But he didn't start out an outlier. He started out just a little bit better.
但他并不是一开始就是一个出类拔萃的人,他起初只不过比他人稍强一点罢了。
The second implication of the hockey example is that the systems we set up to determine who gets ahead aren't particularly efficient.
年龄相关性造成的另一个令人沮丧的结果就是,我们力图挑选最卓越者的体制并不是很有效。
We think that starting all-star leagues and gifted programs as early as possible
我们尽早设立明星联队以及天才培训计划的初衷,是建立最好的体制,
is the best way of ensuring that no talent slips through the cracks.
避免天才从我们眼皮底下流失。
But take a look again at that roster for the Czech Republic junior soccer team.
伹我们再看看捷克共和国足球队的名单,
There are no players born in July, October, November, or December, and only one each from August and September.
便会发现这里没有7月、10月、11月或者12月出生的球员,只有两名球员分别出生在8月和9月。
Those born in the last half of the year have all been discouraged, or overlooked, or pushed out of the sport.
下半年出生的球员寥寥无几,不是被人们视而不见,就是游离在球场之外。
The talent of essentially half of the Czech athletic population has been squandered.
捷克运动人口中的一半天才已经被浪费。
So what do you do if you're an athletic young Czech with a misfortune to have been born in the last part of the year?
所以,如果你是一个年轻的捷克人,你喜欢运动,但很不幸,你出生在下半年,那么,你会怎么办?
You can't play soccer.
你当然不会选择足球。
The deck is stacked against you.
这种运动的出牌方式不适合你,
So maybe you could play the other sport the Czechs are obsessed with- hockey.
所以你应该选择另外一项捷克人喜欢的运动——曲棍球。
But wait, I think you know what's coming.
但是且慢(我想你已经猜到了其中的几分原因)!
The 2007 Czech junior hockey team that finished fifth at the world championships
这是2007年排在世界第五位的捷克靑少年曲棍球队名单。
had three players born in January, five born in February, three born in March, and only two born after August 31.
一月份出生的有三名运动员。二月有五名,三月的有三名,而只有两名是八月三十一号以后出生的。
Those born in the last quarter of the year might as well give up on hockey as well.
对于出生在一年最后一个季度的人来说,他同样可以放弃曲棍球运动。
Do you see the consequences of the way we have chosen to think about success?
我们列举了这么多关于成功的事例,你从中看出一些门道了吗?
Because we so profoundly personalize success,
由于我们过于把成功放在个人身上,
we miss opportunities to lift others onto the top rung.
使得其他人丧失了出人头地的机遇。
We make rules that frustrate achievement.
我们制定的很多规则阻碍了一些人可能获得的成就,
We prematurely write off people as failures.
我们早早就断定某些人难成大器。
We are much to in awe of those who succeed and far too dismissive of those who fail.
我们对那些成功者心存敬畏,对那些失敗者却不屑一顾:
And most of all, we become much too passive.
我们大部分人因此变得逆来顺受。
We overlook just how large a role we all play,
我们在判断谁能成大事谁不行的时候,
and by "we" I mean society,
我在这里所说的“我们”,指的是社会。
in determining who makes it and who doesn't.
常常忽略了我们能扮演的角色到底有多重要,