision You can't just fire me.
这不是艾伦的决定,你不能就这样解雇我
I just did.Please be gone by the end of business.
我已经解雇你了。请在今天之内离职。
Once again, I'm...I'm terribly sorry.Are you finished? I'm sorry.
再一次,我,我真的非常地抱歉。你看够了吗? 我很抱歉。
I was reminded of a girl I favored when I was young.I'm Alan Shore.
只是你让我想起了一个我年轻,的时候曾经很喜欢的女孩。我是艾伦·肖尔
If you've paid any attention to office gossip,you're right to avoid me.
如果你留意过办公室里的闲言闲语那么你的确应该避开我
I'm trying to save you from wasting your time.
我只是在提醒你不要浪费时间而已
Would you have dinner with me tonight?
今晚和我一起吃饭好吗?
All I'm looking for is to have dinner with...a beautiful-yet-anonymous woman,see myself through her eyes and pretend I'm interesting.
我只是想和一个美丽且仍然不知道姓名的女性一起吃晚饭,让我可以透过她的眼睛看到自己而且假装自己是一个很有趣的人
Alan!I've been Schmidt-canned.$225,000? Are you serious?
艾伦!我被施密特炒了。22万5千?你是认真的吗?
You can run the numbers.
你可以再读一遍
It covers all damage caused by the fire to both the garage and house which insurance already paid, by the way.
这里面包括了因火灾对房子和车库所造成的所有破坏的赔偿另外,其实上述损失保险已经赔过了
A woman died here.
可是一个女人死在火灾中
A terminal woman with less than five days to live, perhaps.
那个女人已经得了重病她很可能活不过五天
Certainly the cost of a trial would exceed $225,000.
很明显,打一场官司的费用要超过这个数字
Perhaps, but the cost of a settlement could be exponentially bigger if it occasions other to sue.
也许吧,但是如果每个人都认为威胁着要打官司就能让我们妥协的话那么调解费用将会呈指数式上升
The risk of losing by verdict?
你们不怕会输掉官司?
That won't happen.
那不可能发生
You think I'm not ready to try this tomorrow?
你认为我没有能力在明天打赢这个官司?
Is that what you think?
你真的想试?
Denise, you're no doubt a good lawyer with a very diverse practice.
丹尼斯毫无疑问你是个出色的律师而且拥有许多实战经验
You handle stock fraud,antitrust, even some criminal work.
你擅长处理股票欺诈案反垄断案甚至一些犯罪案件
But the three of us do nothing but defense work for car manufacturers.
这些我们三个都不擅长而我们唯一擅长的就是,为汽车制造商做辩护
In fact, over the last few years,while you've been doing other things,letting this particular file collect dust,
事实上,这些年来当你在为其他案子疲于奔命而把这个案子束诸高阁的时候
we've been handling only automobile product liability cases,specializing in fact, in the sport trucks that catch fire day after day after day.
我们却时刻面对着与汽车产品有关的所有诉讼特别是皮卡起火的案子日复一日,年复一年
It's what we do.Your offer of $225,000...is rejected.
这就是我们的工作你提出的这个数字...我们不接受
We shall see you then for opening statements.
那么明天开案陈词的时候见吧
Who's dead? Nobody's dead, Denny,
谁死了? 没有人,丹尼
but we have a situation.
但是我们面临着一个困境
Lori Colson filed an internal complaint against you for sexual harassment.
洛丽·科尔森准备在向内部委员会提出控诉指责你对她进行性骚扰
Lori Colson. Did I sleep with her?
洛丽·科尔森我和她上过床吗?
The complaint goes to a hostile work environment,which she believes you foster.
她认为事务所里正常的工作环境受到侵害而她认为你在纵容这种行为
By law, we are ruired to start certain procedures which involve you being questioned.
根据规定,我们必须为此进行一系列的程序其中包括你要受到质询
We are concerned that your responses,rather than making things better, might...
这正是我们所担心的你的回答与其说会让事情好转,不如说会...
Dig a hole to China.
火上浇油
It would be best to avoid an investigation altogether.
因此最好的办法就是避免它的发生
In order for that to happen,Lori has to withdraw her complaint,and for that to happen,you need to apologize to her.
而为了避免这一点就必须让洛丽,撤销控诉而要做到这一点呢你就必须向她道歉
What did I do?
我到底作了什么?
Last week you talked about whether judge Brown was a virgin.
上个星期当你提到布朗法官是否还是一个处男的时候
You made comments about Lori's sex life.
你扯到了洛丽的性生活
As far as she is concerned,you broke the camel's back.
而这超过了她的忍耐限度就像骆驼背上的最后一根稻草,
First off,I haven't had sex with a camel since I was in the army,
首先我在军队里的时候曾经搞过骆驼
and the camel never complained about it.
但是它从来没有投诉过我,
As for Lori, I should be the one making the complaint.
至于洛丽我才是应该抱怨的那个人
She's constantly ogling me.
她老是向我抛媚眼
Yes, putting reality aside,if you do not apologize to her, this is a mess...for the firm, for you.
好了,就算这是事实可是如果你不道歉的话,这将是一场灾难...无论是对事务所还是对你个人
Alan Can you tell me, Shirley,what possibly occasioned you to go behind my back and fire my assistant?
艾伦.雪莉请你告诉我为什么要在我背后偷偷地解雇了我的助手?
She needed to be fired.
我必须要解雇她
I decided to spare you the dirty work.
坏事可不能留给你一个人做
Alan, she went to the police to turn in a client, who she subsequently murdered.
艾伦她向警方出卖了我们的客户还杀了他
If we're to maintain any integrity as a law firm...
