Apparently the mayor's gonna hinge his reelection campaign
显然市长准备把竞选连任的重点放在
on the renewed vigilance when it comes to quality of life crimes,
最近重新兴起的对杀人犯特点的警惕上
so keep it in mind when you're out there doing real work.
你们在外面工作的时候要记住这一点
Captain?
警监
Guy walked in, said he needs to see the man in charge.
这家伙走进来,说要见负责人
Are you the Lord here?
你是这的大人吗
He keeps saying "Lord."
他一直用"大人"这个词
I took it to mean "captain"
我理解为他是指"警监"
Tom Gregson. Can I help you?
我是汤姆·格雷森,有什么能帮你的
I am the Knight.
我是骑士
I was dubbed.
我曾被授予头衔
Now I am the Knight.
现在我是骑士
Okay.
好吧
That's why I had to kill the Queen.
所以我必须杀死王后
You killed the Queen?
你杀死了王后吗
It was my duty.
这是我的使命
I had to kill her.
我必须杀死她
I had to.
必须这么做
Gun! It was my duty.
有枪,这是我的使命
Hey!
请注意
If you pick up that gun,
一旦你拿起那把枪
this is gonna end fast and ugly.
事态可就一发不可收拾了
I'm the Knight.
我是骑士
Holmes, stay back, stay back!
福尔摩斯,后退,快后退
I was dubbed. Sir, I'm gonna ask you
我曾被授予头衔,先生
one more time-- step away from that weapon.
我再提醒你一遍,远离武器
Can I try something?
能让我试试吗
Try it fast.
速度要快
The, uh, scarf on your wrist?
你手腕上的丝巾
On your wrist. It...
系在你手腕上的,它...
It...
它...
As I was saying, I noticed the scarf straightaway.
如我所说,我第一眼就注意到了那条丝巾
This is an extremely compelling story, Mr. Holmes,
你的故事非常引人入胜,福尔摩斯先生
but I asked about the James Dylan case.
但我询问的是詹姆斯·迪兰的案子
The incident you're describing
但你所陈述的事件
is connected to the murder of Rada Hollingsworth.
却和蕾达·霍林沃斯的谋杀案有关
Which is, in turn, inextricably linked
而此案恰恰与詹姆斯·迪兰的案子
to the tale of James Dylan.
有着密不可分的关系
If you would just answer the question I asked you.
请直接回答我的问题
I am answering the question,
我正在回答你的问题
just more precisely than you intended me to.
只是比你要求的更精确而已
You cannot understand one incident
如果你不先了解另外一件事
without first understanding the other.
就无法弄清眼前的这件事
As I was saying...
正如我所说
The scarf on your wrist--
你手腕上的丝巾
was it a favor from your lady?
是你家小姐的赏赐吗
Yes. Belonged to my Queen.
是的,这是王后的
Then it must be returned to her.
那你必须还给她
Knight's Code commands it, yeah?
骑士守则是这么要求的,对吧
You give it to me, I'll have a squire bring it to her.
你把它给我,我会请侍从送还给她
Here.
过来
Allow me, sir.
让我来吧,先生
Go down.
趴下
Down! No!
趴下,不
Knight's Code? What is that?
骑士守则,那是什么
Uh, it's oral tradition.
这是个口口相传的传统
The man's clearly schizophrenic, but...
这人显然患有精神分裂
his delusions are based on, uh... on actual history.
但他的幻想错觉,是基于一定史实的
In the Middle Ages,
在中世纪时期
a knight would often wear a token from their beloved.
骑士往往会佩戴一件心爱之人的物品
Usually an article of clothing, a scarf.
一般会是布制品,比如说丝巾
Any thoughts where the Queen who gave it to him might be?
能想到给他丝巾的王后在哪吗
No, not just yet.
不,还没想到
Give the man a minute, will you?
让他休息一会,行吗
He's a brave and brilliant instrument of justice.
他是机智勇敢的执法利器
All we got to do is stay out of his way,
我们所要做的,就是别打扰他
and he'll lead us right to the truth.
他一定会带我们找到真相的
I got to throw a flag on the play.
容许我提出异议
Now, I've known Tommy Gregson a long time.
我和汤米·格雷森是老相识了
I'm guessing he didn't actually say that.
我觉得他不会说这种话
He may have used different words to make the same point.
也许措辞不同,但表达的是同一个意思
Mr. Holmes,
福尔摩斯先生
do me a favor?
就算帮我个忙
Spare us the flourishes.
别再夸夸其谈了
You're under oath, and that oath counts.
你宣过誓了,并且誓言有效
This is a real hearing presided over by a real judge.
这是一场由正牌法官主持的正式听证会
Of course, Your Honor.
您说的是,法官大人
It is an administrative hearing.
这是一场行政听证会
This court represents neither state nor federal law,
开庭的依据既不是州也不是联邦政府法律
but rather the dictates of the police department of New York.
而是纽约警局的要求
So, "real judge," while not technically inaccurate,
所以"正牌法官"这个说法,与其说不准确
seems like an overstatement.
不如说是言过其实
By all means,
既然如此
let's be 100% accurate.
那我们就说得准确一点
I do only represent the police department of New York.
我确实只代表了纽约警局
We're here today because you screwed up.
今天我们在这是因为你犯了错
And the NYPD has empowered me,
而纽约警局授权我
as a technically real judge,
作为严格意义上的正牌法官
to determine the magnitude of said screw-up,
来判断所谓错误的严重程度
and to make a recommendation
并对你和你的搭档
as to whether or not you and your partner
能否继续待在这座城市
can continue your relationship with the city.
与警方合作作出评估
Now, is that accurate enough for you?
这个说法对你来说够准确了吗
We're here today because of one particular breach of protocol.
我们今天要审理的是一起特定的违法案件
Alleged breach of protocol.
涉嫌违法案件
Alleged breach of protocol.
好吧,涉嫌违法案件
I'm curious, though.
不过我很好奇
Would you say the incident is part of a larger pattern?
你同意这起事件代表了某种行为模式吗
Tommy. Commissioner.
汤米,局长
So how about it, Mr. Holmes?
你怎么说,福尔摩斯先生
Is this all part of a larger pattern?
这起事件代表了某种行为模式吗
I'm sorry. I don't follow you.
不好意思,我不明白你的意思
Do you routinely break the law
你是否一直在调查过程中
during the course of your investigations?
违反法律
Ah, not that I recall, no.
在我的印象中,没有
So you've never broken the law?
所以你从未犯过法吗
Everyone breaks the law, Ms. Walker.
每个人都犯过法,沃克女士
Case in point.
举个例子
You have been precisely seven minutes early
我们每次会面
for every meeting we've ever had.
你都会正好早到七分钟
You arrange your notebooks
每天你排列笔记本的
exactly the same way each day.
方式都完全一致
You position a small photograph of an eleventh-century bust
你会放一张十一世纪的半身雕像照片
so that you can look at it before you begin your work.
每次开庭前都会看上一眼
Are you suggesting that someone as bound by routine
你是说如你这般严格遵守日程安排的人
such as yourself has never crossed
从没因为赶时间
against the traffic lights in order to keep to a schedule?
而闯红灯过马路吗
I'm not talking about that kind of law-breaking.
我不是指那方面的犯法
So, some degree of criminality is acceptable,
所以某种程度的犯法可以接受
the rest is just negotiating boundaries?
而其他的就有待商榷吗
Answer the questions directly, Mr. Holmes.
