Joe,I asked,why don't you ever rebel?
乔,我问道,你为什么不反抗呢?
Well,said Joe, to start with,your sister's clever.
唉,乔说,首先,你姐姐聪明,
And I'm not.And another thing,and this is serious,old boy,when I think of my poor mother's hard life,I'm afraid of not behaving right to a woman.
而我不行。另一方面,这一点是重要的,老伙计,每当想起我可怜的妈妈苦难的生活,我害怕对女人采取不良的行为。
So I'd much rather seem a bit weak with Mrs Joe than shout at her,or hurt her,or hit her.
因为,我必须对乔太太软弱一点儿,不能高声呼喊她、伤害她和打她。
I'm just sorry she scolds you as well,Pip,and hits you with the stick.
我很抱歉,她也责骂你,匹普,用棍子打你,
I wish I could take all the scolding myself.
我希望全部的责骂由我一人承担。
But there it is,Pip.
可是,不现实,匹普。
Just then we heard the sound of a horse on the road.
正在这时,我们听到路上的马蹄声,
Mrs Joe and Uncle Pumblechook were returning from market.
乔夫人和潘波趣舅舅赶集回来了。
The carriage arrived,and in a rush of cold air,they were in the kitchen.
马车一到,冲进一股冷风,他们进了厨房。
Now,said Mrs Joe,excitedly throwing off her cloak,if this boy isn't grateful tonight,he never will be!
嘿,乔夫人说,激动地脱掉她的斗篷,如果这孩子今晚不感恩的话,那他就是一个忘恩负义的家伙!
She's offering the boy a great opportunity,agreed Pumblechook.
她给这孩子提供了一个很好的机会,潘波趣应和着说。
Trying to look grateful,I looked at Joe,making the wordShe?with my lips.
我尽力表现出一副感恩的样子看着乔,随口吐出个字她?
He clearly did not know either.
他也不明白什么意思。
You were speaking of a she?he said Politely to them.
你们正在谈论她?他有礼貌地对他们说。
She is a she,I suppose,Mrs Joe replied crossly.
我想像的,她就是她呗,乔夫人不高兴地回答,你总不能把郝薇香小姐叫他吧,
Unless you call Miss Havisham a he.And even you wouldn't do that.
即使你也不会这样叫吧。
关于《远大前程》
在康生的指示下,他和康生的妻子合谋杀害了亚瑟谋夺了他的财产,并用这笔钱作为资金进行一些非法的贸易活动,不久,他们被逮捕了,康生把所有的罪推给逃犯,两人一起进入监狱。