如果我们要维护我们事务所的声誉...
Why is that so important to everybody, maintaining integrity?
我就不明白为什么每个人都,非得装得那么冠冕堂皇?
Alan...You could have at least told me first before summarily...
艾伦...你最起码可以先和我打个招呼吧...
It would have made you complicit.
我不想让你难做
This way she can hate me in perpetuity while continuing to cherish you.
这样一来,她就只会恨我而不会对你有任何怨言
Yes, don't be surprised if one day I go behind your back, Shirley.
既然这样,你要当心我哪天在你背后嘿嘿,
You'll be sure to send me flowers first.
记得先送我一束花
$225,000? That's all? I'm sorry. I thought I'd be able to move them.
22万5千?就这么点?我很抱歉,我原以为可以争取到更多的
You tell them to forget it.
你告诉他们没门
Jose, you were already compensated for damages to the house.
乔斯你已经获得房屋损失的补偿了
The fire killed my wife.
可是那场火烧死了我的妻子
It probably only robbed her of a week.
那也只不过是让她早几天解脱而已
They have experts who will testify that since she died in her sleep, the smoke inhalation...may have actually spared her pain and suffering.
而且他们会找专家来证明她是在睡梦中吸入过量浓烟而死去的...她走的毫无痛苦而安详
Tell me what you're thinking.I'm angry.
我想听听你的看法,我很生气
For the last three years, I've called to ask,"How is the case going?" I can " never even get you on the phone.
这三年来,我屡次打电话来问案子进行的怎样了?"而我甚至找不到你
I get some assistant saying, "It's progressing".
你的助手只会不断地重复,"正在审理当中"
Nothing's been done.
其实是根本就毫无进展
The case was fully developed and ready to go to trial three years ago.
这个案子其实在三年前就已经准备开庭审理了
There wasn't much to do other than push for a trial date and pursue a settlement.
我们能做的就只剩下确定一个审判日期然后就是寻求协商谈判的可能
When you took this case, you cared.
你刚接手这个案子的时候还是很投入的
You no longer care, and I'm angry.
可是你现在已经不再重视了,这让我很生气
I assure you, Jose. I still care.
我向你保证,乔斯我仍然关注这个案子
I don't want to settle for $225,000.
我绝对不会接受这个数字的
Then we won't settle.
你的决定就是我的使命
Lori...Shirley and Paul have brought to my attention your discomfort with my banter.
洛丽...雪莉和保罗,对我说你不喜欢我的幽默
It's crossed the line of banter, Denny.
那不是幽默,那是中伤,丹尼
Oh, well...as I get older, I probably tend to be more boastful about sex,because well, um,
这个...当我年岁日增,我可能在对待性的态度上已经没那么忌讳了那是因为,呃
I don't perform...How you learned about me and the camel, I have no idea.
我也是喜欢说说而已...你是怎么知道我和骆驼的"那些事"的?
But the truth is,I'm an insecure man sexually.
其实我要说的是我只是一个有魅力的花心老男人
Now can we speak about you? Okay.
让我说说对你的看法吧,好吧
I've often found that it's the chubby girls who offend most easily.
我总是觉得体态丰腴的女孩子性子比较烈
I don't know why it is. I'm not a psychiatrist.
别问我为什么,我又不是心理专家
For what it's worth, I like chubby girls.
但是我不在意,因为我恰恰喜欢这种女孩子
I enjoy chubby sex.
我爱那种下下到肉的快感
What I'm trying to say is, if this is a lonely chubbette's cry for help,I'm here for you, Lori.
呃,其实我要说的是如果你是想暗示你很寂寞我为你赴汤蹈火在所不辞!
So are we good?
你觉得怎么样?
Garrett, free this evening?
加勒特晚上有空吗?
What have you got in mind?
你想怎样?
Document production, product design records.
这些产品文档和产品设计记录
We've been through them once but, you never know.
虽然我们已经看过了,但是你还没有
Review the case file.
好好地看一遍
I'll tell you everything you need to look for.
我会告诉你要注意的地方
Then you need to go across town to McKinley fields,the defendant's law firm.Super.
然后你要动身去麦金利,那边那是对方律师事务所的所在地。好极了
Sara, I see you're a lover of fine wine. Not really.
萨拉我看得出来你喜欢好酒。也不尽然
I just picked the most expensive.
我只是挑最贵的上
I figured, whatever it is you have in mind here,you should pay for it.
我只是让你无论打什么坏主意都要付出很大的代价
When I pay for it, it's usually cheap and tawdry.
可是通常要我钱包付出很大代价的,就只有街边的一些俗姿艳粉而已
All set to hear about our specials? Please.
要听听我们今晚的推荐菜色吗?请说
First, which I really recommend, it's great.
首先,我极力向您推荐
We have an incredible north Atlantic salmon.
我们这儿的极品北大西洋三文鱼
It's farm-raised, just got it in today. The chef prepared...
是人工饲养的,今天刚刚才运到我们的主厨为你精心...
Now would these be the Atlantic salmon raised in pens in the Pacific ocean the ones who periodically escape?
这些大西洋三文鱼不会是那些定期从太平洋"溜出来"的吧?
Well, I can assure you, the ones we're serving didn't escape.
嘿嘿,我可以向您保证我们的鱼绝对不会在餐桌上逃跑
That's very funny. Tell me, do people here order the farmed salmon?
你真是幽默。告诉我,这里的食客都点了这道菜吗?
It's actually our most popular dish tonight.I see.
这可是我们今晚最好卖的菜式。我了解了
Good evening, diners. Forgive me.
各位晚上好,打扰一下
But instead of grace,I typically begin my meals with a public service announcement.
