Best sellers on Audio presents
有声读物畅销书系列之
Tales From Briarcliff by Lana Winters,
《荆棘崖往事》 作者拉娜·温特斯
read by the author.
由作者本人朗读
Chapter six,
第六章
"The Gathering Storm."
风雨来袭
Behind the stone walls of Briarcliff,
在荆棘崖那森森高墙之内
time had no meaning.
时间是妄无的存在
The days themselves seemed to exist
时光本身,像是穿行在
in a kind of perpetual twilight.
永不散去的暮光之中
Life there was just a series of numbing cruelties
那里的生活是由残暴和虐待
and humiliations,
调和成的苦剂
all masquerading as something else.
妄图粉饰太平的无谓挣扎
You weren't conceived in love, but in hate.
你并非由爱,却是因恨而生
I couldn't wait to give you up.
我恨不能早点把你抛弃
You're an abomination.
你是个孽种
You should never have been born.
你根本不应该降生
I was in the third week of my confinement,
在我入院的第三周
and a storm was coming.
一场风暴降临荆棘崖
The nor'easter of '64
64年的东北海岸的那场飓风
that brought so much devastation with it,
带来了摧枯拉朽般的破坏
and for me, something else,
而对我来说,另一场灾难
something far more savage even than nature.
一场比天灾还要残暴的灾难,即将发生
Oliver Thredson was,
奥利弗·史莱森
to all appearances,
在所有人看来
a kindly figure,
都是一个标准的好人
fatherly in his manner.
慈父般的存在
This face he showed the world,
他向世人展示的面孔
this face of sanity and benevolence,
那充满仁义道德的圣人形象
that was his real mask.
只是他的面具而已
Underneath lurked the real Oliver Thredson,
在面具背后隐匿着真正的奥利弗·史莱森
an unspeakable monster.
一个罪恶滔天的魔鬼
I loved you even when you were still in your mother's womb.
在你还没出世前,我就一直爱着你
I would have given anything to be a real father to you,
为了成为你的父亲,我愿意付出一切
but she kept us apart.
但她却将我们拆散
I had so much love to give you, son.
我有那么多爱来不及给你,儿子
She stole it from you.
都是她偷走了
From both of us.
她偷走了我们两个人的爱
Here comes the bride.
新娘驾到
Oh, my God.
我的天啊
The Catholic Church bought this place in '62,
天主教会在1962年买下这里
and turned it into a sanitarium for the criminally insane.
把它改成了一间收留精神病罪犯的疗养院
Legend has it that once you were committed at Briarcliff,
据说,一旦被收入荆棘崖
you never got out.
你绝无出路
The most famous resident was a serial killer named...
其中最有名的病人是连环杀人魔...
Bloody Face.
血脸杀手
Say "Bloody Face". Bloody Face.
说"血脸杀手" ,血脸杀手
What is that?
那是什么
Maybe it's Bloody Face.
或许是血脸杀手呢
Maybe it's just old pipes.
或许只是老管道
I can't see.
我什么也看不见
Let me see.
让我看看
What? You scared, pussy?
怎么,你怕了吗,胆小鬼
In Briarcliff...
在荆棘崖...
Oh, my God! What? What's wrong?
上帝啊,怎么了,怎么了
You're such a prick.
你这个烂鸟人
You are such a prick.
你这个烂鸟人
Speaking of which...
说到鸟...
No. I want to know what's in there.
不要,我想知道里面有什么
Do it again and I'll blow you.
再把手伸进去,我就给你口交
Give me your phone.
把你手机给我
And who did this drawing of you?
这是谁给你画的啊
Bono.
博诺
He was a bit tipsy on the airplane
他在从索马里回来的飞机上
coming back from Somalia
喝得有点高
and drew it on the cocktail napkin.
就在鸡尾酒餐巾上开画
He's quite good, isn't he?
还挺不错的,不是吗
Be sure and get an insert of that, Pete.
记得给这画来个特写,皮特
So with six bestsellers,
拥有六本畅销书
a reputation as the only one the men will open up to,
获得"男士最佳倾诉对象"的称号
world leaders, stars, disgraced politicians,
成为世界领袖,明星,以及昔日政要
who's the one that got away?
你还有什么遗憾吗
Is there anyone you lusted after that you missed?
有没有什么人的离去令你念念不忘
That's easy. Mao and Rielle Hunter.
当然有,毛泽东和瑞尔·亨特
And she's still lusting after Julian Assange.
而且她还惦念着朱利安·阿桑奇
Uh, look, I know I said
我知道我说过
no oncamera appearances for you,
您是不会出镜的
but I love this whole bringing
但我很喜欢这种
the chardonnay thing,
倒上一杯夏敦埃酒
super casual, loving.
舒适惬意,爱意浓浓的感觉
What about just that?
就拍这些如何
I'm April, by the way.
对了,我叫艾普丽
Marian.
玛丽安
What a pleasure.
非常荣幸
I saw your Norma at the Met.
我在大都会博物院看到你的作品《诺尔玛》
Transcendent.
堪称卓绝
She's doing it in Bologna this summer.