请直接回答问题,福尔摩斯先生
If you won't do it out of respect for this institution,
就算你不是出于对法庭的尊重
do it for the officer who's in the hospital
起码请你为了因此住院的警官
'cause of what happened here.
而配合我们的询问
I have never broken the law in a manner Ms. Walker suggests.
我从未以沃克女士所指的形式触犯过法律
We have statements from several officers saying
我们手里有好几位警官的证词
they have no idea how you and your partner
表示他们不知道你和你的搭档
get inside of so many private homes
以何种方式进入众多
and businesses when nobody's there.
空无一人的私宅或机构
They all think you break in.
他们都认为你们是非法入侵
So, you didn't pick the lock on Victor Nardin's apartment?
难道你没撬开维克多·纳丁公寓的门锁
You didn't break into the McTierney Brothers Mortuary?
也没闯进过麦迪尼兄弟停尸间吗
A couple of our officers even think
有几位警官甚至认为
you've taught your partner how to do it.
你还把这项技能传授给了搭档
The officers who told you those things are confused.
这么说的警官一定是弄错了
You're saying you didn't enter those dwellings?
你是说你没到过上述场所吗
Because you used evidence from inside those places.
因为你使用了原本放在那些地方的证据
No. Ms. Watson and I entered those locations,
不,华生小姐和我进入过那些场所
just not illegally.
但不是以非法的方式
I'm not sure I understand.
我不明白你的意思
It was quite some time ago, but if I remember correctly,
事情过去挺久了,但如果我没记错的话
on most of those occasions, the doors were open.
大多数情况下,门都是开着的
In New York City?
在纽约市里
The front doors were open?
会有地方门户大开吗
Not just unlocked, but actually open?
不只是没有锁,而确实是开着的吗
I was surprised, as well.
对此我也很惊讶
In several other instances,
还有几次
we thought we heard cries for help.
我们认为听到了呼救的声音
They turned out to be televisions
结果是声音被调大的电视机
with the volume turned up.
发出的声音
So there's an epidemic of people
所以现在人们流行
leaving their TVs on?
不在家的时候开着电视吗
Once we mistook the cries
有一次,我们误以为
of a small puppy for a baby in distress.
小狗的叫声是遇险婴儿的哭声
Your Honor, allow me to register my skepticism.
法官大人,请将我的怀疑记录在案
Registered, but unless you've got a witness
已记录,但除非你能找到证人
who can contradict Mr. Holmes' testimony...
可以反驳福尔摩斯先生的证词
How could she? Miss Watson and I were the only ones present.
怎么可能,只有华生小姐和我在场
Oh, I'll be asking Miss Watson what happened.
我会询问华生小姐的
Excellent. That should clear things up.
很好,那就都清楚了
So, someone walked into the eleventh precinct with a shotgun.
所以,有人带着一把猎枪走进第十一分局
This has something to do with the James Dylan incident...
这跟詹姆斯·迪兰案有一些关系
No, it has everything to do with it.
不,是有千丝万缕的关系
Having disarmed the Knight,
解除骑士的武装之后
we turned our attention to establishing his identity
我们将注意力转向确定
and that of the Queen.
他和王后的身份
Does anyone ever call you anything besides "The Knight"?
除了"骑士" 你还有别的名字吗
It was my duty to kill the Queen.
杀死王后是我的使命
I-I was summoned to her lair
我被召唤到她的巢穴
and told that only in death
并被告知只有死亡
would her soul be saved from the demons.
才能将她的灵魂从魔鬼手中解救出来
Th-This lair--
这个巢穴
do you have any idea where it is?
你知道它在哪里吗
It was my sworn duty.
那是我宣过誓的使命
This is going nowhere.
这么问不会有结果的
He's schizophrenic, in the middle of a psychotic episode.
他有精神分裂症,正在发病期
It's going to be days
要长期治疗并服用
and a lot of risperidone before he starts making sense.
利培酮(精神分裂药物)才能让他恢复正常
Not a time frame that bodes well for the Queen,
那么长时间对王后来说可不是好兆头
on the off chance she is still alive.
时间越长,她还活着的几率越小
Well, there's blood in the treads of his boots.
他的靴子底上有血迹
Probably hers.
可能是她的
Two receipts, both for early-morning coffee runs.
两张收据,买的都是大清早的咖啡
One at 6:27 A.M., one at 6:36,
一张是早上6:27 一张是6:36
both from the same bodega on West 20th and Fifth Avenue.
都是来自西二十街第五大道路口的酒馆
Well, maybe he lives in the Flatiron District.
可能他住在熨斗区
Along with hundreds of thousands of other people.
那地方有几十万人居民
Only one of them is named Silas Cole.
他们中只有一个叫塞拉斯·科尔
I texted his picture to a friend of mine
我把他的照片发给了一个
who works the psych E.R. at Sanbridge.
圣桥医院精神科急诊室的朋友
She recognized him.
她认出了他
I set her free.
我给了她自由
Captain, the man's name is Silas Cole.
警监,那个人名叫塞拉斯·科尔
He lives in the Flatiron District.
他住在熨斗区
We'll have an address for you momentarily.
我们会马上给你个地址
All right.
好吧
I'll get a warrant for his place.
我去为他家申请一个搜查令
This does not fill me with optimism for the Queen.
这让我对王后的处境很不乐观
Well, the figure on the right is obviously Silas,
右边的人显然是塞拉斯
which would suggest
也就是说
the Queen is a real person, as well.
王后也是个真实的人物
Yeah, but how do we know for sure that's the Queen?
对,但我们怎么确定那就是王后呢
I mean, I don't see any crown.
我没有看到王冠
In the Middle Ages, only royalty were allowed
在中世纪,只有皇室成员才能
to wear purple and ermine.
穿紫色衣服和貂皮
That is most certainly Silas's Queen.
那应该就是塞拉斯的王后
And he did rather a good job with the likeness.
而且他画得很像
Oh. So she was his girlfriend.
所以她是他的女朋友
Seriously? That guy's in no shape to be dating anyone.
真的吗,他看起来不像是会有约会的人
Well, you don't know what he was like on his meds.
你不知道他吃完药是什么样
Silas and his queen were together
塞拉斯和他的王后
till about six months ago, I would venture.
半年前分手了,我大胆猜测一下
These photographs-- all taken over the last three years.
这些照片,都是过去三年里拍的
There are none from last summer.
却从去年夏天开始中断了
Maybe she's the one who broke up with him.
也许是她把他甩了
Okay, look at this necklace.
看这条项链
Maybe he gave it to her as a gift.
也许是他给她的礼物
She gave it back to him when they broke up.
他们分手时她还给他了
Her name starts with an "R""
她的名字以R开头
There's a whole stack of fashion magazines here.
这里有一大堆时尚杂志
Last year's issue...
去年发行的...
Subscription mailing label's addressed to Rada Hollingsworth.
订阅标签上写着蕾达·霍林沃斯
She lives on 23rd.
她住在第二十三大街
So, Detective Bell was actually the one
所以贝尔警探才是查明
who identified Ms. Hollingsworth as "The Queen."
霍林沃斯小姐就是 "王后"的人
A substantial contribution to the case, wouldn't you say?
对案情有重大贡献,不是吗
Yes. One of many he's made during our work together.
对,是我们共事过程中他的诸多贡献之一
Sounds like you regard him as a real asset to the department.
听起来你觉得他是警局的重要人才
Detective Bell is several standard deviations above the norm.
贝尔警探比普通水平要高出几个档次
I've always regarded him as such.
我一直很欣赏他
Your affection for the man really shines through.
