I don't want to deprive the restaurant of its best customers,
我并不想让这家餐厅失去它最好的顾客
but after 52 years cooking for celebrities, presidents and royalty
但是有了52年为各界名流,总统和皇室做饭的经历
I'm certain I can persuade them to try some authentic home cooking.
我确定,我能说服他们尝试一下地道的家常菜
While Ching takes a break, I've offered to prepare a meal for them at Mrs Liao's house.
瀞亿休息的时候,我要去廖太太的家里为他们做一顿饭
I thought, OK, that's a good opportunity for me to actually
我想,这对我来说是一个
make sweet and sour as we Cantonese make it, which is the real thing.
做糖醋肉的好机会,用广东人的方法做,正宗的
I've come to the old Bao Hau road to buy ingredients for my sweet and sour pork.
我来到历史悠久的宝华路采买做糖醋肉所需要的材料
Guangzhou is in China's wealthiest province.
广州位于中国最富有的省份
Thanks to manufacturing, people here are among the country's highest earners.
因为制造业发达,这里的人是全国最高的收入群体
They demand quality and variety in their food, and in this market you can buy almost anything.
人们看重食物的多样性和质量,在这个市场里你几乎可以买到你想买的任何东西
Live frogs.
活青蛙
You know what we call live frogs?
你知道我们怎么称呼活青蛙吗
Chicken of the fields.
田鸡
There's a famous saying that
有句很有名的老话说
we Cantonese eat everything on four legs except the table anything that flies, except an airplane
四条腿除了板凳,带翅膀除了飞机,其它广东人都敢吃
Well, this would be nice to put in sweet and sour, it's very unusual - mangosteen.
这个放在糖醋肉里不错,这个挺特别,山竹果
Mangosteens are a South Asian fruit with a sweet, tangy flesh, which makes them ideal for this dish.
山竹果是一种东南亚水果,果肉有扑鼻的甜味,这使得它很适合入菜
I got mangosteen and some pear apples.
我买了山竹果和一些苹果梨
I learnt how to cook sweet and sour pork from my uncle Paul
我的糖醋肉是向我的叔叔Paul学的
who had a restaurant in Chicago's China Town.
他在芝加哥的唐人街开了家餐馆
He taught me which cuts of meat to look for.
他教给我要买哪一部分肉
I'm using the most tender part of the pork,
我要用最嫩的猪肉
not the belly that needs more cooking, but a piece that
不用需要更多烹饪的五花肉,而用一块
I can stir-fry very quickly and toss in the sweet and sour sauce.
我可以很快的煸炒然后放入糖醋汁中拌炒的肉
Mrs Liao is retired and lives in the commercial district of Guangzhou.
廖先生退休了,住在广州的商业区
It looks like word of my visit has spread.
看起来我要来拜访的消息已经传开了
Mrs Liao has invited the entire neighbourhood!
廖太太邀请了所有的邻居
That's a Chinese Buddha.
这是个中国佛
Chinese Buddha's are always fat.
中国的佛总是很胖
Mr Liao could not have displayed religious icons
廖先生在文革期间不能
during the cultural revolution, but, since 1978,
摆放宗教塑像,但是自1978年开始
the Chinese constitution has guaranteed freedom of worship.
中国宪法保护信仰自由
This is quite lovely.
这个非常可爱
I have the same thing in my home in Thailand.
我泰国的家里有个一样的
It's 23 years since I was last in Guangzhou,
距我上次来广州已经23年了
so before I cook dinner I'm keen to hear how life has changed for its residents.
所以做饭前,我很想听一下这些居民的生活发生了怎样的改变