那是今年夏天她在博洛尼亚做的
Thank you.
谢谢
I've got rehearsal; I've got to take off.
我还要彩排,先走了
I'll be back by 5:00.
我会在5点回来
We have that Sondheim dinner birthday thing tonight.
今晚我们还要跟桑德海姆庆生
Am I not the luckiest woman alive?
我真是最幸运的女人
A little higher, babe.
再高一点,亲爱的
Attaboy.
干得好
Mmmm, higher still.
再往上点
Oh, what are they teaching these kids in film school?
电影学校都教了些什么东西给这些孩子
God knows
竟然不知道
it's not how to make us old gals
怎么打光好让我们这些老女人
look more gorgeous.
看起来更年轻些
Nothing old about you, La.
你一点都不老,拉娜
Well, thanks to a very talented surgeon in Paris
这要感谢巴黎那位有才的外科医生
and a great dermatologist.
还是个出色的皮肤科医生
So, what are we covering today?
那么我们今天要谈什么
Well, since it's a Kennedy Center honor,
您获得肯尼迪中心荣誉奖
I'd say it's a pretty big canvas.
所以重点肯定在此
Jesus, darling, I hope
天啊,亲爱的,我希望
this isn't going to feel like a eulogy.
这不会变得像是在念悼词
I will certainly ask you
我还将采访
about your notorious nailtothecross
关于您前往监狱参访
prison interview with Madoff.
声名狼藉的麦道夫的情况
But before all that,
但这些之前
I'd like to go back
我想先追溯下过去
and start with the early years.
从您早些年开始采访
The awful
那可怕的
Bloody Face saga.
血脸杀手时期
I said I wouldn't talk about that.
我说过我不会讲那事的
People want to hear about it.
但观众想知道
It's what made you famous.
这也是你成名的原因
My point exactly.
正是此因
He's become a goddamn household name.
他变成一个该死的家喻户晓的名字
Like some kind of Heath Ledger,
就像是希斯·莱杰
Hollywood movie star villain.
好莱坞电影反派明星
He was an evil monster
血脸就是个恶魔
who used murder and torture
他不断杀害和虐待
to keep himself from feeling like a eunuch.
来让自己感觉不那么像太监
End of story.
就是这样
I refuse to give him one more second of air time.
我拒绝在录播时多说他哪怕一秒
So then let's start with the event
那咱们开始说说那个
that made your reputation as a crusader for change,
让你名声急转直上的事件
the Briarcliff exposé.
揭露荆棘崖
We good to go, everyone?
我们准备开始,各位准备好了吗
Honey, hand me that mirror, will you?
亲爱的,递给我那块镜子,好吗
I like to do my own eyebrows.
我想修下眉
How do I look?
我看起来如何
Like a million bucks.
百万美元宝贝
But they're still not gonna let us
但他们还是不会让我们
in that front door with a camera.
带着摄像机从前门进
Oh, I know how to get in.
我知道怎么进去
Jesus, how did you find this place?
天啊,你怎么找到这地的
Listen, when we get inside, no matter what happens,
听着,我们进去以后,无论发生什么
or what anybody says, you keep shooting.
或者别人说什么,你们继续保持摄像
We need to document the conditions, the filth,
我们需要用影像证明这里的情况,这些污秽
these people are forced to live in.
这些被迫关于此的人们
I want the footage to shock the public
我要这些连续的镜头震惊公众
out of their complacency, you understand?
击碎他们的自满,你们明白吗
I want moral outrage.
我要在道德上激起他们的愤怒感
I want to put America in the asylum.
我要把美国民众放进疯人院
The fact that you would voluntarily
事实上你自愿
go back into the place where you almost died,
回到这个你差点丧命的地方
that's why you were held in such high esteem
这就是为什么你被全美和同行
by all of America and your peers.
赋予如此高的评价的原因
Did you always have this need for justice?
你总是充满正义吗
That's the myth.
那些是虚构的
Lana Winters, crusader.
拉娜·温特斯,改革者
It was a story that I helped to perpetuate,
这是一个更适于流传下去的故事
but, uh, it's time I come clean.
但,是时候说清真相了
It wasn't justice
并不是正义感
that got me back to Briarcliff.
让我回到荆棘崖
It was ambition.
是野心,是抱负
I knew my future wasn't in print.
我知道我的未来不会在出版业
You had an abrupt career change.
你的职业突然转变
I knew television was the future.
我深信电视业才是未来
So I got started in local news,
所以我从地方新闻开始做起
then an NBC affiliate
然后在NBC下属公司工作
before I landed my own series of investigative reports.
之后则是我自己的调查报告节目
America Unmasked.
《揭露美国》
With TV, words,
电视出现后,语言
they're less important.
就没那么重要了
You need something people can see,
你需要观众看见
visual stimulation,
要有视觉冲击
and believe me, there is nothing more stimulating
相信我,没有比看到疯子
than crazy people.
更有冲击力的了
But you need more than that.
但这还远远不够
You need an angle, a hook.
还需要切入角度和宣传手段
And boy, did I have a doozy.
