Close encounter two: Brookline, Massachusetts, 1984.
遭遇二: 1984年马萨诸塞的布鲁克林
I went to see the movie "Dune,"
我去那里看电影"沙丘"
and a girl talked to me. Now, on its face --
一个女孩跟我搭讪,从表面上看 --
this is impossible on its face, I realize --
我意识到,这从表面上看是不可能的 --
but it is absolutely true.
但它确实是真的.
It was opening night, naturally.
当时是首场演出.自然地.
I went with my friend Tim McGonigal, who sat on my left.
我跟我的朋友Tim McGonigal一起去看的,他坐我左边.
On my right was the girl in question.
我右边是问我问题的女孩儿.
She had long, curly black hair, a blue jean jacket.
她有长长的,卷曲的头发,蓝色的工服.
I remember, she had some sort of injury to her ankle,
我记得,她的脚有点受伤,
an Ace bandage, and she had crutches.
有绑带和拐杖.
She was very tall, I would say.
我认为她很高,
I was starting high school at the time. I would say she was a junior,
我那时是高年级学员.我觉得她应该是低年级的,
but I had never seen her before. She didn't go to my school.
但我从来没有见到过他.她也不去我们学校.
I didn't know her name, and I never will.
我不知道她的名字,知道也白搭.
She was sitting with someone who I presume was her mother,
她跟一个像她妈妈一样的人一起坐着,
and they were talking about the novel, "Dune."
她们正在讨论小说
They were both big fans, mother and daughter --
她们都是爱好者,妈妈和女儿 --
very unusual.
这不常见.
They were talking about how their favorite characters
她们正在讨论最喜欢的角色
were the giant sandworms.
是那个巨大的沙虫.
And then it got stranger.
这时,事情变的更怪了.
That's when she turned to me and said,
那时,她转向我并问道,
"Are you looking forward to seeing the movie?"
"你期待看这部电影吗?"
First of all, I was embarrassed
刚开始,我很尴尬
because I had not read the novel "Dune" at that time.
因为我从来没读过小说.
I was merely a connoisseur of movies
我仅仅一个沙漠行星主演电影的
featuring desert planets, as I still am.
一个影片鉴赏家,现在也是.
But it was also the tone of how she asked the question:
但她还是问了很多的问题:
apropos of nothing, like she didn't even care about the answer,
没什么实质的东西,就像她根本不介意答案一样,
as though she just wanted to talk to me.
仿佛她只是想跟我聊天一样.
I did not know what to say. I said, "Yes."
我不知道要说什么.我只说"是的."
I did not even turn my head.
我甚至都不转过头来.
The movie began.
电影开始了.
I need not remind you that this was David Lynch's version of "Dune,"
我不需要提醒你那部电影是David Lynch版本,
in which all of the characters
在所有的角色里,
were sexy and deformed at the same time.
畸形和性感同时存在.
There was a character called the Third-Stage Guild Navigator,
有一个字符称为剧场版航海家,
which was a kind of giant, floating fetus-creature
这是一个巨大的池塘,她孕育着生命
that lived in a giant tank with this orange mist
这个巨大的池塘散发着香橙的
of psychedelic spice
迷幻味道
swirling around him,
环绕着他,
allowing him to bend space and time.
让他有能力扭曲时间与空间.
He could never leave the tank
并永远不能离开这个池塘
or interact with the outside world.
或者说与外界有任何联系.
He had become, in his isolation,
他认为,在他的世界,
so deformed and so sexy,
丑陋与性感是并存的,
that he had to talk through a kind of old-timey radio
他通过一种老式的电台
to the outside world, and could never touch them.
向外界传播,但是永远触及不到他们.
I mean, I liked him a lot better than the sandworms.
我是说,我喜欢他们胜过沙虫.
The sandworms were fine, but your favorite character?
沙虫固然好,但你认为它是我的菜?
Please.
不是吧.
When the movie ended,
当影片结束,
everyone seemed very happy
每个人洋溢着笑容
to get up and get out of the theatre as soon as possible.
都匆忙的走出了影院.
Except for the girl.
除了一个女孩.
As I walked out, her pace slowed.
当我走过她身边,她放缓步伐.
Perhaps it was the crutches,
也许她拄着拐杖,
but it seemed --
假装是这样--
it seemed as though she might want to talk to me again.
看来她还想和我搭讪.
When I say it out loud, it sounds so ridiculous,
当我说出来,听起来却很滑稽,
but I can only come to the conclusion
我只能得出这样的结论
that it was what, in the alien abductee community,
这是一个外星球社区
they call a "screen memory":
他们称之为"萤幕记忆."
a ridiculous false recollection designed by their brain
大脑给他们一个可笑错误的记忆
to cover up some trauma -- say, of being kidnapped
去掩盖一些创伤--被外星人绑架后
and flown off to a sex pyramid.
飞往金字塔发生性关系.
And so I sure am glad
我当然很高兴
I did not slow down to talk to her.
所以我并没有慢下脚步跟她说话.
I sure am glad I never saw her again.
我很高兴从那时起我再没见过她.