你对他的欣赏表现得非常明显
According to your deposition,
根据你的证词
when you got to Rada Hollingsworth's apartment,
当你们到达蕾达·霍林沃斯的公寓时
the door was wide open.
门是大开着的
That's correct.
没错
It was.
确实如此
Ms. Hollingsworth?
霍林沃斯小姐
Ms. Hollingsworth?
霍林沃斯小姐
In here!
在这里
Looks like she's been dead for a couple hours.
看来她已经死了几个小时了
These must be Silas's boot prints.
这些一定是塞拉斯的靴印
All right, I'm gonna call the station.
好吧,我给局里打电话
Tell 'em to book Cole.
让他们拘捕科尔
Don't.
慢着
You know, I'm not convinced that Silas Cole killed this woman.
我不认为是塞拉斯·科尔杀了她
Sorry.
抱歉
Silas Cole walked into the station
塞拉斯·科尔拿着散弹枪
holding a shotgun and confessed.
走进警局自首
You were standing there looking at his footprints,
你站在那里看着他的脚印
and your first thought was he didn't kill Rada Hollingsworth?
而你的第一想法却是他没有杀人
Not my first thought.
不是我的第一想法
I tend to have thoughts in rapid succession.
我的思考过程很快
She'd been shot in the chest, rib cage. Her heart...
她胸部中弹,肋骨处,她的心脏
had essentially been obliterated.
基本被打碎了
The Knight wouldn't do that.
骑士不会那么做的
Silas Cole said he killed her
塞拉斯·科尔说他杀她
in order to save her soul.
是为了拯救她的灵魂
In the Middle Ages, the heart was not just a symbol
在中世纪,心脏不光是
of romantic love. It was the vessel for the soul.
浪漫爱情的象征,也是灵魂的容器
So for him to shoot her in her heart--
所以对他来说,朝她的心脏开枪
in the universe of his delusions--
在他的幻想世界中
he would be sentencing her to eternal damnation.
会让她遭受永恒的诅咒
He wouldn't do that. He loved her.
他不会那么做,他爱她
And the confession? The...footprints?
那他的招供呢,脚印呢
Silas Cole was acting in diminished capacity.
塞拉斯·科尔行动能力很弱
He may well have believed he was responsible, even if he wasn't.
他也许相信是他干的,即使实际并非如此
As to the footprints, there's no question
关于那些脚印,毫无疑问
that he was in the apartment.
他曾经在那间公寓里
I just don't believe he pulled the trigger.
我只是不相信他扣了扳机
Which means, of course, someone else did.
也就是说,当然是别人干的
Your Honor, Ms. Watson is scheduled
法官大人,华生小姐计划
to testify at this hearing.
在这次听证会上作证
She can't be here. Excuse me, Your Honor,
她现在不能在场,对不起,法官大人
I have an important message for Captain Gregson.
我有重要的消息要告诉格雷森警监
His phone is off.
他的手机关机了
I would not interrupt otherwise.
否则我不会来打扰的
What's going on?
怎么了
Mr. Holmes, while you're on the stand in my courtroom,
福尔摩斯先生,当你上庭时
you will limit yourself to testimony relevant to this case.
你只能陈述与本案相关的证词
Do you understand?
你明白吗
Yep.
明白
Thanks for texting, Gretchen. What happened?
多谢你发短信来,格莱琛,怎么了
While I was repairing the abdominal wall,
在我修补腹壁时
a blood clot formed in the left ventricle.
左心室形成了一个血栓
I thought this was supposed to be routine surgery.
我以为这只是个常规手术
We thought he was out of the woods a few days ago, too.
我们也以为他几天前就脱离险境了
There's no such thing as "routine"
不过当你从腹部中枪恢复时
when you're recovering from a gunshot to the abdomen.
就没有什么事是"常规"的了
What happened with the clot?
血栓怎么样了
It got wedged in his right subclavian artery.
它塞住了他的右锁骨下动脉
Obstructed the blood flow to his arm for about 30 minutes.
阻碍血液流入他的胳膊长达半小时
So what's the prognosis?
预测结果如何
He might be fine.
他也许会没事
Or...?
或者
Or he may never regain full use of the limb.
或者他可能再也无法拥有健全的手臂了
He's in recovery.
他正在恢复
Tell me again...
再跟我说一遍
why they wait until five days
为什么他们在他中枪之后
after he got shot to perform the operation.
等了五天才给他动手术
They leave abdominal wounds open for a while.
他们让腹部的伤口开放一段时间
It helps reduce infection.
可以帮助减少感染
It's absolutely standard procedure.
这是绝对标准的程序
The timeline has nothing to do with the clot.
手术时间和血栓没有关系
He was still unconscious when I left.
我离开时他依然是不省人事的
They'll know more once he wakes up.
当他醒来后他们就会知道更多了
I'm gonna go back to the hospital.
我要回医院了
You should come when this is over.
当这事结束的时候你也应该来
You haven't visited Bell once since he was shot.
自从贝尔中枪后你还没有探望过他
You asked me to grab you when we're headed back in.
你让我在重新开庭的时候告诉你
Thank you for the news. Hey.
谢谢,听着
Wide open doors? Puppies?
打开的门,小狗
I'm just saying what I need to say to get us back to work.
我说这些是为了让我们能继续回去工作
Well, it's not just what you say. It's how you say it.
不仅是你说了什么,还有你怎样去说
You can hate what's going on in there.
你可以厌恶那里发生的事
You can think it's beneath you.
你可以觉得不屑一顾
But if the judge knows that you think that,
但如果法官知道你那么想的话
how is that good for you?
对你有什么好处呢
Be nice.
友善点
It's the smart play.
你需要智取以及什么不是我们能改变的事
Did you put this on my desk?
是你把这个放在我桌子上的吗
"At the head of all understanding is realizing
"理解的前提是意识到
what is and what cannot be
什么是以及什么不是
and the consoling of what is not in our power to change"
我们能改变的事"
It's a lovely sentiment.
很可爱的观点
First expressed by the 11th century poet Solomon Ben Judah.
出自十一世纪诗人所罗门·本·犹大
But you know that 'cause you've got a photograph
不过你也知道因为在你的日程表上
of Ben Judah's bust on your day planner.
有本·犹大半身雕像的照片
So?
那又怎样
The saying is thought to be an early derivation
这段话被认为是静思祷告的
of the Serenity Prayer,
早期起源
which is commonly recited by...
被治疗期中的酗酒者和瘾君子
recovering alcoholics and drug addicts.
广泛背诵
Is that why you keep the photograph?
你是因为这个原因留着那张照片吗
As a gentle reminder of the prayer?
作为做祷告的提醒
Is this some kind of threat?
你这是在威胁我吗
No.
不
No, there's nothing on earth that would make me reveal
不是,这世界上没有什么会让我
a secret of that nature.
泄漏那种秘密
It's... it's just a-a... tip of the cap,
这只是... 一种致意
you know?
明白吗
From one obsessive to another.
同道中人之间的致意
Just an acknowledgment that the world we live in
只是对我们所居住的世界
is so often too complicated for the rules we make
经常因为各种制度和限制
to keep it orderly.
而变得复杂的一种认同
Ms. Walker, ready when you are.
沃克女士,你准备好就可以开始了
You heard about Marcus Bell's complications, I take it.
我猜你听说了马库斯·贝尔的并发症
Yes, of course.
是的
I'm told they may have long-term implications for his career.
据说这会对他的职业生涯有长期影响
In that light, I was wondering if you feel any regret
从这个角度看的话,我想知道你
about your methods in this case.