我的节目堪称完美
I heard from very reliable sources that Sister Jude,
据可靠消息称,裘德修女
the nun that imprisoned me at Briarcliff, was still alive.
那个在荆棘崖监禁我的修女,她还活着
In fact, she had become a patient there herself.
实际上,她自己成了那里的病人
I was going to go into that snake pit
我要重回疯人院
and rescue her from the very place she had me committed.
把她从那个曾经监禁我的地方救出来
Milo, I told you to keep rolling.
麦洛,跟你说过要一直对着拍
Get the camera up and pointed at me.
举起摄像机,对准我
At Briarcliff Manor,
在荆棘崖庄园
it's not uncommon to see patients left on their own
连续几个小时对病人放任不管
without supervision, without stimulation, for hours on end.
无人监督,无人激励的场景比比皆是
The squalor, the filth,
这所疯人院
the decay of this institution
肮脏,污秽,腐朽的环境
is a shocking indictment
是马萨诸塞州政府
of the abandonment of her most needy
将其贫困地区彻底遗弃的
by the state of Massachusetts.
有力控诉
The Church sold Briarcliff Manor
教会在1965年秋天
to the state of Massachusetts in the fall of 1965.
把荆棘崖庄园卖给马萨诸塞州政府
Since then, conditions have deteriorated.
从那时起,情况便开始恶化
The images and sounds are far more...
这些画面和声音远比...
Ready? You need a slate?
你还行吗,要不要垫石板
Are...
你是...
Yeah, are you sleeping? Come on.
你是睡着了吗,快点
Three, two, one.
三,二,一
The Church sold Briarcliff Manor
教会在1965年秋天
to the state of Massachusetts in the fall of 1965.
把荆棘崖庄园卖给马萨诸塞州政府
Since then, conditions have deteriorated.
从那时起,情况便开始恶化
These images and sounds are far more powerful
这些画面和声音远比
than any words that can be spoken.
任何言语都有说服力
But how can I describe to you the way it smells?
但我该怎么跟你们形容这里的味道呢
It reeks of filth, of disease.
是肮脏和疾病的臭味
It smells of death.
死亡的味道
Who are you?
你们是干嘛的
Do you...
你们
have permission to do this?
有权在这里拍摄吗
You are the first attendant we've seen
你是我们来这里之后
the entire time we've been here.
见到的第一位医护人员
Is it the policy to leave patients unclothed and unclean,
让病人们衣衫不整,肮脏污秽
some of them smeared in their own feces?
有些人身上沾着自己的排泄物是你们的政策吗
Uh... I'm sorry, there's...
很抱歉,只是
just too many for us to take care of.
我们要照顾的人太多了
Right now I'm interested in one.
现在我只对其中一个人有兴趣
I demand to see Judy Martin.
我要见朱迪·马汀
Give me some light.
把灯打开
Sister Jude.
裘德修女
Judy Martin?
朱迪·马汀
Do you remember me?
你还记得我吗
You were committed to Briarcliff
你被派到荆棘崖
to cover up the abuses the church and science
掩饰教会与科学
had perpetrated against patients here.
对病人的虐待
You were left to die.
他们留你在这等死
Alone.
孤独终老
Abandoned.
无人眷顾
I've come back to help you.
我是回来帮你的
I'm going to get you out of here, Sister Jude.
我要带你离开这里,裘德修女
It's okay.
没事了
Lana... Banana.
拉娜·布拉娜
Such a powerful scene you describe.
你描绘的画面太有冲击力了
I'm embarrassed to say I don't remember it.
其实很不好意思,我都不记得了
That's because it never happened.
因为这事根本就没发生
By the time I got to Briarcliff,
我到荆棘崖的时候
Jude was gone.
裘德已经不在了
I should've gone back sooner.
我应该早点去的
But you did shut down Briarcliff.
但你关掉了荆棘崖
Yes, but it's not the ending I wanted.
的确,但这并不是我想要的结果
It was one hell of an ending,
总算是结束了
just not the one I wanted.
但并不是我想要的方式
And there's your promo.
这里你们应该插播广告了
Let's take a break. I need to freshen up.
我们休息一会儿吧,我想调整一下
Ms. Winters needs a break.
温特斯女士需要休息一下
Five and we're back.
五分钟后我们继续
Would you like something to drink?
想喝点什么
I'd love a sparkling water.
请给我一杯苏打水
Would you get Ms. Winters a sparkling water, please?
请给温特斯女士拿一杯苏打水来
Thanks.
谢谢
You're a doll.
你真乖
My pleasure, Ms. Winters.
是我的荣幸,温特斯女士
Kit. Holy shit.
基特,老天爷啊
Lana!
拉娜
I was just watching the news.
我刚才还在看新闻呢
You did it.
你做到了
You really did it.
你真的做到了
You shut down Briarcliff.
你把荆棘崖关了
What the hell's this?
这是什么
I wanted them to capture our reunion.
我希望他们能记录下我们重逢的画面
And I have a few questions I'd like to ask you.
而且我还有几个问题想问你
Questions? Yes.