虽然这会打扰各位的雅兴但是我在用餐前刚刚读到一篇通告我想你们会有兴趣知道
I just thought you'd like to know by ordering or buying farmed salmon,you may be helping to wipe out the wild or rather real salmon stocks.
上面说食用或者定购这些人工饲养的三文鱼可能会导致现存的野生三文鱼或者它们的后代走向灭绝
That's not true.Sir, you're upsetting the patrons.Sit down. I apologize.
这不是真的。先生,您令我们的客人受惊了。请坐下,抱歉
Perhaps I should be more entertaining then.
那么也许我该带点喜剧效果
Folks, we got trouble.
嘿伙计们,我们有麻烦了
Right here I say trouble, right here in river city.
我们有麻烦了,我们城市有麻烦了
Mr. Shore...You've got one, two, three,four, five, six pockets in a table,pockets that mark the difference between a gentleman
肖尔先生...我们这儿的台上放着1、2、3、4、5、6份美味的三文鱼很好的体现了上流食客和
and a bum with a capital "B," and that rhymes with "P,"
海吃海喝的暴发户的区别"暴发户"听起来有点像"保护"
We need to pool our resources and stop the fish farms.
我们需要保护我们的鱼类资源并停止捕杀鱼类了
And that stands for pool. Check, please.
对,就这个意思,麻烦结帐
And it doesn't even taste like real salmon, because it's not...caught.which...fish should be.
而且这味道甚至都不像真的三文鱼...不应该三文鱼...不该捕杀
How do we not go over my testimony?
我们不应该先讨论一下我的证词吗?
If we rehearse, Jose,there's a chance that your testimony will come off as rehearsed.
如果我们预先演练的话乔斯那么你的证词看起来就会像是一次煽情的表演
But shouldn't I have some idea what you plan to ask? No.
可是难道你要问什么我都不能知道吗?不
Our case, pretty much our whole case, is your emotion.
我们整个案子的关键就在于你的情绪能否感染所有人
I want your testimony to be as raw as possible,so go home, watch a movie, don't think about things,and I'll see you tomorrow at the courthouse.
因此我要你尽可能地表现你真实的感情回家吧,看一出电影,放松一下自己明天法庭上见
Okay.Everything okay? Six years ago, Denny,you threw me a tiny little case to cut my teeth on.
好吧,一切还好吧?丹尼六年前你丢给我一个小案子让我练手
Since then, I have moved on to much bigger and more lucrative matters.
可从那以后,我不断地接到更大的案子和更好的锻练机会
Well, that tiny little case that I have neglected comes up for trial tomorrow.
突然间,那件我曾经忽视的小案子明天就要开庭了
I just hope I'm ready. Hug?
我只是希望我准备好了要不要抱一下?
Boxes, photocopier. Knock yourself out.Thanks.
资料在这,复印机在,那自己搞定吧,谢谢
I monitor to make sure you don't steal originals.
我在这里看着以防你拿走了原件
They assigned you to sit in here and watch me?
他们雇用你专门坐在这里监视我?
No, I volunteer.
不是,我自己要求的
Why go out with friends when I can sit and observe first-year associates do tedious grunt work?
是不是想问我为什么不出去找几个朋友玩玩而要在这里看一个菜鸟律师做些无聊的工作?
Are you a lawyer here?
你是这里的律师吗?
If I was a lawyer, you think I'd be doing this?
如果我是律师,你认为我会做这些事吗?
I'm a paralegal,even lower than you on the grunt meter.
我是律师助手比你的级别还要低
You got a name?Yep.
你有名字吗?有吧
I hope as you viewed yourself through my beautiful-yet-anonymous eyes that you saw what everybody else in the restaurant saw,
我希望当你透过我这个"美丽且仍然不知道姓名的女性"的眼睛能够看到当时其他人的表情
Which was a total nut job. What's going on?
我感觉自己像个傻瓜似的,怎么了?
He broke into a song from "The music man" over a fish.
他把电影"音乐奇才"的桥段照搬到一条鱼上
While you're here,there are six associates in the conference room helping Denise prep for her trial.
既然你来了现在会议室里有六名助理正在帮丹尼斯准备开庭的东西
Go make it seven. Now? It's after 10 o'clock.
过去凑够七个好了,现在? 可是已经晚上十点多了啊
You can tell time. That's great.
你还挺清醒的,还知道时间,好极了
You're gonna be reviewing opening and closing arguments given by opposing counsel over the last ten years.
你去帮忙找出过去十年对方律师所做的开案和结案陈词
Now look in particular for his pet phrases,folksy stories, anecdotes, whatever he uses to charm juries.
尤其要注意他用来取悦陪审团时喜欢用的句子,小故事和各种奇闻轶事
Now we're a team here. Whatever Denise needs.
我们现在就是丹尼斯的后援小组
And thanks for coming back in.
谢谢你回来帮忙
You're a trouper.
你是个好伙伴
I'm a trouper?
听起来我像个傻瓜
I wouldn't suppose I could get a beer around here.Nope.
我想这里应该没有啤酒吧。没
Maybe since we've hit it off so well,you and I can get one together after I'm done.
既然我们看起来这么合拍也许我完成后我们可以找个地方聊聊
I don't date.You don't date? You have a boyfriend? Nope.
我不约会。为什么?你有男朋友了? 没
May I ask, don't you get lonely?
恕我直言,你不会觉得孤单吗?
I don't date because all that ever comes of it,is I get to know the guy, maybe even like the guy,only then to be disappointed in bed.
我不约会是因为每次从我开始认识一个人到喜欢上他都会因为我对他的床上功夫感到失望而结束
So no longer bother.
