I hope we don't find those poor men,Joe,I whispered.
我希望我们找不到那些可怜的人,乔,我小声说道。
I hope not either,Pip,he whispered back.It was cold,with an east wind blowing from the sea,and it was getting dark.
我也希望那样,匹普,他小声回敬了我一句。从大海刮来东风,天气很冷,夜幕降临了。
Suddenly we all stopped.We heard shouts in the distance.
突然,我们大家停止了前进,我们听到远方的嚎叫声。
This way!Run!the officer ordered,and we all rushed in that direction.
这个方向!追!军官命令道。我们迅速向喊声方向奔去。
The shouts became clearer.
嚎叫声越来越近,
Murder!Escaped convict!Help!
谋杀!逃犯!救命呀!
At last we discovered two men fighting each other.
最后我们发现了两个人在互相厮打着。
One was my convict,and the other was the man who had run away when I had seen him near the shelter.
一个是我帮助的那个囚犯,另一个是我在遮蔽体见过的那个逃窜的小伙子。
Somehow the soldiers held the men apart and put the hand-cuffs on them.
不晓得什么缘故,士兵们把两人分开,并一一戴上手铐。
Here he is,I'm holding him for you!shouted my convict.
他在这儿,是我为你们抓住的!我的那个囚犯喊着。
Officer,he tried to murder me!cried the other man.
军官,他企图杀害我!另一个囚犯哭喊着,
His face was bleeding and he was clearly very frightened.
他的脸上流着血,很明显,他非常惊恐。
Murder him!No,said the first, that would be too easy.
想杀害他!不,第一个逃犯说,杀他太容易了,
I want him to suffer more,back on the prison-ship.
我要让他多受受折磨,送回船上监狱。
He's lying,as he did at our trial!You can't trust Compeyson!
他在说谎,因为他在试探我们!你们不要相信康培生!
Just then he noticed me for the first time.I shook my head at him,to show that I had not wanted the soldiers to find him.
这时,他第一次发现了我,我向他摇了摇头,表示并不是我让士兵们找到了他的。
He stared at me,but I did not know if he understood or not.
他盯着我,我不知道他是否明白我的意思。
The prisoners were taken to the riverside,where a boat was waiting to take them on to the prison-ship.
逃犯们被带到河边,那儿有一只小船正等着把他们送到船上监狱。
Just as he was about to leave,my convict said,Officer,after my escape,I stole some food,from the blacksmith's house.
正在他离开的时候,我的那个囚犯说:军官,我逃跑后,我从铁匠家里偷了些吃的,
Bread,cheese,brandy and a meat pie.
面包、黄油、白兰地和一块肉饼,
I'm sorry I ate your pie,blacksmith.
我很抱歉,我吃了你的肉饼,铁匠。
I'm glad you did,replied Joe kindly.
你这样做我很高兴,乔很客气地说,
We don't know why you're a convict,but we wouldn't want you to die of hunger.
我们并不知道为什么你是一名罪犯,可我们总不能让你饿死。
The man rubbed his eyes with the back of his dirty hand.
这个罪犯用他的脏手背揉擦着眼睛,
We watched the small boat carry him out to the middle of the river,where the great black prison-ship stood high out of the water,held by its rusty chains.
我们望着那只小船,把他带进河中央。在那里,依靠着生锈的铁锚链固定在突出水面的那艘大黑牢船上。
He disappeared into the ship,and I thought that was the last I had seen of him.
他被押进船里,消失得无影无踪。我心想,这是我见他最后一面了。
关于《远大前程》
期间他还听说了一件故事:20多年前,老处女在结婚典礼上,被弟弟亚瑟和未婚夫康生合谋骗了一大笔钱,然后整天萎靡不振,停留在过去的回忆里。