有没有后悔你在此案中用的方法
This is a courtroom, Ms. Walker, not a confessional.
这是法庭,沃克女士,不是忏悔室
Fair enough.
好吧
Let's turn back to the Rada Hollingsworth investigation.
让我们回到蕾达·霍林沃斯的调查
Yes, well, Captain Gregson did not agree with my assessment
好,格雷森警监当时没有同意我关于
that Silas Cole was innocent of her murder,
她的被杀和塞拉斯·科尔无关的观点
so Ms. Watson and I explored other avenues on our own.
所以华生女士和我就另辟蹊径了
Ex-lovers, colleagues, a...
以前的情人们,同事们
neighbor with designs on Rada's apartment.
设计过蕾达住所的一个邻居
All of those, dead ends.
所有这些,一无所获
But in the course of exploring Rada's life,
但在调查蕾达生活的过程中
we learned that she was seeing an oncologist
我们发现她在看一位叫菲尼斯·霍布斯的
named Dr. Phineas Hobbs.
肿瘤学家
When had Ms. Hollingsworth been diagnosed with cancer?
霍林沃斯女士是何时被诊断出癌症的
Seven months prior to her murder.
在她被谋杀前七个月
Dr. Hobbs was administering a stage one drug trial
霍布斯医生当时管理着蕾达的
which Rada was enrolled in. I'm sorry. Rada didn't
第一阶段药物试验,抱歉
say anything to me about where she planned to go
蕾达离开我办公室时
when she left my office.
没说过她的去向
We tended to talk mostly about her diagnosis.
我们主要都是在谈论她的治疗
I'm sure you understand.
我相信你可以理解
She was really responding to the medication.
她对药物的反应很好
It was beautiful to watch.
很开心看到这些
I thought she might even go into remission.
我觉得她甚至进入了缓解期
But, uh, I guess her ex-boyfriend had other ideas.
但我猜她的前男友有不同的观点
Rada told you about her relationship with Silas?
蕾达告诉过你她和塞拉斯的关系
Yes, she mentioned that her
是的,她提过她前男友
former boyfriend was schizophrenic.
是精神分裂症患者
She'd, uh, ask me for advice about it sometimes.
她有时会寻求我的建议
I really had no idea
我一直不知道
how sick the man was until he showed up here about...
那人病得有多严重直到他在
about a week and a half before she died.
她死前一周半出现在这里
He was ranting.
他在大吵大嚷
I thought about pursuing a committal.
我考虑过通知医院来收监
I should have. Obviously.
显然我应该这么做
Drug trials like yours are expensive, are they not?
你的这种药物实验很昂贵,对吧
They're rarely covered by insurance.
保险只会付很小一部分
Rada Hollingsworth was a teacher.
蕾达·霍林沃斯是名教师
Have you any sense as to how she paid for the study?
你知道她是怎么支付这项研究的吗
I know exactly how she paid for it.
我当然知道她是如何支付的
She cashed in her life insurance for a viatical settlement.
她通过她人寿保险的离世前结算来付现
A viatical settlement is a repugnant, predatory arrangement
离世前结算是指患不治之症者
whereby a terminally ill patient
向第三方以低于到期收益价出售
signs away their future life insurance payment
人寿保险单以便
in exchange for a monthly cash advance.
活着时享用的安排
The company or individual making
支付那些费用的公司或个人
those payments is essentially betting that their client
本质上是打赌他们的客户
will die before the payments surpass the value of the policy.
会在支付的数额超过保险价值之前就死去
In Ms. Hollingsworth's case, the vulture circling overhead
在霍林沃斯女士的案子里,守株待兔的
was an employee of a company called Helping Hands Viaticals.
是一家叫离世帮手公司的雇员
That man's name was James Dylan.
那人的名字是詹姆斯·迪兰
The equation seems simple enough.
方程看起来很简单
The longer she lived, the less profit for you.
她活得越久,你得到的利益越少
In fact, according to the terms of employment of this place,
事实上,按照这地方的雇佣条例
if she outlives the value of her life insurance policy,
如果她活得比人寿保险规定的久
the money comes out of your pocket. So it seems like...
你就要自己掏腰包了,所以看起来
you would have incentive to want her gone.
你有让她去世的动机
Yeah, well, that doesn't mean I killed her.
是的,但不意味着我杀了她
So where were you the night she died? Look,
她死的那晚上你在哪,听着
if you want to talk about this, we can go somewhere else.
如果你们想聊这事的话,我们可以到别处
And if you're gonna grill me, I want a lawyer there.
而且你们要盘问我的话,我需要律师在场
Right now, we got new leads in from a nursing home,
现在,我们有疗养院的新单子
and I got to hit the phones.
我要电话跟进
This place is a miserable warren of cynicism and despair.
这地方是愤世嫉俗和绝望的悲惨场所
You'd think they'd have a hard time
你会觉得他们的雇员
holding on to their employees.
过得很惨
And yet the cubicles are full.
但办公室却都是满的
Some of your colleagues even have diplomas on display.
你的一些同事甚至挂着文凭
So it seems in this economy, your employers have no trouble
所以看起来在如今的经济形式下
in attracting the overqualified.
你的雇主不难吸引高学历的员工
Yeah. So? So...
所以呢,所以
I was wondering if they know that you're a convicted felon
我在想他们是否知道你曾因重罪
who's spent time in prison.
蹲过监狱
Who told you that? Seems like
谁告诉你的,看起来
a fair question.
是个合理的问题
How did you learn about Mr. Dylan's criminal record?
你是如何知道迪兰先生的犯罪记录的
When I learned that James Dylan had sold Rada Hollingsworth
当我得知詹姆斯·迪兰卖给蕾达·霍林沃斯
her viatical, I did some cursory research into his background,
离世保险时,我做了一些粗略的背景调查
research his employers had apparently neglected to do.
他的雇主们显然忽略了这一步
That's the beauty of the Internet.
这就是网络的妙处
24/7 access to everything from twerking kittens
二十四小时不间断地接触到
to criminal records.
从跳电臀舞的小猫到犯罪记录的内容
Mr. Dylan stated in a deposition given from his hospital bed
迪兰先生在医院的病床上宣誓作证时
that you discovered that information from his phone.
指出你是从他手机上发现这些信息的
Which you accessed without a warrant.
是在未经许可的前提下
Would it surprise you to learn that James Dylan is lying?
当你知道詹姆斯·迪兰是在撒谎会吃惊吗
Not necessarily.
那倒不一定
But you do tend to attract people who lie about
但你确实喜欢引诱他人
your illegal behavior.
为你的不法行为撒谎
Who told you that?
谁告诉你的
Why, you did. That's my phone!
你说的,那是我的电话
According to your outgoing calls, you regularly contact
你的拨出号码历史显示,你经常
the same local number several times a week.
一周几次地联系一个本地号码
It has a 477 prefix.
前缀是477
That's the same as our precinct.
和我们分局的一样
It's a municipal number.
是政府部门的号码
You stole this. Your calendar says you have
你偷了我的手机,你的日历显示
a recurring commitment every Tuesday.
你每周二都有一个反复出现的会面
Now, there's no heading on that appointment,
这些预约都没有标题
so my first thought was weekly Brazilian, but then I noticed
所以我首先想到的是巴西人每周的聚会
the address of the Tuesday rendezvous. It's 202 Broadway,
但后来我注意到约会的地址是百老汇202号
which, as it turns out, is the office
结果,那是纽约州
of the New York State Division of Parole. Okay.