所以不要烦我了
Well, if the bed part is important, don't you miss that?
既然如此,如果床上部分对你而言那么重要,你不会想要吗?
Oh, I screw.I just don't date.
噢,我和常别人做爱。只是不约会而已
Okay, did they, like, tell you to say that to distract me from the file?
我懂了,他们是不是,类似说故意让你在这里分散我的注意力?
Take off your pants.What?
把裤子脱掉哈?
Well, obviously you want to have sex.
很明显你想和我做爱
I want to see you first.
我要先看看你的本钱
I'm not gonna let you inspect me. Fine.Okay.
我才不要玩这种资格审查的事,随你便,拼了!
Did you have intentions with this girl? I really didn't.
你对那个女孩有企图?完全没有
I just wanted to have a nice dinner with polite conversation,
我只不过是想好好的吃一顿再惬意地聊聊天
the kind of thing Tara accused me of being utterly incapable of.
塔拉曾经嘲笑我说我在这些方面是个无能
Here's a tip, my friend.
朋友,告诉你一些窍门
Never, ever talk about anything to do with the environment.
绝对,永远不要谈论任何有关环境的问题
It's boring. It makes you boring.
这个无聊的话题会使你也变得很闷
Second, it's political.
第二,政治话题
You gotta figure half the people are against it.
你会发现永远有一半人在反对你
Half the people are against the environment?
一半的人反对环境问题?
She can find younger, better-looking guys,better lovers, guys with more interests in common.
她大可以找一个比你年轻且英俊有更多共同话题的的爱人
What you have is power.
但是你的权力是他们不能给予的
I actually begin my dates by putting cash right on the table.
因此事实上我通常会用桌子上的钞票来作为开场白
And that works? With the hookers.Sorry to interrupt. I just have one quick little question.
这样有用吗?至少对妓女有用抱歉打扰了我只是有一个小问题要问
Did you tell Lori you liked chubby sex?
你和洛丽说你喜欢和胖妞做爱?
I meant it as a compliment.
这可是赞美的话啊
What? Oh, God.Oh, God!
啥?我的天。噢,我的天!
First of all, nobody disputes that a terrible tragedy has occurred.
首先,没有人否认在那里发生了一场悲剧
And if ever during the course of this trial we come across as trying to trivialize the plaintiff's pain,
如果有人认为在这场审讯当中我们的所作所为漠视了原告的痛苦
well, let me apologize for that right now.
那么请允许我在这里向他道个歉
Their suffering is a given,and we all wish we could bring Kevin Parkinson back,
可是惨剧已经发生了我们亦希望凯文·帕金森能够回到我们身边
but lawsuits unfortunately do not do that.
然而很可惜我们对此无能为力
Lawsuits are about money.
我们能做的,就是给予金钱上的赔偿
Okay, that's his theme in every single opening statement.
好了,这就是他每次官司所有开案陈词的主题内容
He sets them up to detach themselves from their emotions,and he's very good at it.
他这么做是为了让陪审团不受原告情绪的影响他非常擅长此道
Where'd you get this tape?
你在哪弄来这盒带子的?
He had a trial in March. They allowed cameras in the courtroom.
他三月份有一个官司,那次法庭上允许录像
Watch this.You're human beings.
看这个大家都是人
You don't have to deny your feelings or compassion.
大家也没必要抑制自己的情感
Just don't let yourselves as jurors be governed by them.
只是作为一个陪审员不要被情感所左右
Listen, I pored over most of the design records.
我翻了一遍绝大多数的设计记录
I didn't find anything new.
没发现什么帮得上忙的东西
Okay, thank you.
好的,谢谢你
Was there something else?
还有事吗?
Well, there was an incident,which one of the senior partners is calling Lewiston about.
呃,出了点小意外一位高级合伙人正在和刘易斯顿,谈这件事
I felt I should report it to you.
我想我应该先告诉你
You had sex tonight with one of their paralegals? Yes.
你和他们的一位律师助手发生了性关系?是的
It had no bearing on the quality of my work.
但这绝对不会影响我的工作质量
And of course, I didn't reveal anything privileged.
而且当然地,我没有向她透露任何信息
You had sex with her where?
你在哪里和她发生关系的?
Um, in the file room.
呃,在档案室
Where do you think you are, Garrett?
你以为你在哪里,加勒特?
Do you think you're still in college? No, ma'am.
你以为还在大学吗?不是的,太太
Call me "ma'am" again, and you are fired.
再叫我太太,你就滚蛋
Get out. I do not have time to deal with this.
出去,我没空理这些闲事
Oh, not that this is relevant but,while I may have casual sex outside of a relationship,
噢,说句无关的话我虽然有时候偶尔会有些不检点的行为
when I'm involved with someone,I'm a completely faithful person.
可是当我对某人认真的时候,我会是一个绝对忠诚的人
Garrett, get out.
加勒特给我出去
Look, I actually like Denny.
你要知道,我很喜欢丹尼
And the truth is, I can tolerate most of his nonsense.
事实上我可以容忍他绝大部分非故意的话
But whereas five years ago, it was flirtatious,now it's lascivious.
但是五年前他仅仅是比较轻浮而已而现在却是猥亵了
And with Alan Shore suddenly at his side...
特别是当艾伦·肖尔突然间加入了...
What's this got to do with Alan Shore?
这和艾伦·肖尔也有关系?
Alan Shore sexually objectifies every woman he meets,and I mean every woman.
艾伦·肖尔习惯物化他所见到的所有女性我是指所有女性
At least with him, you could say he's an equal-opportunity offender.
但是起码对我来说他还算是一个双方平等的进攻者
But you haven't filed a complaint against Alan Shore?