问题,是的
Like who's Betty Drake?
贝蒂·德瑞克是谁
And is she here?
她在这里吗
I'll talk to you, Lana,
我会告诉你的,拉娜
but... but I'm not gonna talk to your camera.
但是,我不会对着你的摄像机说
Where'd you find this?
你从哪找到的
I was still trying to find Jude.
我还在寻找裘德
But of course
当然了
Jude hadn't existed for years.
裘德很多年前就不存在了
The Monsignor saw to that.
主教亲自负责料理的
I had no idea who I was even looking for anymore.
我都不知道我在找的到底是谁
And then I found this.
后来我就发现了这个
Betty Drake,
贝蒂·德瑞克
released to the care of Kit Walker,
在1970年3月27日
March 27, 1970.
被基特·沃克领走
That was just a few months after
就在你来签名会找我的
you came to see me at the book signing.
几个月之后
It's Jude, isn't it?
是裘德,是不是
Why do you care now, Lana?
你现在还在乎这些做什么,拉娜
We all just part of your story?
我们都是你故事的一部分吗
It's not just my story, Kit.
并不只是我的故事,基特
It's yours, too. And hers.
是你的,也是她的
You went back for her.
你回去找她
Why?
为什么
'Cause it was something I could do.
因为这是我可以做的
I mean, I couldn't shut the place down,
我不能关了那地方
I couldn't lead them all out of there like Moses.
也不能像摩西那样带他们脱离苦海
But, Jude, whatever she was,
但是对于裘德,不管她曾经如何
she didn't belong there any more than we did.
她跟我们一样,都不属于那里
I couldn't just leave her there.
我不能把她丢在那不管
After Alma died, I... started visiting her there.
从艾尔玛死后,我就经常去看她
At least once a week.
每周至少去一次
Sometimes twice.
有时候是两次
There was still life there.
她还活着
There was still someone buried deep inside.
在她内心深处仍然有着自我
But I knew that life wouldn't last long
但我知道如果没有人把她带出来的话
if nobody got her out of there.
她活不了多久的
They didn't ask a lot of questions.
他们没有问太多问题
Think they were just happy to
可能他们也很高兴
have one less patient to care for.
又可以少一个需要照顾的病人
You brought her into your home.
你带她回你家
Why'd you do that?
为什么
After all the indignities she made you suffer?
她让你受了那么多羞辱
I didn't do it for her.
我这么做不是为了她
I didn't even really do it for me.
甚至不是为了我自己
I did it for the kids.
我这么做是为了孩子们
I needed to be there for them.
他们需要我的陪伴
And the only way I could leave Briarcliff behind
而可以让我真正放下荆棘崖的方法就是
once and for all was to find some way to forgive.
找一个能让自己原谅的方式
Someone to forgive.
原谅某个人
Is she dead?
她死了吗
Go on.
快出去
The first thing we had to do
我们要做的第一件事
was see her through detox.
就是让她戒掉毒瘾
Carrot juice.
胡萝卜汁
From our garden.
我们花园种的
For a while,
有段日子
things seemed to be going along pretty well,
一切似乎都进展得很好
considering.
我这么觉得
I made a decision to just...
我下定决心
stay the course.
继续坚持下去
They loved her.
他们爱她
No matter how much she barked at them,
无论她怎么凶他们
they always understood something about her.
他们总是能理解她
So she eventually came around.
那她最终神智清醒了吗
Well, it got worse before it got better.
在清醒之前,经历了一段更坏的时期
Told you to start in the corner!
我说了要从角落开始扫
Did you think I wouldn't notice?
你以为我看不到吗
Come back here, you little shit!
小兔崽子,给我滚过来
I'll cane you!
我打死你个小兔崽子
Hey! This is not Briarcliff,
嘿,这里不是荆棘崖
and you will not hit my kids!
你也不能打我的小孩
Wait a minute.
等等
What's going on here?
这是怎么一回事
No, we do not have a children's ward!
不,我们没有儿童病房
I told your mother that. I was very clear.
我跟你妈妈说得非常明确
I was very clear! Jude!
我说得非常明确,裘德
You will address me as Sister Jude.
你得叫我裘德修女
You don't fool me, Kit Walker.
你骗不了我的,基特·沃克
I know who you are.
我知道你的底细
I know what you did.
我知道你干了什么
Killer of women.
专杀女人的凶手
No, you get away!
别过来,滚开
Get away from me! I won't go back
离我远点,我不回
in that hole! I will not!
那个鬼地方,我不要
You can't make me! Thomas!
别想逼我就范,托马斯
Get your sister and go outside.
带上你姐姐到外面去
I will not! No, you can't make me!
我不去,我是不会就范的
It's okay, Dad.
没事的,爸爸
Oh, no...
不
I still don't know what happened in those woods.
我至今不知道他们在林子里发生了什么事
When they came back...
等他们回来的时候
something was different.
情况就好多了
Grace was right.
格蕾丝说得对
Those children are special.
我的孩子们很特别
Okay, I'm gonna teach you a new step.
好,现在教你一套新的舞步
Okay. Ready?