假释办公室的地址,够了
Let's take this outside.
让我们到外面去说
On the night that Rada Hollingsworth was murdered,
在蕾达·霍林沃斯被谋杀的那个晚上
I was having a drink
我正在甘斯沃尔特街的
at Sharkey's on Gansevoort Street.
沙基酒吧喝东西
And your presence in a bar is a violation of your parole.
你在假释期里不能去酒吧
Yeah, I got sent upstate after a bar fight.
是,在酒吧发生了点争执
I got out of control and I broke this guy's legs.
我失控了,打伤了那家伙的腿
So on the particular night that you're asking about, okay...
所以,你想知道那晚怎么了
I had had a lousy day at work. I mean, whatever,
那天我工作很不顺利
they're all lousy, actually, but on this particular day,
事实上每天都是
I just felt like having a couple of drinks with a friend.
但在那天,我想去和朋友们喝酒
Okay, there's at least a dozen people who can vouch.
在场的那些人都可以作证
I was nowhere near Rada Hollingsworth.
我根本没和蕾达·霍林沃斯一起
We're gonna need names and numbers. Okay, fine.
我们需要你提供姓名和电话,没问题
But please, don't tell my parole officer.
但是请别让我的假释官知道
James Dylan's associates confirmed
詹姆斯·迪兰的同事证实了
that he had indeed been drinking
蕾达·霍林沃斯被害当晚
at the time Rada Hollingsworth was killed,
他的确是在喝酒
so he was no longer a suspect.
所以他被排除嫌疑
You are aware, of course,
你很清楚
that it's a crime to steal private property?
这是一起盗窃私人财产的案件
I stole no property.
我没偷东西
Nor did I call James Dylan's parole officer.
我也没给詹姆斯·迪兰的假释官打电话
So,
那么
our investigation was back to square one.
我们的调查回到原点
Usually, this means a distraction
通常情况下这意味着
of some sort is called for.
需要些东西分散注意力
Interesting.
有意思
Hey, you never came down to eat.
你没有下楼吃东西
I had extra.
还剩了些
What gives?
怎么了
Science-- the most potent distraction of all.
科学,是转移精力的最有效方法
Hey, I've been looking for that.
我一直在找这个
Um, and what are you trying to distract yourself from?
什么事让你想分散注意力呢
Silas Cole said he was summoned
詹姆斯·迪兰说他被召唤去
to Rada Hollingsworth's apartment,
蕾达·霍林沃斯的公寓
which makes me think that the actual killer did the summoning.
我觉得是真正的凶手叫他去的
Indeed, Silas received a phone call
事实是,詹姆斯·迪兰
from a disposable cell phone
晚上八点四十接到了一通电话
8:40 P.M.
来自一次性电话
8:40. That's not track.
八点四十,不足为奇
Rada's neighbor thought
蕾达的邻居在七点三十五
she heard a truck backfiring at 7:35.
以为她听到了车爆胎的声音
That had to be the shotgun blast
那肯定是凶手杀她时
that killed her, so, why would you
开枪的声音,为什么
kill Rada at 7:35, then wait over an hour
他会在七点三十五杀死蕾达
before calling Silas to the scene?
又等了一个小时才叫塞拉斯去现场呢
Why, indeed.
确实
I've been considering Rada's autopsy.
我一直在看蕾达的尸检
Her blood potassium levels were 22.4.
她血液中钾含量22.4
That's quite high, isn't it?
相当高,对吧
Not for a body a few hours postmortem.
对于死后几小时来说不是
After you die, your cells start leaking potassium
人死后细胞开始向血液
into the bloodstream.
释放钾
So, the longer you've been dead,
所以你死得越久
the higher your potassium level.
钾含量越高
Of course, if you killed Rada,
当然,如果你杀了蕾达
then waited an hour before calling Silas,
还等一个小时后才打电话
it could be because you wanted the potassium
除非是你想让她血液里的钾含量
in her blood to build up.
越来越高
Mm. And what would be the purpose of that?
但这样做是为什么
I don't know.
我不知道
To conceal an already elevated potassium level?
为了隐藏已经增加的钾含量吗
Potassium chloride is an extremely effective way
氯化钾是一种很高效的
of killing someone.
杀人手段
It does the heavy lifting at most of your state-sanctioned
它是所有致命注射剂中
lethal injections.
见效最快的
It sounds crazy, but it would explain the time gap.
听起来很疯狂,却能解释一小时的时间差
And it would be easy enough for us to figure out
而且很容易检验我们是否正确
if we're right. We just test the vitreous fluid in her eyes.
我们刚刚检查了她眼内的玻璃体液
It's not subject to the postmortem
那不受她死后钾含量
potassium build-up.
升高的影响
Of course, it wasn't crazy at all.
这一点都不疯狂
The tests confirmed what Watson and I had suspected.
这个检验证实了我和华生的猜想
Rada Hollingsworth was killed
过量的氯化钾
with an overdose of potassium chloride.
导致了蕾达·霍林沃斯的死亡
This discovery exonerated Silas Cole,
这个发现
who we had confirmed
证实之前合法逮捕的
was legitimately
塞勒斯·科尔
delusional.
是无罪的
The murder was clearly the result of careful planning,
凶手有一套精密的计划
and he was in no fit state to carry out such methodical work.
但他却没能实施这套有序的计划
You're smiling.
你笑了
That is the first time
这是我们开庭以来
you have been anything but irritated since we started.
你第一次表现不耐烦以外的情绪
Well, an innocent man was freed.
无辜者得到释放
And what, in your opinion, does this have to do
在你看来,这件事
with what happened to Detective Bell?
和贝尔警监的事有关吗
Whether one believes
不论是否有人相信
that I have occasionally broken the rules or not,
我偶尔违反规定
you cannot evaluate the work that Watson and I do
请你不要忽视,正是因为我违反规定
without considering the good that so often comes of it.
我和华生的工作才能有进展
Whatever happened later, it matters
不管最后发生了什么
that a mentally ill citizen is not unjustly imprisoned
重要的是现在一位有精神疾病的公民
at the moment.
没有含冤入狱
It has to matter... to all of us.
这对我们所有人都重要
Or we might as well just
要么我们直接解散机构
dissolve this institution and start again.
重新组员
This is just one instance.
这只是一个例子
There are many, many others.
还有许多许多个
All of which, by the way,
所有这些
my partner and I donate free of charge
我的搭档和我都无偿
to the city of New York, so...
为纽约市工作
I hardly think this proceeding is
我不认为这场诉讼
the appropriate response to our work.
是对我们工作成果的回报
And what is the appropriate response?
那你觉得什么才是
"Thank you" would be nice.
说句谢谢挺好的
I'll make sure Marcus Bell gets that message.
我会转告马库斯·贝尔这句话的
Well, Bell's stable.
贝尔的情况稳定了
They've decided to keep him sedated overnight.
他们觉得晚上给他用镇静剂
Less stress on his system.
让他的身体系统轻松一些
And you're making Yorkshire pudding.
而你在做约克郡布丁
Well spotted, Watson.
观察力不错,华生
Most Americans mistake them for muffins.
大部分美国人都分不清它和松饼
When I was younger, our governess would enlist my help
我小的时候,我们的女家教会让我
in making Yorkshire pudding for Sunday lunch,
帮忙做周日午餐的约克郡布丁
and ever since then, I've found making them
从那时起,我就发现做布丁
to have a calming effect.
有一种镇静的作用
Yeah, Gregson told me about the hearing. What...?
格雷森跟我说了听证会的事,怎么...