但是你没有投诉艾伦·肖尔?
You know, I probably should,
你说的对,我的确应该这么做
but I don't want to give him the satisfaction.
但是我不想让他那么得意
More importantly, he's not the senior partner. Denny Crane is.
更主要的是,他不是高级合伙人而丹尼·克兰,是
By the way,after I complained,Denny Crane attributed my protest to the wanton cry of a lonely chubbette.
随便说句在我投诉之后丹尼·克兰把我的抗议视作一个寂寞痴肥的女人在渴求慰藉
Doctor, if you say that she died peacefully in her sleep...
医生,如果你说她是安详地死在睡梦中...
I said possibly peacefully.
我是说有可能安详地
Even possibly,you cannot get on the stand and give that testimony.
就算是有可能你在作证的时候也不能这么说
You asked me to review the autopsy.
你这是在叫我推翻自己的检验结果
I hired you as an expert witness to testify for the plaintiff at $7,500 a day.
我可是以每天7千5百美元的高薪聘请你作为原告的专家证人
My time may be for sale, counselor.
你可以雇用我为你服务
My findings are not.
可是你没办法改变事实
You listen to me.
你听好
You are retired as a doctor.
作为医生你已经退休了
You make your living as a plaintiff's expert.
你现在是靠做起诉人的专家证人为生
You rely on firms such as this to refer you. Denise!
你必须依赖像我们这样的律师事务所来接工作丹尼斯!
Second-chairing does not involve speaking.
你没有插嘴的权力
You're suborning perjury.
你是在贿赂我做伪证
I am not asking you to lie.
我不是要你说谎
I am encouraging you to interpret your findings in a way...
我只是支持你用另外一种方式来阐述你的证词...
You mean tailor them.
你要我按照你的意愿来调整证词
She died in a fire, for God sakes
她可是死在一场火灾中,我的上帝
You're saying she didn't suffer?
你敢说她没有遭受一点痛苦?
She may have suffered,but she may have died without ever waking up.
她也许有受苦可是她也可能就在睡梦中死去
I do not want to hear that word "peacefully".
我不想再听见"安详"这个词
You can say, "maybe she died in her sleep,"but you have no medical basis to say that she died peacefully.
你可以说,"也许她死在睡梦里"但是你没有任何医学根据证明她死的很安详
I do not want to hear that word.
我不想再听见这个词,明白吗?
We just had, uh, excellent chemistry.
我们只是,呃,产生了一些很妙的化学反应
Look, I promise you, I never compromised the case or the firm.
但是我保证,我没有做出任何危害事务所利益的事
It was a personal, um, uh, matter.
那只是一些,呃,个人行为
You don't think you compromised the firm, Mr. Wells?
你认为你没有让事务所受损,Wells先生?
You are an associate at Crane, Poole & Schmidt.
你是克兰, 普尔 & 施密特,律师事务所中的一员.
Your behavior, personal or otherwise,is a reflection on Crane, Poole & Schmidt.
你的行为举止,不管是个人行为也好,什么都好都会不可避免地影响到我们的律师事务所
I'm Schmidt!I exercised extremely poor judgment,and all I can say is it will never, ever happen again.
而我是施密特!我承认我在错误的地点做了错误的事我向您保证绝对不会有下一次
You can consider yourself on serious probation.
你现在等于被判了死刑,暂缓执行
Yes, sir. Uh...uh, ma'am.You may leave.
是的,先生,呃...呃,女士出去吧
And if I ever hear of your belt buckle being so much as loose,you will be discharged.
如果再让我知道你看不好你的裤头带你就死定了
Yes, ma'am.Are you okay? I'm sorry.
是的,女士。你没事吧?对不起
The truth is, I'm angry at myself, and I'm venting.I do that.
事实上,我是在生自己的气,我在找地方发泄。所以我这样做
It did sound a little like you were suborning perjury.
听起来你的确是很像在贿赂证人
Dr. Forbes is as truthful as they come.
福布斯医生明白我的意思
I was just reminding him,perhaps a bit too forcefully,that we need him to be an advocate.
我只是在提醒他而已也许有点做过头了但是我们需要他站在我们这边
Sara, hello.It's good to see you again.
萨拉你好,真开心又见到你了
Alan, this is a ladies' room.
艾伦这里是女洗手间
Yes, and such as it is, I'll be brief.
我知道,所以我会长话短说
I just want to apologize for last night.
我只是想为昨晚的事情道歉
The thing is with salmon,my mind goes immediately to spawning,and to think that these fish farms could...
我在说三文鱼的时候其实我的脑海里面想的是产卵的过程由此想到捕鱼的人会打扰到他们...
What I'm trying to say is I'd like the chance to remake myself once again in your eyes.
我想要说的是希望你再给我一个机会让我可以改变一下我在你眼中的形象
Shirley.Please leave the ladies' room, Alan.Yes.Sara.Denise.
雪莉.请离开女洗手间,艾伦.好的萨拉.丹尼斯.
First you. What's with the mood?
你那边进行的怎么样了?
Wrongful death case I thought we'd settle.
一个我以为我们可以解决的误杀案件
We're going to trial, my damages.
但是我们需要上庭了,我搞砸了
This is the Pitino case?
是皮蒂诺,的案子吗?
The woman was terminally ill
那个女人原本已经危危可及了
My expert says she possibly didn't even suffer.
我的专家说她也许根本感受不到痛苦
Is the jury gonna care that her life was shortened by a few days,pain-ridden days at that?
我也不相信陪审团会为了一个只有几天可活的女人而做出对我们有利的判决
Denise, you can never count on people to care about the problems of others.