准备好了吗
Toe, heel, step back.
脚尖,脚跟,后退
Okay, now, start again, watch me.
好,现在再来一遍,看好我
You're left, and I'm right.
你出左脚,我出右脚
Because women are always right.
因为女人总是对的
All right?
准备好
Five, six, seven, eight.
五,六,七,八
Now spin me.
带我转圈
Don't say I never taught you nothing.
别说你没从我这学到什么
Daddy, dance with me.
爸爸,和我跳舞
Come over here!
过来吧
Thomas! Come here.
托马斯,过来吧
Let me show this to you.
让我来教你
Left foot...
左脚
For six months, she taught them how to swing dance
六个月来,她教他们跳摇摆舞
and swear like a sailor.
像水手一样粗鲁地说话
Made Thomas learn to sew
让托马斯学针线活
and took away Julia's dolls
还没收了茱莉亚的娃娃
and gave her trucks so she'd grow up tough.
给她玩玩具卡车,培养她的坚毅
I don't know
也许
if those last six months made up
这六个月补偿了
for a lifetime of horrors...
那段终身难忘的恐怖经历
...but she sure seemed happy.
不过她肯定是快乐的
Come here.
过来
Come here, you two.
你们俩都过来
Come here.
过来
I got a few more things to tell you, okay?
我还有些话要跟你们说
Julia...
茱莉亚
...don't you ever...
千万别
ever let a man tell you who you are...
别让一个男人来告诉你你是谁
or make you feel...
或者让你觉得
...like you are less than he is.
你配不上他
It's 1971.
已经七十年代了
And you can do anything you want.
你能做任何你想做的事
Okay? You understand?
好吗,知道了吗
And, Thomas...
还有托马斯
don't pick your nose...
别用手挖鼻子
and never take a job just for the money.
工作别只为了钱
Find something...
找到...
that you love.
你真正热爱的
Do something you want.
做你想做的事情
Okay, boy?
好吗,孩子
Oh, I don't need that.
我不需要这个
It's mushroom barley.
是蘑菇大麦汤
You got to eat something.
你得吃点东西
No, I don't.
不,我不需要
Kids, why don't you go pile up the leaves in the yard?
孩子们,去院子里整理落叶吧
I'm staying with Nana.
我要和奶奶呆在一起
No, you guys, you should go outside and play.
不,孩子们,你们该去外面玩儿了
Go on.
快去吧
Kit Walker...
基特·沃克
you're a lucky man.
你是个幸运的人
You better not screw them up.
可别把这一切毁了
I'm here.
我在这儿
I'm not going to leave you alone.
我不会留你独自一人的
I'm not... I'm not alone.
我... 我不是一个人
She's here for me.
她在这儿陪我呢
I don't know who she was talking about.
我不知道她说的是谁
I do.
我知道
Jude...
裘德
we've been doing this dance for so many years.
我们来来往往已经这么多年了
Are you sure you're ready this time?
这次你真的准备好了吗
I'm sure.
我确定
I'm ready now.
我准备好了
Kiss me.
吻我吧
I have a feeling we're about
我感觉到我们要进入
to enter the hardhitting part of the interview.
最有看点的采访环节了
It was the pen, wasn't it?
是因为我拿出了笔,对吧
No need to take notes on powderpuff questions.
一般的问题不需要记笔记
You got me, but I'm gonna ask anyway.
真被你说对了,但我还是要问
If shutting down Briarcliff
如果关闭荆棘崖
was such an undeniable success,
是你一生中公认的成功之举
your next exposé was, to put it mildly,
那你接下来揭露的事,说得委婉点
controversial.
就很有争议了
I think half of New York wanted to lynch me,
我相信一半的纽约人都想我死
and the other half would have had me banned from the state.
剩下的希望则不想我再踏入纽约半步
Can we talk about what happened with Cardinal Howard?
我们能聊聊红衣主教霍华德吗
At the time, he was a powerhouse,
那时,他是权威人士
a rising star in the church.
是教会里一颗冉冉升起的新星
The man had avoided me for weeks.
他躲我了好几周
I went through all the official channels,
我走了所有的官方渠道
but he ignored every request I made for an interview.
但他忽视了我所有的采访请求
So, finally, I cornered him on his way to Easter Mass.
所以最后我在他去复活节弥撒的路上堵到了他
Cardinal Howard.
霍华德主教
I have nothing to say to you, Miss Winters.
我没什么要对你说的,温特斯小姐
With or without your comments, I'm airing a report
无论你作何回应,我都会在明晚
tomorrow night on Dr. Arthur Arden,
播出亚瑟·奥尔顿医生的专题报道
a man you hired to run the medical unit at Briarcliff.
他是你聘请到荆棘崖的医疗主管
We finally gained access to his files.
我们最终拿到了他的档案
Did you know he was conducting human experiments?
你知道他做人体实验吗
We found some very disturbing evidence.
我们发现了一些可怕的证据
Cardinal... Would you mind switching that off, please?
红衣主教... 能把摄像机关了吗
A number of patients disappeared under his care.
