Chapter 7 Man Friday
第七章 星期五
For two years I never went anywhere without my gun.
两年来,没带枪我从不四处乱走。
I felt lonely and afraid, and had many sleepless nights.
我感到孤独和害怕,许多晚上无法入睡。
One night there was a very bad storm, and I thought I heard the sound of guns out at sea.
一个晚上来了一场非常厉害的风暴。我想我听到海上的枪声。
The next morning I looked out, and saw a ship.
第二天早晨我往外望去,看到一只轮船
It was lying on its side not far from the shore.
它斜搁在离海岸不远的海面上。
Quickly, I put my little boat in the water and sailed out to it.
我迅速地把我的小船拖下水并朝大船驶去。
There were two dead men on the ship, but no one alive.
船上有两个死人,但没有人活着,
The bodies of the other sailors were lost in the sea.
其他水手的尸体都消失在海上。
I took some clothes and tools, and also a box of Spanish gold and silver money.
我带走一些衣服和工具,还有一箱西班牙金币和银币,
I was a rich man now, but what use was money to me?
现在我成了一个富翁,但这些钱对我有什么用呢?
I could not buy anything with it.
我用它们什么也买不到。
I wanted people, a friend, somebody to talk to...somebody who could help me escape from my island.
我渴望人类,一个朋友,可以谈话的人……可以帮助我逃离孤岛的人。
One morning I woke up and made a plan.
有天早上我醒来作了个计划。
'I'll try to catch one of the prisoners of the wild men,' I said to myself.
“我将试图能救一个那些野人的俘虏,”我自言自语,
'He'll be happy to be alive and perhaps he'll help me to escape.'
“他将因为活着而高兴,可能他会帮助我逃跑。”
I watched day and night, but for a year and a half there were no boats.
我日夜观望着,但一年半过去了,却再也没见到船只出现。
Then one day five boats came.
有一天,海上来了五只船,
There were about thirty men and they had two prisoners.
大约有30个人和两个俘虏。
They made their fire on the sand and danced round it.
他们在沙滩上生火并围着火跳舞,
Then they killed one of the prisoners and began to cook their terrible meal.
然后他们杀了一个俘虏并开始煮可怕的食物。
The second prisoner waited under the trees, with two men to watch him.
另一个俘虏在树下等候,留有两个人看守,
Suddenly, the prisoner turned and ran.
突然,这个俘虏转身就跑,
The two men ran after him, but the other wild men were busy round the fire and did not see what was happening.
两个人在后面追赶,但其余的野人围着火忙着,并没有看见发生的事。
The prisoner ran like a wild goat, and soon I saw that he was coming near the bottom of my hill.
那俘虏像一只野山羊在奔跑,不一会儿我看到他已跑到我的山脚下。
As fast as I could, I ran down the hill and jumped out of the trees between the prisoner and the two wild men.
我尽快地跑下山去,在俘虏和另两个野人之间的树丛里跳出来。
I hit the first man with the wooden end of my gun and he fell down, but I had to shoot the second man.
我用木制的枪柄击倒第一个野人,但我却不得不开枪打死第二个。
The poor prisoner did not move. He was afraid of the noise of my gun.
可怜的俘虏没有移动,他被枪声吓呆了。
I called to him and tried to show him that I was friendly.
我大声招呼他,努力向他表明我是友好的。
Slowly, he moved nearer to me, but just then the first wild man began to get up from the ground.
他慢慢地向我靠近,但这时第一个野人开始从地上爬起来。
Then the prisoner spoke and I understood that he wanted my sword.
然后这俘虏说话了,我明白他需要我的刀。
How happy I was to hear words again!
能够听到人的语言我是多么高兴啊!
I gave him my sword, and at once he cut off the head of his enemy.
我给他我的刀,他立刻砍掉了敌人的脑袋。
Hurriedly, we hid the dead bodies under some leaves, and then left quickly.
我们急忙把尸体藏在了落叶下,然后迅速地离开。
I took my prisoner to my secret cave on the other side of the island and gave him food and drink.
我把俘虏带到岛的另一面我隐蔽的洞穴,并给他食物和水,
After that, he went to sleep.
不久,他睡着了。
He was a fine young man, about twenty-five years old, tall and well-built, with a kind face and a nice smile.
他是一个可爱的年轻人,大约25岁,身材高大健壮,和善的脸上带着开心的微笑。
He had a brown skin, black hair, bright eyes and strong white teeth.
他褐色皮肤,黑头发,明亮的眼睛和坚固的白牙齿。
I decided to give him the name of 'Man Friday', because I first saw him on a Friday.
我决定叫他“仆人星期五”,因为我是在星期五第一次见到他。
When he woke up in the morning, he ran out to me.
当他早上醒来时,他跑到我的身边。
I was milking my goats in the field, and he got down on the ground and put his head near my foot.
我正在田里挤羊奶,他跪在地上把他的头贴在43我的脚边。
I understood that he was thanking me, and I tried to show him that I was his friend.
我明白他在感谢我,我努力向他表明我是他的朋友。
I began to teach him to speak English, and soon he could say his name, 'Master', and 'Yes' and 'No'.
我开始教他说英语,不久,他能够说他的名字,“主人”及“是”与“不是”。
How good it was to hear a man's voice again!