丹尼斯你永远都不要指望别人会为身外的事而操心
They will, however, always deeply invest in their own. Got it.
但是,如果涉及到他们本身的话情况又不同了,我明白了
What? I missed something. What?
什么?我没听明白,你说什么?
And you, what's Alan Shore up to?
还有你,艾伦·肖尔,想干吗?
Evidently he wants to spawn.
很明显他想使别人产卵
Well, we have a systemic problem at this firm, don't we?
看来我们的系统出了问题,对吗?
Lori was meeting with Meredith Waters today.
洛丽今天和梅雷迪思·沃特斯顿,见面了
Blinky? Blinky? Who's blinky?
布林克斯是谁?
She's who you hire when you're suing for sexual harassment.
她是当你遭到性骚扰的时候会想要找的人
Blinky was here? Garrett
布林克斯来过这里? 加勒特.
What are you doing here?
你来这干嘛?
I missed you.
我想你了
Cassie, I am in serious trouble because of what happened.Oh, come on.
卡西由于我们上次做的事我现在有大麻烦了。噢,别这样
That's why the sex was so good, Garrett.
性爱之所以那么美好加勒特
Because you were breaking rules.
就是因为你无视规则
You weren't just screwing me,you were screwing this whole establishment.
你在把我弄得乱糟糟的同时也同样把整个制度弄得乱糟糟
Cassie, you shouldn't be here.
可是卡西,你不应该在这里出现的
You really need to go now.
你先走吧
Okay, just give me a quick tour.
好吧,只是带我转一圈
I want to see where you work.
我想看看你工作的地方
I don't have time.
可我现在没有时间
Then just show me your file room.
那就只带我参观一下档案室吧
Cassie, I could lose my job. Maybe I already have.Really?
卡西我会因此丢掉工作的,我已经感到不妙了。真的?
Then how about we just do it right here in front of everyone, and you can go out in style?
那不如我们就在这里做吧当着大家的面,让你炫耀一把?
You need to go.
你真的要离开了
I'm not leaving, Garrett,unless you promise to screw my brains out tonight.Okay.Say it.
我不走加勒特除非你答应今晚让我欲仙欲死。好吧。说给我听
I want to hear you say it.
我要听你亲口说出来
Denny, look at me.
丹尼看着我
I adore you.
我喜欢你
And please don't interpret that as meaning...
但是别误会我不是说...
You want me! I want you.
你想要我! 我想要你
I'm not going to explain to you all the laws regarding sexual harassment,
我想不必要和你说有关性骚扰的各条法律条文了
but the only way to avoid a train wreck where you become the victim is for Lori to call this off.
但是如果要把你从这个棘手的事情中拉出来需要洛丽,自己撤销控诉
I apologized. I said...
我很抱歉,我和她说过...
You need to try harder.
你要再努力一些
One of the reasons I came back here, Denny,
我回来的其中一个原因,丹尼
you make me laugh.
就是你会逗我开心
But this isn't funny.
但是这次并不好笑
All right, we'll begin with opening statements, starting with the plaintiff.
好了,我们由开案陈词部分开始首先是原告发言
Good morning.My name is Denise Bauer.
早上好,我的名字是丹尼斯·鲍尔
I, along with Sara Holt, will be representing the plaintiff Jose Pitino,
我和萨拉? 霍尔特是原告乔斯·皮蒂诺的代表律师
whose wife Elena died in the fire that started in their garage
原告的妻子埃琳娜,死于一场源自他们车库的火灾
when their pickup truck,manufactured and sold by the defendant,suddenly burst into flames.
造成这场火灾的原因是因为被告所生产并销售的皮卡无故自燃
The truck was not running at the time.
而这辆皮卡当时并没有发动
In fact, it had not been driven all night.
事实上,那辆车整晚都没有被使用过
Let me begin by saying that a terrible human tragedy has occurred here,
这个可怕的悲剧就发生在我们身边
and of course nothing that happens in this courtroom will bring Elena Pitino back.
当然,我们在这个法庭里所做的一切都不能挽救回埃琳娜·皮蒂诺,的生命
Lawsuits, you see,are ultimately about money,putting a dollar figure on suffering.
如你们所知,官司的最终目的其实就是用金钱来试图弥补当事人受到的伤害
Admittedly, there is some question as to how much Elena even suffered in the fire.
必须要肯定,问题之一就是埃琳娜,到底在这场大火中受到多少伤害
Also admittedly, Elena was in the final stages of ovarian cancer.
我们也必须承认埃琳娜已经处于子宫癌晚期
She had come home from the hospital,
事实上,她当天从医院返回家
in fact, that very day, basically to die.
就是要在家里等候死亡来临
You may ask yourselves,"What damages did she really endure?"
你们可能会问自己"她到底承受了多大的痛苦?"
Well, you will hear from Jose Pitino,
这些你们都可以从乔斯·皮蒂诺处了解到
and what you will hear is that she had a day
而且你们会了解到
and another day coming after that and another one after that.
她所拥有的是她生命当中的最后的几天
She had, in fact, six or seven days to be at home with her family.
事实上,她只剩下六或七天时间可以和家人团聚了
She didn't get those days.
可是她没能享受到这最后的时光
She never got that last opportunity to sit with her grandchildren.
她根本就没有机会再次坐在她的孙子旁
Jose was never able to hold his wife of 37 years in his arms.
乔斯也再也没有机会可以抱着陪伴他度过了37年光阴的妻子
Hold her in his arms and, um...if any of you have spent the final days with a loved one dying of cancer or another disease,
亲手抱着她...如果你们其中任何一位曾经有过挚爱不幸死于癌症或其他绝症
you know that those moments are the most precious.