在他任职期间,很多病人失踪了
Do you have any idea what happened to them?
你知道他们遭遇了什么吗
It was over seven years ago.
都过去七年多了
You can't expect me to remember
我怎么可能还记得
anything about patients I wasn't responsible for.
那些病人,这事跟我没关系
I'm afraid you are responsible.
恐怕你脱不了干系
Everything that happened at Briarcliff
荆棘崖的所有可怕事件
happened under your authority.
都是在你管辖期间发生的
And there is no statute of limitations
而对谋杀案来说,是没有
on murder, Cardinal Howard.
诉讼时效这一说的,霍华德主教
The police have found remains,
警察在荆棘崖外的树林里
human bones in the woods outside Briarcliff.
发现了尸体和人的骨头
They're going to start asking hard questions.
他们会开始严厉拷问
And since the notorious Dr. Arden has disappeared,
由于臭名昭着的奥尔顿医生已经失踪
they're going to be looking to you for answers.
你就成了他们的审问对象
Get out of my way. What are you running from, Cardinal Howard?
别挡路,你在逃避什么,霍华德主教
Out of the way, Miss Winters!
让开,温特斯小姐
What are you running from? Happy Easter.
你在逃避什么,复活节快乐
Answer the question.
请回答我的问题
To this day, people still
直到今天,人们仍然
blame you for what happened to him.
把他的死怪到你头上
I've got broad shoulders, but I can't take credit
我敢作敢当,但真不该把
for what his guilty conscience made him do.
他因为良心发现而自尽的事归咎于我
The kind who lies to himself about being a liar.
那种自欺欺人的人
He was so corrupt and deluded, he believed his own lies.
他如此腐败,倍受蒙蔽,活在自己的谎言里
Lies are like scars on your soul.
谎言就像心灵的伤痕
They destroy you.
谎言会毁了你
I have a feeling we're not just talking
我们好像没有在
about Cardinal Howard anymore.
谈论霍华德红衣主教
Is there something you'd like to share with us?
你还有什么要告诉我们的吗
I'm going to come clean about a lie I've told for over 40 years.
我想要坦白一个我说了四十年的谎
In my book Maniac,
在《疯子》这本书中
I write about the abuse,
我写了我被虐待
the rape, the pregnancy.
被强奸,最后还怀了孕的事
I say that the baby died in childbirth.
我说那孩子在分娩时夭折了
I even wrote about a kind of poetic justice
我甚至写道这孩子死了
that the child hadn't lived.
是老天有眼
That child is alive.
但这孩子并没死
I didn't raise him, but someone did.
有人替我将他养育成人
Don't ask me to do that again.
我一直内疚不已
He'll need to learn how to live without me.
他得学会没有我也能生活
I just prayed really hard
我只是努力祈祷
that somebody else could give him
有人能给予他
the kind of mothering he'd need.
母爱的关怀
I couldn't muster it.
我记不得他的名字了
I tried, but I couldn't.
我努力想过,但还是记不得
That's quite a secret, Lana.
拉娜,这真是个惊天秘密
The only person I've told is Marian.
这秘密我只告诉过玛丽安
Do you mind if I ask,
你介意我问一下
has there been any contact since?
自那之后你还见过他吗
There was a period in the mid'70s where I suffered
在70年代中期有段时间
a terrible remorse about giving him up.
我非常懊悔抛弃了他
I used all my skills as a sleuth,
我用了所有的手段
which are myriad as we know, to track him down.
可以说是无数的手段,来找他
I just needed to see him. I didn't have a plan.
我只想见见他,没别的打算
What you got in here? You like dinosaurs?
这里面有些什么,你喜欢恐龙吗
You want to suck a brontosaurus dick?
想尝尝雷龙大屌吗
Shut up, asshole!
混蛋,闭嘴
Who are you calling asshole, faggot?
你说谁混蛋呢,死基佬
Hey, you, you little shit. You back off before I hurt you
你个小混蛋,快给我滚开
in ways you haven't even dreamt of.
要不然我就好好给你颜色看看
Are you all right?
你还好吗
Yeah, I'm fine.
还好
You know he's the asshole, right?
他就是个混蛋,对吧
Yeah, I know.
对,我知道
You should report him.
你应该打他小报告
That was the last time I saw him.
那是我最后一次见他
I wasn't his mother.
我不是他母亲
Not in any meaningful way.
任何意义上都不算
I would only confuse him.
我只会让他疑惑
But I thought about him so often.
但我总会想起他
Wondering where he was.
想想他在何处
How he turned out.
会成为怎样的人
Did you ever think about having children after that?
从那之后你还想过要小孩吗
It was a different time for gay women.
对于女同性恋来说有些不同
Most of us were resigned to not having children.
我们大部分人都觉得不该要孩子
But I was close to my friends' children.
但我和我朋友的孩子都很亲近
In fact, Kit Kit Walker
其实是基特,基特·沃克
he asked me to be godmother to his kids.
他让我做孩子们的教母
Kit got married again.
基特再婚了
He met a great girl named Allison down at the coop.
