"I can face blunt fact better than damnable incertitude.
“相信我 比起该死的谎言 我更能接受不太完美的事实”
"Give me the damn straight plain truth right now, damn you! "Tom."
“直接把该死的真相告诉我吧 别再逗我了! 汤姆”
"Talked of everywhere as a truly important book.
“人们到处在谈论这本书 都说这是一本意义非凡的杰作”
"All comparisons with greatest writers.
“他们还把你和其他一些伟大的作家相提并论”
"Even James Joyce."
“甚至包括詹姆斯·乔伊斯”
"Hell, Joyce wishes he was so good."
“乔伊斯倒希望自己有这么优秀呢”
"Had to rush out five editions of the book.
“我们又加印了五版”
"Thirty thousand copies.
“整整三万册”
"Never seen a book so talked about.
“从没见过一本书 能有如此高的关注度”
"They're calling you a genius again, God help you.
“人们又一次为你冠上天才的头衔”
"Come home soon. Max."
“赶快回家 麦克斯”
Mrs. Bernstein.
伯恩斯坦夫人
Mr. Perkins.
柏金斯先生
What can I do for you?
有什么能帮你的吗?
It's rather what can I do for you, Mr. Perkins.
这句话应该由我来问你 柏金斯先生
I couldn't help noticing Tom dedicated his new book to you.
我注意到 汤姆将他的新书献给了你
He dedicated his first book to me, you will recall.
如果你还记得的话 他的上一本书是献给我的
It was a lovely sentiment... but what he was actually saying was,"Thank you and goodbye."
也许你会说我多虑了 但他当时的原话其实是,“谢谢你 再见”
I had served my purpose.
我已经失去了用途
And now, you have served yours.
而现在 轮到你了
"Thank you and goodbye, Mr. Perkins."
“谢谢你 柏金斯先生 再见”
With respect, Mrs. Bernstein... you haven't the slightest notion of my relationship with Tom.
恕我直言 伯恩斯坦夫人 你对我和汤姆之间的关系 根本一点都不了解
And in view of that...He makes you do things... you never thought you'd do. He liberates you.
考虑到这一点... 他让你帮他做很多事 在此之前 你根本不知道自己有这样的能力 他释放你的潜能