你们就能体会得到那短短地几天,会有多么的弥足珍贵
Jose and Elena Pitino had those days coming.They didn't get them.
乔斯和埃琳娜·皮蒂诺,本来可以有这个机会。但是他们却没有得到
You can't bring Elena Pitino back,
你们虽然不能拯救埃琳娜·皮蒂诺,的生命
but you are in a position to help save others.
但是也许你们可以拯救其他人的
Because lawsuits, in addition to money,are about allocating burden.
因为这些诉讼,除了金钱赔偿外也能够警醒世人
Who is best able to prevent this tragedy from happening again?
有谁最能够阻止这些悲剧的再度发生呢?
Well, you might be inclined to think this is just a freak accident.
当然,你们也许不禁会想说这只是一场意外
But in fact, this is a much bigger problem.
但是事实上,这不仅仅是一场意外
This is a very popular sport truck made by a major manufacturer of sport trucks,
这是由一家大型卡车制造商生产的十分畅销的一种皮卡
and they're catching fire.
而它们居然会无故自燃
The defendant has recently recalled almost a million of their vehicles because of this malfunction.
而且被告最近召回了数以百万计他们所生产的车辆正是由于这些车辆出现了这个故障
So you see, this is potentially your problem.
你们看,这也许就是你们明天所要面临的情境
How do you motivate a corporate conglomerate to fix a defect?
那么你们要怎么做才能使这些事情不再发生?
You make it too expensive for them not to.
你要让他们付出沉重的代价
At the conclusion of this trial,when it finally comes down to a dollar amount,
当这场审判的结果最终变为一个具体的金额数字时
I'll be asking you to be legislators and come back with a number
我恳求你们,作为裁定者给我们一个数字
that says to the defendant and all car manufacturers,
让它可以警醒所有汽车制造商们对他们说
"Make your vehicles safe".
"务必使你们的车更加安全"
For your sake,for your daughters,for your grandsons.
为了你们自己,为了你们的子女,为了你们的孙辈
And I'll ask you to be human beings,the conscience of a compassionate society,
我恳求你们,作为一个人作为这个社会的良心
and return with a verdict that somehow reflects
为埃琳娜·皮蒂诺所失去的一切
everything that was taken from Elena Pitino,
带来一份合理的判决
her family and most of all...
带给她的家庭,更重要的是
her high-school sweetheart.
她的中学爱人,
They just got off the elevator.
他们刚从电梯出来
I don't care what the offer is, nobody reacts.
不管他们的出价是什么,都不要有反应
Let me do the talking, all of it.
让我来和他们谈
It must be a much bigger offer if they expect...Let's just see.
我想应该会超出我们的预期...拭目以待
Once again, nobody speaks.Denise
再说一次,不要出声丹尼斯.
Welcome back.Mr. Pitino.Ms. Holt.
欢迎回来。皮蒂诺先生。霍尔特小姐
It's okay to say hello. Hi.
打招呼没关系的,你好
We're due back in court at 4 unless we settle this.
如果我们不能协商好,那么4点法庭再见
Do you have a number? We do.
你们商量好了吗?是的
Let me preface by saying that the client is making this offer against my advice.
让我先声明我并不赞成我委托人提出的价钱
I feel it is far too generous.
我认为太夸张了
Of course. What is it?
你当然那么说,让我看看
$ 1.4 Million Dollars Oh, my God. Too low.
1百40万美元。我的天。太低了
Too low. What about punitives?
太低了,罚金呢?
That's everything, Denise.
都包含在里面了丹尼斯
You either take it, or we go back.
你要么接受,要么我们回到法庭上去
I think there's more.
我想可以要求更多
This is good, Denise.
这已经很好了丹尼斯
Are you sure? Yes.Okay.
你确定?是的。好吧
Well, back to court we go.
好吧,我们回到法庭上去
You can't be serious.
你不是认真的吧
Our jury research consultant says we should get something with a two.
我们研究陪审团的顾问提议我们应该获得2字开头的金额
I trust them. Let's go.
我相信他们,走吧
$1.7. That's as high as I'm authorized.
1百70万,我只能给那么多了
Payable now? All of it.
现在就支付? 一次付清
Done. No admission.
成交,不得泄漏出去
Check by end of business tomorrow? Done
明天到帐?成交
Yoll draft? Yes.
支票? 是的
Congratulations, Mr. Pitino.
恭喜你皮蒂诺先生
And let me say personally, I'm very sorry for your loss.
请允许我个人向您表示节哀顺变
I don't know what to say.
我不知道说什么好了
Jose, I just want you to know I would have never let the $1.4 go.
乔斯我只是要你明白我不会让这1.4飞走的
I...I think I need to go to the bathroom.
我...我要去一下洗手间
I don't want to cry in front of you, so that's why I'm going...
我不想在你们面前哭所以我要去...
Thank you, Denise. I...
谢谢你丹尼斯,我...
If you ever want to join my weekly poker game,you are more than invited.
如果你想参加我每周的扑克游戏请尽管来
Can I just say that...
我能不能说...
You have other work to do.Yes.
你有其他事要做,是的
Go do it, please.Cassie...
去吧。卡西...
Look, this... it doesn't feel right.Okay.
这...好像不对劲。好吧
I love you. Better?
我爱你,感觉好些吗?
This feels angry. What's wrong?
你好像在生气,怎么了?
There's nothing wrong with me!
我没事!
What's wrong with you?
你有什么毛病?
Just... I'm done.
来吧...我不来了
I don't know what's going on but...
我不知道发生了什么事,但是...
Look, let's just, uh...They killed my brother.Excuse me?