他在合作社遇到了一个叫作艾利森的好姑娘
I don't know who loved her more Kit or those kids.
我不知道谁更爱她,是基特还是孩子们
Kit always believed the kids were destined for great things.
但基特总是相信孩子们注定为美好事物而生
They grew up with that message, and they lived up to it.
他们带着这条启示成长,也没有辜负它
Thomas is a law professor at Harvard.
托马斯是哈佛大学的一名法学教授
Julie is a leading neurosurgeon at John Hopkins.
朱莉是约翰·霍普金斯大学的神经外科医生带头人
Kit would be so proud of them.
基特很为他们自豪
Is he no longer with us?
他还健在吗
When he was around 40, he developed pancreatic cancer.
大概40岁的时候,他罹患胰腺癌
By the time they found it,
发现的时候
the tumor had metastasized to the liver.
癌细胞已扩散到肝脏
They gave him chemo, but...
他接受了化疗,但
it was just a waiting game.
只能说他是在等死
The kids both offered to look after him,
孩子们都提出要照顾他
but he wouldn't hear of it.
但他已经听不到了
In those last months, he seemed more peaceful
那最后几个月,是我见过他
than I'd ever seen him.
最安宁的日子
And then the strangest thing happened.
但接下来发生了最奇怪的事情
He disappeared.
他消失了
I don't understand.
我不懂
No one did.
也没人懂
And no one could explain exactly what happened.
没人能解释究竟发生了什么
No note, no tracks, no clues.
不告而别,无影无踪,杳无音信
And no funeral.
也没举行葬礼
Kit's children insisted there was no reason to mourn.
因为基特的孩子坚持认为没有哀悼的必要
Ms. Winters, I can't tell you what an honor
温特斯女士,能采访到您
this has been for me.
我深感荣幸
Oh, try not to, darling.
别这么说,亲爱的
I just hope you got what you need.
我也希望你不虚此行
Are you kidding? I thought we'd just
当然了,我本以为只是老生常谈
be doing your greatest hits,
回顾一下您的那些伟大成就
but all the personal stuff
没想到那些私人经历
fantastic, unexpected and very moving.
也同样不可思议,感人至深
See you at the Kennedy Center.
我们肯尼迪中心再见
Can I pour you a drink?
要来一杯吗
Why don't you come out now?
你现在可以出来了
You don't need to hide.
不要再躲了
Not anymore.
别再躲着了
Let's get this over with, shall we?
这件事也该做个了结了,对吧
So I guess you've had a pretty great life, huh?
你的人生还真是了不起呢,是吧
It's been eventful.
倒不如说是命途多舛
It's about to end.
更不如说是命不久矣
You get that, right?
你懂的吧
I knew it the moment I saw you.
我一见到你,就都明白了
Mind if I ask you something?
能问你几句话吗
No.
当然
I don't mind.
请问吧
How did you manage to get yourself on the crew?
你是怎么混进刚刚那个工作组的
That shit was easy.
轻松愉快啊
I've been waiting outside the building,
我一直在大楼外守着
got friendly with the doorman,
和看门的大叔搞好关系之后
he told me about the interview.
他就把采访的事告诉了我
When the first guy showed up at dawn
天刚亮的时候就来了一个人
the guy with the doughnuts
手上还拿着甜甜圈
I cut his throat.
我割断了他的喉咙
He's in the trash bin.
尸体还在垃圾箱躺着呢
This isn't how I pictured it. Really?
我想像中的母子相逢不是这样的,是吗
Because this is exactly how I pictured it.
现在的场景倒是和我想象中的一模一样
I always knew this day would come.
我知道这一天终归会来的
I didn't think you'd recognize me.
我以为你认不出我的
How did you?
你怎么认出来的
Oh, Johnny.
小约翰尼
How could I not recognize my own baby boy?
我怎么可能连亲生骨肉都认不出
I've never seen him before in my life.
我从没见过这个人
His name's Johnny Morgan.
他叫约翰尼·摩根
48 years old, unmarried.
今年四十八岁,未婚
In and out of jail since his teens.
从少年开始,就常常作奸犯科
Nothing major till now.
不过都不是什么重罪
We think he's responsible for the deaths
但现在我们怀疑
of at least five people.
他与至少五起杀人案有关
Including the elderly couple who lived
其中包括杀害一对住在
in the house formerly owned by Oliver Thredson.
奥利弗·史莱森故居中的老夫妇
The place you were held at and tortured
温特斯女士,也就是1964年时
in '64, Ms. Winters.
您被关押和受折磨的地方
Are you sure you don't recognize him?
您确定不认识这个人
No.
不认识
You look like him, you know?
知道吗,你长得很像他
Your father.
你的父亲
It's easy for me to forget
可惜我常常忘了
just how handsome he was.
他是那样一个帅哥
Until you shot him in the head.
可惜他被你一枪爆头
Yes, I shot him in the head.
是啊,我杀了他
How did you find out?
你怎么知道的
That you murdered my father?
知道你怎么杀了我父亲的吗
About who you were.
知道你的身世
Who told you?
谁告诉你的
You did.
就是你啊
That day
那天
on the playground.
