“当然,”她说道,
She dug through a precariously stacked pile of documents on her desk till she found the ones she was looking for.
她在自己办公桌上一堆早就有所准备的文件中翻了半天,才翻到了要找的那几份,
I have your schedule right here, and a map of the school.
“我这就把你的课程表给你,还有一张校园的地图。”
She brought several sheets to the counter to show me.
她把好几张纸拿到台子上给我看。
She went through my classes for me, highlighting the best route to each on the map,
她帮我仔细检查了一下我的课程,在校园地图上把上每一节课的最佳路线都一一标了出来,
and gave me a slip to have each teacher sign, which I was to bring back at the end of the day.
然后给了我一张纸片让每个老师签字,要我在放学前再把签过字的纸片交回来。
She smiled at me and hoped, like Charlie, that I would like it here in Forks.
就像查理一样,她冲我笑了笑并希望我喜欢福克斯。
I smiled back as convincingly as I could.
我也冲她笑了笑,而且尽了最大的努力,让她相信我的微笑不是装出来的。
When I went back out to my truck, other students were starting to arrive.
我出来朝车边走去时,别的学生开始到校了。
I drove around the school, following the line of traffic.
我开车沿交通线绕学校转了一圈。
I was glad to see that most of the cars were older like mine, nothing flashy.
我高兴地看到大多数的车都跟我的车一样破,一点儿不浮华。
At home I'd lived in one of the few lower income neighborhoods that were included in the Paradise Valley District.
在凤凰城,我住在为数不多的几个低收入的居民区中的一个居民区里,而这些居民区都隶属于天堂谷行政区管辖。
It was a common thing to see a new Mercedes or Porsche in the student lot.
在学生停车区,看见一辆新梅塞德斯或者保时捷是很寻常的事情。
The nicest car here was a shiny Volvo, and it stood out.
这里最好的车是一辆亮闪闪的沃尔沃,鹤立鸡群。
Still, I cut the engine as soon as I was in a spot, so that the thunderous volume would not draw attention to me.
不过,一到停车位我还是马上就把火熄了,省得它那雷鸣般的声音把注意力吸引到我身上来。
I looked at the map in the truck, trying to memorize it now;
我在车里看了看校园地图,想当时在车上就能把它记住;
hopefully I would not have to walk around with it stuck in front of my nose all day.
这样的话,就有希望不需要一天到晚走到哪里,都得把它贴在鼻子前面了。
I stuffed everything in my bag, slung the strap over my shoulder, and sucked in a huge breath.
我把所有的东西塞进了书包,将书包带子挎在了肩上,吸了一大口气。
I can do this, I lied to myself feebly.
我可以搞定,我底气不足地对自己撒了个谎,
No one was going to bite me.
没有人会把我吃了。
I finally exhaled and stepped out of the truck.
最后,我深呼一口气从车里走了出来。
I kept my face pulled back into my hood as I walked to the sidewalk, crowded with teenagers.
我往人行道那边走去的时候,脸一直缩在帽兜里面。人行道上挤满了十几岁的孩子。
My plain black jacket did not stand out, I noticed with relief.
我朴素的黑夹克并不显眼,降低了我受到关注的可能。