我们...他们杀了我的兄弟。什么?
My, my little brother.He's dead.
我,我的弟弟。他死了
Last week...in Baghdad. He was...he was guarding some, some stupid truck.
上个星期...在巴格达,他当时...他当时在看守着一些,一些该死的卡车
And somebody blew it up.He...he was only 18.
然后有人炸了它们。他...他只有18岁啊
They, they killed him.He was my...my baby brother, and he's not coming home.
他们,是他们杀了他,他是我的...我的宝贝弟弟,但是他却回不来了
Just get off me.Can I get them for that?
走开。我可以告他们吗?
I want to get them.
我要告他们
Can I get them?
我可以告他们吗?
The thing about an apology is it may make you a bigger man but,the experience of saying it makes you feel very small.
道歉这样东西会使你觉得自己很高尚,但是真的要说出口的时候却让人无地自容
I'm sorry. I really am.Why did you call me chubby?
我很抱歉,真的。你为什么要叫我胖妞?
I didn't mean anything by it.
我并没有其他意思的
Well, it hurt.But...see, what I don't get is you know how much I care about you,admire you, even.
但是,那很伤人。但是...我没有做到的就是让你知道我有多关心你甚至仰慕你
I suppose I'm not feeling that.
我想我没有感受到这点
I hesitate to admit this but,when I was 7 years old, I was a fatty.
虽然不愿意承认,但是当我7岁的时候,我很胖
During my parents' divorce, my mother had a lawyer.
我父母离婚的时候,我母亲请了一个律师
She was thin, smart, secure, confident in mind and body.
她苗条,聪明,而且有安全感使我身心都充满自信
And I said to myself,"That's what I'm gonna be when I grow up".
于是我对自己说"我长大要变成她"
And I did grow up to be her,or so I thought.
然后我确实做到了实现了我的目标
I haven't been feeling very secure lately, Denny,either in mind or body.
我最近很没有安全感,丹尼无论是精神上还是身体上
My skin has become increasingly thin with all of the sexual banter in the office.
对办公室里的低级笑话越来越敏感
I've been feeling marginalized as an attorney.
我觉得我到了职业生涯的边缘
Maybe it's because this is such a boys' club.
也许因为这一行像是男人们的俱乐部
I don't know.
我不知道
But I'm struggling here, Denny.
但是我仍在坚持,丹尼
I'll admit to being bad only if you discipline me.
只有你想要和我玩女王游戏的时候,我才会承认我是坏孩子
I don't think it's a good idea for you to hound first-year associates.
我不认为你去追逐新来的助理是一个好主意
I don't hound the first-year associates, Shirley. I tickle them.
我不和她们玩捉迷藏。雪莉我胳肢她们
As for Sara Holt, I barely touched her.
至于萨拉·霍尔特,我几乎没碰她
My concern isn't for Sara as much as it is you.
我不担心萨拉,而是你
It makes you look sad,even pathetic.
这让你看上去很忧伤甚至有点可怜
What is it about young women?
在你眼里,年轻的女人算是什么?
Is it simply a matter of improving blood flow?
只是单纯一种可以让你血液加速的东西?
I'm not so much attracted to younger women.
我并不是那么迷恋年轻的女人
It's more the idea that they could be attracted to me.
与其那么说,不如说她们会被我所吸引
You know, you women have it lucky.
你要知道,你们女人很幸运
As you age, you only get more beautiful.
你们会随着年岁的增长而变得更加迷人
Men, we get fat and less desirable.
而男人,我们只会变得又肥又丑
You and Denny need to find other ways to have fun than being lecherous with junior associates.
你和丹尼,不能再老是骚扰新来的助理了要找乐子换其他方式
Got the cigar on the ear again.
又把雪茄插在耳朵上了
I need to amuse myself in ways I can't get sued.
我用这个方法来庆祝我不会被人告了
Lori Colson evidently met with blinky Waters.
洛丽·科尔森刚和布林克斯·沃特斯顿见过面
You may, in fact, get sued.
所以你还是可能会被起诉
Shirley says we need to behave better.
雪莉说我们以后要规矩点
If she really knew us deep down,she'd realize we behave pretty damn well.
如果她真的了解我们就会知道我们其实已经很规矩了
I miss Tara.Not that she was...
我想念塔拉,不是因为她是...
I don't like having dinner alone, sleeping alone.
我只是不喜欢一个人吃饭一个人睡觉
Having sex alone.Do you think it's pathetic...
一个人做爱,你不觉得这很郁闷吗...
Should we be married and sensible and go home to...do whatever men do at home?
你说我们是不是应该结婚然后每天回家...做个顾家好男人?
Well, I have nothing against marriage. I've done it five times.
我从来就不反对婚姻我都经历过五次了
But here's the thing about wives.
但是说到老婆
They don't let you play with your friends.
她们都不让你和你的朋友玩
I couldn't be standing outside here every night on this balcony...
那我就不能每天晚上那么悠闲地站在这个阳台上...
I'll take a friend over a wife every time.
比起老婆,我更喜欢和朋友在一起
Shouldn't a wife be your best friend?
难道妻子不能成为你的最好的朋友?
You know, Ralph Waldo Emerson said he reckoned a friend to be the masterpiece of nature.
你知道爱默生曾经说过朋友可以视作大自然赐予的最好礼物
I'm not sure I truly understood that before I met you, Denny.
我不太肯定我在遇到你之前有没有真正弄懂这句话的意思,丹尼
I'm not having sex with you.Just the same.
我不会和你上床的。什么都好
Lori really might sue?
洛丽真的要起诉我?
She met with blinky.
她见过布林克斯了