As yet I had spoken to no one, nor did anybody seem to take notice of me.
我没有同人说过话,也似乎没有人注意到我。
I stood lonely enough, but to that feeling of isolation I was accustomed.
我孤零零地站着,但己经习惯于那种孤独感。
It did not oppress me much.
我并不觉得十分压抑。
I leant against a pillar of the verandah, drew my grey mantle close about me,
我倚在游廊的柱子上,将灰色的斗篷拉得紧紧地裹着自己,
and,trying to forget the cold which nipped me without, and the unsatisfied hunger which gnawed me within,
竭力忘却身外刺骨的严寒,忘却肚子里折磨着我的饥馑,
delivered myself up to the employment of watching and thinking.
全身心去观察和思考。
My reflections were too undefined and fragmentary to merit record.
我的思索含含糊糊,零零碎碎,不值得落笔。
I hardly yet knew where I was.
我几乎不知道自己身居何处。
Gateshead and my past life seemed floated away to an immeasurable distance.
盖茨黑德和往昔的生活似乎已经流逝,与现时现地已有天壤之隔。
The present was vague and strange, and of the future I could form no conjecture.
现实既模糊又离奇,而未来又不是我所能想象。
I looked round the convent-like garden, and then up at the house
我朝四周看了看修道院一般的花园,又抬头看了看建筑。
— a large building, half of which seemed grey and old, the other half quite new.
这是幢大楼,一半似乎灰暗古旧,另一半却很新。
The new part, containing the schoolroom and dormitory, was lit by mullioned and latticed windows, which gave it a church-like aspect.
的一半里安排了教室和寝室,直棂格子窗里灯火通明,颇有教堂气派。
A stone tablet over the door bore this inscription: “Lowood Institution.
门上有一块石头牌子,上面刻着这样的文字:“罗沃德学校
This portion was rebuilt A.D. , by Naomi Brocklehurst, of Brocklehurst Hall, in this county.”
这部份由本郡布罗克赫斯特府的内奥米·布罗克赫斯特重建于公元××××年。”
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.” — St. Matt. v. 16.
你们的光也当这样照在人前,叫他们看见你们的好行为,便将荣耀归给你们在天上的父。”—《马太福音》第五章第十六节。
I read these words over and over again.
我一遍遍读着这些字。
I felt that an explanation belonged to them, and was unable fully to penetrate their import.
觉得它们应该有自己的解释,却无法充分理解其内涵。
I was still pondering the signification of “Institution,”
我正在思索“学校”一字的含义,
and endeavouring to make out a connection between the first words and the verse of Scripture,
竭力要找出开首几个字与经文之间的联系
when the sound of a cough close behind me made me turn my head.
,却听得身后一声咳嗽,便回过头去。
I saw a girl sitting on a stone bench near.
我看到一位姑娘坐在近处的石凳上。
She was bent over a book, on the perusal of which she seemed intent.
她正低头聚精会神地细读着一本书。
From where I stood I could see the title — it was “Rasselas;” a name that struck me as strange, and consequently attractive.
从我站着的地方可以看到,这本书的书名是《拉塞拉斯》。这名字听来有些陌生,因而也就吸引了我。
In turning a leaf she happened to look up, and I said to her directly:"Is your book interesting?"
她翻书的时候,碰巧抬起头来,于是我直截了当地说:“你这本书有趣吗?”
I had already formed the intention of asking her to lend it to me some day.
我己经起了某一天向她借书的念头。
“I like it,” she answered, after a pause of a second or two, during which she examined me.
“我是喜欢的,”她顿了一两秒钟,打量了我一下后回答道。