I enjoy making Yorkshire Pudding, Watson.
我喜欢做约克郡布丁,华生
Not eating it. It is absolutely revolting.
不吃它们,实在是太难吃了
I could dig you one out if you'd like to try it.
你要是想尝尝我可以给你拿出来一个
I'm good, thanks for asking...
我不要,谢谢你能问我...
after you threw them away.
在你把它们扔掉之后
Oh, you're upset with me.
你对我很生气
You know, for a genius, you can be a real Nimrod.
对一个天才来说,你太不会撒谎了
You know that I have to testify tomorrow, right?
你知道我明天要去作证,对吧
Which means I get to lie under oath
也就是说我得在宣誓后
about puppies and-and wide open doors and...
撒关于小狗和开着的大门之类的谎
Shouldn't be a problem. If we stick to our story,
应该不成问题,如果我们坚持我们的说法
there's nothing they can do.
他们就无计可施
Well, if you bothered to come up with a better story,
如果你能想出一个更好的故事
it wouldn't be so obvious that we were lying.
我们就不用撒这么明显的谎了
You're practically daring them to fire us.
你就是在挑衅,让他们解雇我们
You think I'm letting my ego pay too big a role in this affair?
你觉得在这件事中我太自负了吗
This is not about your ego.
这跟你的自负无关
I know that we color outside the lines a lot,
我知道我们经常越界
but this time, Bell got shot.
但这次,贝尔中枪了
Doesn't that give you pause about how we do our jobs?
这不会让你停下来想想我们的工作方式吗
No. Why not?
不会,为什么呢
Why do we get to be above the rules?
为什么我们能凌驾于法律之上
Because our methods work,
因为我们的方法行得通
and I'm comfortable that our actions are guided
而且我很高兴我们的行动是以道德
by a morality which supersedes any clumsy employee manual.
而不是愚蠢的员工守则作为指导的
The danger with rulebooks, Watson,
规则的危险,华生
is that they offer the illusion
在于它们让人幻想
that leading a moral life is a simple undertaking,
引导道德的生活是一项简单的事业
that the world exists in black and white.
世界非黑即白
Welcome to the grays.
欢迎来到灰色地带
Miss Watson,
华生小姐
you and your partner have often found yourselves
你和你的搭档经常在警察前面
inside of crime scenes
到达犯罪现场
and other places of interest ahead of the police,
和其他一些可疑地点
ahead of any kind of warrant.
没有任何搜查令
Would you say that's a fair assessment?
你觉得这是公正的评价吗
I'd say it's happened on occasion.
我会说这偶尔会发生
How?
如何发生
We've encountered an unusual number of open doors.
我们遇到过很多大门敞开的情况
Open doors.
大门敞开
I see.
我懂了
Did you ever break into a place to help out a puppy?
你是否曾经闯过空屋去帮助一只小狗
Once. Although we didn't realize
只有一次,但我们进去后
it was a puppy until after we were inside.
才发现那是一只小狗
And how did you and your partner
你和你的搭档
learn about Mr. Dylan's criminal record?
是如何发现迪兰先生的犯罪记录呢
We looked into his background
在等着和他谈话的时候
while we were waiting to talk to him.
我们调查了他的背景
Neither of you stole Mr. Dylan's cell phone?
你们两个都没有偷过迪兰先生的手机
No.
没有
So, you are committed to the same version of events
所以,对这些事你坚持和你搭档
as your partner?
一样的说法
No further questions.
没有问题了
Actually, I'd like to ask a few questions.
事实上,我想问几个问题
You want to cross-examine your own partner?
你要盘问你的同伴吗
I am within my rights, Your Honor.
我只是在行使我的权利,法官大人
I'm acting as my own counsel.
我在做自己的辩护律师
Yeah.
好吧
I'll be as brief as I can, Your Honor.
我会尽可能简单的,法官大人
After you and your partner...
在你和你的搭档
Uh, should I refer to myself as "Your partner,"
这里我该用'你的搭档'指代自己
or should I refer to myself in the first person?
还是直接用第一人称比较好
Doesn't matter.
都可以
Great.
好吧
After you and your partner freed Silas Cole,
在你和你的同伴释放了塞拉斯·科尔后
how did you go about finding the real killer?
你们是怎么找到真凶的
Rada Hollingsworth died of a potassium overdose.
蕾达·霍林沃斯死于钾摄入过量
Potassium chloride is something that you can get online,
氯化钾在网上就能购买到
but to use it in the way that the killer did,
但像凶手那种使用手法
you had to understand the biochemistry of dying tissue.
你必须了解濒死组织的生化机制
That's why the killer waited over an hour
这就是凶手等了一个多小时
before calling Silas Cole.
才给塞拉斯·科尔打电话的原因
All of that suggested we were looking for someone
这些都表明了我们找寻的凶手
with a medical background.
必须有医学背景
Hmm. Rada Hollingsworth-- she was a cancer patient.
蕾达·霍林沃斯,她是个癌症患者
She was attended by a virtual platoon of medical professionals.
她接触到的医学专家估计得有一个排
So, are you saying that they were all suspects?
那么你是指他们都有嫌疑
I'm saying that, when we started looking,
我的意思是,在我们一开始调查的时候
none of them were.
他们都没有嫌疑
We didn't have a motive,
我们没发现动机
so we went to the morgue.
所以我们就去了停尸间
You examined Rada Hollingsworth's body
为了给调查找线索
in an effort to find an investigative bread crumb.
你检查了蕾达·霍林沃斯的尸体
Yes.
是的
But I should say,
但我得说
"body" isn't really a 100% accurate way of putting it.
"尸体"并不是百分百准确的表述
The remains of Rada Hollingsworth's internal organs.
蕾达·霍林沃斯的内脏遗骸
Shredded by buckshot.
被铅弹撕碎
Then dissected by the M.E.
被法医解剖
Then divvied up, organ by organ, into their own bags.
然后一个个器官地被分开放入袋中
Hmm. This is gonna get messy.
场面会不太好看了啊
Shall we unpack?
该拆包了吧
Do you really want me to describe everything in the bags?
你真的要我一一描述袋里的东西
Well, why don't you just skip to the good bit?
好吧,你还是直接跳到精彩的部分吧
Nothing unusual with the liver.
肝脏没问题
Her heart-- pretty much just a bunch of muscle fiber.
她的心脏,基本上就是一堆肌肉纤维了
The killer must have put the shotgun barrel right over it.
凶手的散弹枪管肯定直指这里
Now, do we think that this was by chance,
那么,这些都是巧合
or was the obliteration of the heart intentional?
还是故意要消除心脏里的某些痕迹呢
It seems like overkill, literally.
表面上看着像过度杀戮
I mean, she was already dead from the potassium.
我是说,她早就因为钾摄入过量死亡
You'd only destroy the heart
只有因为你想要隐藏某些东西
if you were looking to conceal something about it.
你才会这么销毁心脏
Hmm. And how would we determine
那我们又怎么判断
whether the tissue was healthy when she died?
死前她的心脏是否健康呢
Well, that's what microscopes are for.
这就是显微镜的用途
Hand me that box of slides.
把那盒玻片递给我
Rada's cardiac tissue showed clear signs
蕾达的心肌组织明显显示出
of dilated cardiomyopathy.
扩张型心肌病的特征
Her heart was enlarged.
她的心脏开始膨胀
She would have started to feel symptoms
她应该开始感觉到
of congestive heart failure.
充血性心力衰竭的症状
Could her enlarged heart have been a result of her cancer?