重新听到人的声音是多么美妙啊!
Later that day we went back to my first house.
那天傍晚,我们回到我的第一次建造的房子,
We went carefully along the beach, but there were no boats and no wild men.
我们沿着海滨小心走着,但那儿没有船和野人,
Just blood and bones all over the sand.
只有血迹和尸骨散落在沙滩上,
I felt ill, but Friday wanted to eat the pieces of men's bodies which were still on the ground.
我感到恶心,但星期五想吃地上的尸体的碎块,
I showed him that this was terrible for me, and he understood.
我向他表示这对我来说很可怕,他明白了。
When we got to my house, I gave Man Friday some trousers, and I made him a coat and a hat.
当我们回到房子里,我给星期五几条裤子, 而且给他做了件外套和一顶帽子,
He liked his new clothes very much.
他非常喜欢他的新衣服。
Then I made him a little tent to sleep in, but for a few weeks I always took my gun to bed with me.
然后我给他搭了一座小帐篷睡觉,但一连几个星期我总是带枪睡觉,
Perhaps Friday was still a wild man and would try to kill me in the night.
或许因为星期五还是一个野人,也许他会在夜里杀了我。
At first, Friday was very afraid of my gun.
开始,星期五害怕我的枪,
Sometimes he talked to it, and asked it not to kill him.
有时他对枪说话,叫枪不要杀死他。
Friday was a quick learner and his English got better day by day.
星期五学得很快,他的英语讲得一天比一天好。
He helped me with the goats and with the work in the cornfields, and soon we were good friends.
他帮我养山羊和在田地里干活,不久我们成了好朋友。
I enjoyed teaching him and, most of all, having a friend to talk to.
我乐于教他,最重要的是有一个朋友可以谈话,
This was the happiest of all my years on the island.
这是我在岛上最快乐的时光。
Friday and I lived together happily for three years.
我和星期五幸福地一起生活了三年,
I told him the story of my adventures and about life in England, and he told me about his country and his people.
我告诉他我的冒险经历和在英国的生活,他告诉我有关他的国家及人民。
One day we were at the top of the highest hill on the island, and we were looking out to sea.
一天,我们站在岛的最高的山顶, 眺望大海,
It was a very clear day and we could see a long way.
天气十分睛朗,我们可以看得很远。
Suddenly, Friday began to jump up and down, very excited. 'What's the matter?' I said.
突然,星期五跳上跳下,非常兴奋。“发生了什么事?”我说。
'Look, Master, look!' Friday cried. 'I can see my country. Look over there!'
“看,主人,看哪!”星期五叫起来。“我能看见我的国家。看,就在那儿。”
I looked, and there to the northwest, between the sea and the sky, was a long thin piece of land.
我看到从这儿往西北,在海天之间,有一片狭长的土地。
I learnt later that it was the island of Trinidad,
我后来知道这是特立尼达岛,
and that my island was in the mouth of the River Orinoco on the north coast of South America.
而我的岛在南美洲北部海岸的奥里诺科河的河口。
I began to think again about escape.
我又重新开始考虑逃离。
Perhaps Friday wanted to go home too.
也许星期五也想回家。
Perhaps together we could get to his country. But what then?
或许我们能一起回到他的国家。但那会怎样呢?
Would Friday still be my friend, or would his people kill me and eat me?
星期五仍会是我的朋友么?他的伙伴会杀死并吃掉我么?
I took Friday to the other side of the island and showed him my big canoe.
我把星期五带到岛的另一边,向他展示我的庞大的独木舟。
It still lay under the trees.
它仍躺在树下。
It was very old now, and there were holes in the wood.
现在它非常旧,木头上有些洞。
'Could a boat like this sail to your country, Friday?' I asked him. 'Oh yes,' he answered.
“星期五,像这样的船能驶到你的国家吗?”我问他。“哦,能,”他回答说。
'A boat like this can carry a lot of food and drink.'
“像这样的船能装运许多食物和水。”
'Then we'll make another canoe like it, and you can go home in it,' I said.
“那么我们将制造差不多的另一只独木舟,你就可以乘着它回家了。”我说。
But Friday looked very unhappy.
但星期五看起来很不开心。
'Why are you angry with me?' he asked.
“为什么你生我的气呢?”
'What have I done? Why do you want to send me home?'
他问。“我做了什么?为什么你想送我回家?”
'But I thought you wanted to go home,' I said.
“但我认为你想回家,”我说道。
'Yes. But you must come with me.
“是的。但是你一定要和我一起去。
Kill me if you want, but don't send me away from you!'
假如你想杀我也可以,但不要把我送走!”
Then I saw that Friday was a true friend, and so I agreed to go with him.
此后我发现星期五是一个真诚的朋友,因此我同意和他一起走。
We began work on the canoe at once.
我们马上开始建造独木舟。
Friday chose the tree himself—he understood wood better than I did—and we cut it down.
星期五亲自挑选木头——他比我更懂得木材的好坏——我们砍倒树木。
We worked hard and in a month the boat was finished.
我们辛苦地工作,一个月就把船造好了。
Two weeks later it was in the sea, and we began to get ready for our long journey.
两个星期后船下水了,我们开始为长途旅行作准备。