If you've ever driven in LA, you know that people don't cooperate terribly well.
如果你在洛杉矶开过车,你就会知道那里路上人们配合得不是很好,
Traffic jams, folks cutting folks off,people shouting at you out their windows . . .it's a real headache.
致使交通阻塞,水泄不通,人们透过车窗口大嚷大叫,真是让人头痛!
We'd all do a lot better–at least, we'd all movethrough congestion a lot faster–if we were ants.
如果我们能效仿蚂蚁,那么,至少拥堵的交通移动地可以更快些!
Why ants, you ask?
你可能会问:为什么是蚂蚁呢?
That's what Ian Couzin of Princeton University wanted to know.
普林斯顿大学的Ian Couzin也曾经疑惑过。
You mayhave seen films of huge numbers of South American Army Ants zooming across the grass onraids and coming back with all sorts of goodies to eat.
你可能曾看过电影里成群结队的南美洲军蚁 “行军”穿过草丛,而后满载而归。
So why don't they crash into each otherand suffer ant-gridlock the way humans do?
那么,为什么他们不会撞上对方,像人类一样,交通阻塞呢?
One answer: Couzin found is that army ants follow asimple procedure:
Couzin 发现有个原因能解释:军蚁行进的方式很简单,
everybody coming home has the right-of-way.
所有蚂蚁回家都有“优先权”。
Even a simple rule like that: if you going out, same-phrase side; if you coming home, don't same-phrase side; works terrifically.
很简单的守则:出门就走同向边;回家就走逆向边,屡试不爽。
It results in a stream of home-going ants passing unobstructedthrough the center of a crowd of out-going ants.
这样一来,回家的一群蚂蚁会畅通无阻地穿过成群结队的出门蚂蚁群。
Among other things, this means raiding partiescan go any direction from the anthill, because nobody has to remember some complicated ruleabout turning left or turning right.
这样,蚁冢中的蚂蚁群可以自由行进,因为无须忌讳向左或向右的复杂规则。
Also, the guys bringing home the goodies will always beprotected on both sides by out-going ants. Simple!
两侧要出门的蚂蚁也会保护背着东西回家的蚂蚁群。再简单不过了!
So, would this work in LA?
那么,洛杉矶能借鉴吗?
Probably not. Thousands of human beings just can't be made to followa behavioral rule like that.
也许不行,成千上万的人是不可能遵守蚂蚁群的规则的。
Somebody would try to get a little bit ahead, then somebody else wouldsee that and get angry, and pretty soon, you're back to LA traffic.
有些人想方设法在更前面,其他人看到了就会生气,不一会儿,又会回到洛杉矶交通的状态。
For better or worse, people justdon't think like ants.
不管怎样,人们是无法像蚂蚁般思考的。