她膨胀的心脏有可能是因为癌症导致的吗
Not directly.
没有直接关系
And everything in her records looked normal
而且她几月前的记录
from a few months previous.
一直都很正常
What, then, do you think caused the change?
那么,你觉得是什么导致了这个
Well, it's not unusual for it
如果是一些
to be a side effect
化疗药物的副作用
of certain chemotherapy drugs,
就一点都不奇怪了
especially more aggressive treatments.
特别是一些用于比较激进的疗法中的药物
Treatments such as the ones
像是由菲尼斯·霍布斯医生主导的
Rada was receiving on the drug trial
蕾达也正在接受的疗法中
run by Dr. Phineas Hobbs?
用到的那种试验性药物吗
The drug was in stage one trials.
这种药物还在第一试验阶段中
Typically, an experimental drug
通常情况下,这种试验性药物
becomes hugely profitable once it gets to stage two.
到了第二阶段,它的利润就会非常可观
We're talking millions of dollars
只要有人知道了蕾达的情况
that wouldn't have made it into Dr. Hobbs' pockets
数百万美元就进不了
if anyone learned about Rada's condition.
霍布斯医生的口袋中
So, in other words, there,
所以,换言之
buried within that bag of posthumous slop, you found...
在那些遗体的内脏中,你发现了...
A motive.
动机
I'm sorry. You told me you had a few follow-up questions.
不好意思,你跟我说要问些后续问题
It sounds like I'm a suspect.
但现在看上去我是嫌疑犯了
You most assuredly are.
的确如此
Well, then, uh, I'm getting a lawyer.
好吧,我要找个律师
Aah! What the hell are you doing?
你干嘛
Hurts quite a bit, doesn't it?
很痛,是吧
I bet you've got a nasty bruise under there.
我猜那下面有块惨不忍睹的淤青
That's the thing about shotguns.
这就是和散弹枪的坏处
If you don't know how to brace them properly,
如果你不知道正确的使用方法
the kickback will get you every time.
后坐力会让你每次都受伤
I hurt myself playing squash.
我是玩壁球的时候受伤的
Once you dispatched Rada,
在搞定了蕾达之后
it was time to put your patsy in play.
就是你的替罪羊登场的时候
Well aware of Silas's delusions,
你非常清楚塞拉斯的妄想症
you telephoned him to come to the crime scene.
所以你打电话给他,让他去犯罪现场
We think you convinced him he killed Rada.
我们认为你骗他,让他相信他杀了蕾达
Then you gave him the gun,
然后你把枪给了他
shoved some shotgun shells in his pocket,
塞了点散弹枪壳到他口袋中
and then sent him on his way.
然后让他上路
I'm sure you thought he'd get gunned down.
我猜你以为他一定会被一枪射杀
Either way, you were covered.
不管怎么样,你都安全了
Or at least you thought you were.
至少你是这么以为的
But the shotgun didn't just kick back into your shoulder.
但散弹枪的后坐力不仅伤到了你的肩膀
The trigger caught your finger, as well.
扳机还伤到了你的手指
Opened up a nasty little cut, didn't it?
在你手上开了条小口,不是吗
It's not the kind of thing you'd notice
对第一次犯案的人来说
in the heat of committing your very first murder.
这种小事通常都注意不到
But it drew enough blood that some of it wound up
但你放到塞拉斯口袋里的
in the grooves on the strike plates
子弹壳碎片上的槽沟里
of those shells you put in Silas's pocket.
却留下了足够多的血迹
You wiped the shells clean of prints.
你擦干净了弹壳上的指纹
You're a smart guy.
这点很聪明
But those little grooves-- they're hard to get to.
但那些小槽沟,却很难清理干净
We know the blood didn't come from Silas or Rada.
我们都知道那不是塞拉斯或者蕾达的血迹
This is a warrant to compel a DNA test from you.
这是给你的DNA强制测试许可证
We can run the tests, wait for the results, or
我们可以做测试,等结果出来
you can just start talking now.
或者,你可以开始老实交代了
Dr. Hobbs confessed.
霍布斯医生认罪了
He's losing his medical license,
他丢掉了他的行医执照
and he's going to jail for a very long time.
还要把牢底坐穿
Thank you, Doctor... Thank you, Miss Watson.
谢谢,医... 谢谢,华生小姐
A very great pleasure indeed.
深感荣幸
Redirect?
到我了
Then what happened?
然后发生了什么
You mean with Dr. Hobbs?
你是说霍布斯医生
No. I've seen enough of your mutual
不是,我今天已经看够
admiration society for one day.
你们互相吹捧的把戏了
I'm talking about the reason we are actually here.
我说的是我们开这个会的原因
The day you got Phineas Hobbs to confess to murder.
你们让菲尼斯·霍布斯认罪那一天
What happened when you were leaving work?
你们结束工作后发生什么事了
We were just heading out of the station.
我们正走出警局
I'm not learning fencing from you, Holmes.
我不会向你学击剑的,福尔摩斯
Please stop asking me. It's not fencing.
别一直问我,这不是击剑
It is singlestick.
这是剑形木棍
Well, whatever it is,
好吧,随便它是什么
I'm sure it's fascinating, but I'm not interested.
我猜会有趣,但我真的不感兴趣
At all. Now, if you want to talk about real sports,
一点都不,但要说到真正的运动
like basketball...
像篮球什么的
You couldn't keep your voice down, huh?
你真是管不住你的嘴啊
Mr. Dylan,
迪兰先生
it's business hours. Shouldn't you be...
现在是上班时间,你不是应该...
trolling a cancer ward looking for prospective clients?
在癌症病房里巡视你的潜在客户吗
No, 'cause I don't have that job anymore.
没有,因为我已经没有工作了
'Cause somebody overheard you at work.
因为在上班时有人听到你的话了
They heard you say that I've been in jail.
他们听到你说我蹲过监狱
They told my boss, and he fired me.
告诉了我老板,他就炒了我
Well, that would matter less if you could actually sell...
本来没什么大碍的,要不是你确实...
What's the opposite of ice to Eskimos?
给爱斯基摩人卖冰的反面是什么
Give the man a break. He just lost his job.
别再说了,他刚丢了工作
Well, perhaps this is an opportunity for you
也许这是给你机会
to do something a little less soul-sucking.
换个不那么丧尽天良的工作
No, I won't be doing anything because my boss
我什么工作都做不了了,因为我老板
called my P.O. and he violated me.
通知了我的假释官,而他举报了我
I'm going back to prison.
我要回监狱了
That's a regrettable outcome.
真是让人遗憾
Regrettable?
让人遗憾
You ruined my life, man.
你毁了我的人生
You don't get to just walk away.
我不能让你这么自在逍遥
Gun!
有枪
We got two men down: one officer
有两人中枪,一名警员
and one suspect.
和一名嫌犯
We need an EMT here ASAP.
赶快派一队医护人员过来
No further questions.
我的问题问完了
Well, thank goodness that's over.
谢天谢地终于结束了
Do you have any sense on how the judge is leaning?
你觉得法官会偏向哪边呢
Guess we'll find out in the morning.
只有明早才能知道了
Yeah.
是啊
I'm gonna head over to see Bell right now.
我现在打算去看贝尔
All right, I'll see you later at the Brownstone.
好吧,等会回褐石屋见
How's it going?
你怎么样
All right.
还行
I bumped into the nurse on the way in.
进来的时候我遇见了护士
She said that you have some movement back in your arm.
她说你手臂恢复了点知觉
Yeah, that might be a bit of an understatement.