在操场上
I felt something.
我就有所察觉
And I saw you on the TV.
然后我在电视上看到了你
"That's my mother," I'd tell people.
我跟大家说,那是我妈妈
And they'd just laugh at me, but I knew.
别人都嘲笑我,可我知道那是真的
And I dreamed one day that you'd come back.
我一直盼望有一天,你能再来找我
Then I heard the tape,
可我却听到了一盘录音带
and, uh... I knew you never would.
于是我明白了,你永远不会回来了
What tape?
什么录音带
I found it on eBay.
易趣网上找到的
This monster you planted inside me, i'm getting rid of it,
我要除掉你在我体内留的贱种
and since I'm stuck here,
既然我被困在这鬼地方
I'm gonna have to get creative with this coat hanger.
我就要发挥创造力了,就用这个衣钩
Lana, no. Lana, no, please!
拉娜,不要,不要,求你了
This is a mercy killing, Oliver.
这可是安乐死,奥利弗
No baby should have to grow up knowing Daddy is Bloody Face.
孩子不该在爸爸是血脸杀手这个认知中长大
My father loved me.
我爸爸他爱我
I could hear it in his voice.
我能从他的声音中听出他的爱
That's when I started loving him
从那时起我就开始爱他
and hating you.
而恨你了
He never loved you, Johnny.
他从没爱过你,约翰尼
And you did?
难道你爱过
No, I didn't love you.
不,我没爱过你
I couldn't.
我做不到
That's why I gave you up
所以我才抛弃了你
so you'd have some shot at a life.
这样你的人生也许会有新的机会
You'd have a chance at a life, you mean!
你是想说你会有新的机会
Right?
是吗
This fancy life!
这繁荣富贵的生活
Without me!
没有我的生活
So what's it going to be, Johnny?
所以你想怎么处置我,约翰尼
I don't imagine, at my age,
我想,我这一大把年纪
you'd be much interested in the skin.
你估计对我的皮肤不会感兴趣
I've thought about this.
我想过该怎么处置你
I've thought about this a lot.
我以前时常幻想这一场景
My own gun I wasn't expecting that.
我自己的枪,这我倒是没想过
Your father once told me he didn't believe in guns.
你父亲曾对我说过,他不相信枪
Of course, he was lying about that, too.
当然了,他这也是撒谎
You don't get to talk about him.
你不许谈论他
What are you so afraid of, Johnny?
你到底在害怕什么,约翰尼
The truth about him
你怕听到有关他的真相
or the truth about you?
还是有关你的真相
I just want him to be proud of me.
我想让他以我为荣
I...
我
I can't measure up.
我不够格
No...
不
Johnny.
约翰尼
He was a monster.
他是个怪物
No. Yes, he was.
不是的,不必抵赖,他就是
No, he wasn't.
不,他不是
Yes he was, baby.
他是怪物,宝贝
But that's not you.
但你不是
You could never be like him.
你跟他远远不同
Not that...
那个我在操场上
sweet little boy
遇到的可爱的男孩
I met on the playground.
绝对跟他不同
Even then, I knew you were a better man than he was.
从那时起,我就知道你比他要善良
It's not just him that's in you.
你身上不只有他的血脉
I'm a part of you, too.
也有我的一部分
I've hurt people.
我伤害过别人
It's not your fault, baby.
这不是你的错,宝贝
It's mine.
是我的错
She's talking about the maniac, Bloody Face.
她在说那个疯子,血脸杀手
I heard he's going to be admitted here today.
我听说他今天会被押送过来
You're out of your depth,
你越界了
Miss Lana Banana.
拉娜·布拉娜女士
You want a story? Write this down.
你想要故事,那就写这个吧
A girl like you, you like to dream large.
像你这样的女孩,总是好高骛远
I'd venture you already have Briarcliff in your rearview mirror.
我猜你早就把荆棘崖的故事构思好了
You make ambition sound like a sin.
你把雄心壮志说得跟一种罪行一样
No, I'm saying it's dangerous.
不,我是说这很危险
What about you?
那你呢
Saving the souls of madmen and killers
拯救疯子和谋杀犯的灵魂
is a pretty lofty ambition, wouldn't you say?
是个不小的雄心呢,你说呢
And you cannot imagine what it took to get here.
你绝对想不到要做到这一步有多难
I'd love to hear your story someday.
改天我想听听你的故事
No.
不
I don't think you and I are destined to meet again.
我想我们注定不会再见了
But I do hope you know what you're in for.
不过我希望你能清楚今后遇到的困境
The loneliness,
孤独
the heartbreak,
心碎
the sacrifice you'll face as a woman
以及牺牲,这是有梦想的女人
with a dream on her own.
今后必将面对的
You don't have any idea what I'm capable of.
你不清楚我的能耐
Well, then.
那么
Look at you, Miss Lana Banana.
瞧瞧你啊,拉娜·布拉娜
Just remember...
要记住
...if you look in the face of evil.
当你与邪恶四目相对
evil's going to look right back at you.
你也必将沾染邪恶
Please, after you.
请吧,我随后