对,而且不只是一点知觉
They said I, uh...
他们说我
might get better.
也许能恢复得更好
In time, physical therapy can do wonders with nerve damage.
坚持理疗对神经损伤能有显着疗效
I've seen it.
我见过这样的例子
The, uh...
那个
the department...
局里面
requires detectives to carry a gun,
要求警探佩枪
so...
所以
what happens if I can't anymore?
要是我不能持枪了怎么办
What are his chances of making a full recovery?
他完全康复的几率有多大
Well, he's young and healthy, which is good,
他还年轻且身体健康,这是好事
but there's no way to tell how much function he'll regain.
但无法知道他能恢复多少手部功能
Practicing left-handed is one way
练习使用左手能表现出
to show you care about what happened.
你在乎这件事
A better one would be to visit him.
但更好的做法是去看看他
I'm well aware of your feelings on the matter,
你在逻辑上绕圈子
even if your logic eludes me.
但我很清楚你对这事的态度
This is not about logic. It's the right thing to do.
这不是逻辑的问题,是应该做的事
It would be an empty gesture.
那没有任何实际意义
Unlike you, I have no medical insight to offer him.
不像你,我不能提供给他医学上的见解
And I can't imagine my presence would be anything
我的出现除了妨碍他的隐私以外
more than an invasion of his privacy.
别无其他作用
I don't care if you lie in court, but do not lie to me.
你在庭上撒谎就算了,但不要骗我
This is not about Bell's privacy.
这跟贝尔的隐私无关
This is about your guilt.
是因为你的内疚
Look, you're not directly responsible for what happened--
听着,这事不是你的责任
that is on James Dylan.
只能怪詹姆斯·迪兰
But this time, your fondness for blowing past
可这一次,你无视官僚权级的一贯作风
"bureaucratic guidepost" got a man you respect shot.
害一个你尊敬的人中枪
If I went, what would I say?
就算我去了,我能说什么呢
I've got nothing to offer the man other than a few banal bromides.
除了那些陈词滥调,我什么都说不了
What makes you think that's not enough?
为什么你觉得那些不够呢
This hearing has left me
听证会让我坚信
no doubt that Sherlock Holmes is a singular mind,
夏洛克·福尔摩斯是个天赋异禀的人
and the work that he's done with Joan Watson has been
他和乔恩·华生的工作一直让纽约警局
an asset to the NYPD.
大受裨益
Now, that an officer was wounded during the course of that work
可现在有一名警员在这个过程中受伤
is a highly regrettable outcome
这是十分让人遗憾的事
but one that occurs in law enforcement.
但在执法部门也时有发生
Another regrettable outcome in law enforcement
执法部门的另一件憾事
is when officers decide that they are
就是警员觉得自己临驾于
above the rules.
司法制度之上
So in spite of Mr. Holmes'
所以尽管福尔摩斯先生
good intentions, he's demonstrated amply
意图良好,却充分展现出
that he doesn't care to control his actions.
他觉得毫无必要控制自身行为
As such, my recommendation to the commissioner
基于这些,我给局长的建议是
will be that Mr. Holmes and Ms. Watson be terminated
终止福尔摩斯先生和华生女士
as consultants to the NYPD.
与纽约警局的顾问关系
You needn't gloat.
不必幸灾乐祸
It's unbecoming of the good work that you did.
这跟你打赢的胜仗很不相称
I'm not here to spike the ball.
我不是要炫耀
I'm going to a meeting.
我要去参加互助会
Seems like... maybe you should come with me.
也许你该和我一起去
Boy, the Giants sure do suck this year.
老天,今年巨人队(纽约橄榄球队)太弱了
Commissioner.
局长
I'm not watching the Giants.
我没看巨人队的比赛
I know. Just felt like it needed to be said.
我知道,只是觉得要一吐为快
I wanted to make sure they're taking good care of you here.
我想确保医院的人有好好照顾你
The hearing ended today. The judge recommended
听证会今天结束了,法官建议
that I end our arrangement with Holmes and his partner.
我终止局里跟福尔摩斯和他搭档的合作
It's just a recommendation, though.
但这只是个建议
The decision's mine.
决定权还是在我
And I'll admit it...
不得不说
I'm struggling with it.
我很犹豫
Captain Gregson pointed out that...
格雷森警监告诉我
tossing Holmes opens the department up to charges
终止合作意味着所有福尔摩斯参与过的案子
of impropriety on every case Holmes worked on.
都会让局里被控办案过程不当
That's a lot of closed cases that could get opened up again.
可能就有很多结案要被推翻
Clearly, Holmes is a... loose cannon.
很显然,福尔摩斯一贯我行我素
But this time, a first grade detective
但这次,一位一级警探
got caught in his crossfire.
因为他而中枪
Facing danger from a guy on your own team...
要面临来自同伴的危险
can I really ask officers to do that?
我真的能要求我的警官这样做吗
Wait, are you...
等等,你是...
You're asking me what you should do?
你是在问我该怎么做吗
How could I not?
我怎么能不问呢
You've been working with the guy for a long time,
你跟这家伙共事了这么久
and... you're the one who caught a bullet.
而且中枪的也是你
I heard your hearing didn't go too well.
听说你的听证会不太顺利
Not well at all.
是非常不顺
But the commissioner decided not
法官建议终止与我合作
to accept the judge's recommendation to terminate me.
但局长没有接受
So I'm staying on as a consultant after all.
所以我还是留下继续做顾问
With a little, uh, additional oversight.
不过会对我多些监督
Congratulations.
恭喜你
Any idea what changed his mind?
知道局长为何改变主意吗
There's much I should say to you.
我有好多话该对你说
Thanks.
首先谢谢你
For intervening with James Dylan.
替我挡了詹姆斯·迪兰的子弹
You may very well have saved my life.
你可能因此救了我一命
And, uh, I apologize.
其次我向你道歉
I had James Dylan's name before we went to see him.
去找詹姆斯·迪兰之前我就知道他的名字
I should have done some proper research
我应该在擅自拿他手机前
before I helped myself to his phone.
对他做些调查
I should have been more discreet when I was attempting
在套他的话之前
to loosen his tongue.
我应该更小心谨慎
I could have provoked him less outside the police station.
在警局外面我也不该那么激怒他
I could've...
我本可以...
There's any number of ways that this could've turned out
要不是你,这事还不一定
other than the way it did.
会发展成什么样
I hate what happened to you.
对于你的遭遇我很抱歉
And whatever role I played in it.
我更讨厌这事是因我而起
That's why I've been avoiding this visit.
所以我才一直不来看你
So, the palsy in your hand...
对你手部麻痹的症状
I've done some research.
我做了些调查
The clinic with the highest rate of recovery is in Gstaad.
康复率最高的诊所位于格斯塔德(瑞士城市)
I've communicated with the director,
我跟那里的负责人联系过
and they would be happy to take you on straightaway.
他们很乐意立刻接受你入院就诊
But if you'd rather stay in New York,
但如果你想待在纽约
their top physician travels here frequently
他们最好的医师经常会来这边
and could consult with local specialists.
可以跟这里的专家一起会诊
All at no cost to you, obviously.
当然你自己不用花一分钱
Well, I'll just, uh...
那我就...
I'll just leave you with their card.
把他们的名片留给你
I feel good about the doctors here.
我觉得这里的医生挺好的
These people are at the top of their field...
这些人可是该领域的权威
Holmes, I don't want a favor from you.
福尔摩斯,我不想欠你人情
I'd rather not see you around here.
我宁愿你不要过来看我